I am gonna SEE ANY problem

This is a discussion on I am gonna SEE ANY problem within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone. I almost foreseen this situation when I purchased my WRX but did not mind and went ahead to ...

I am gonna SEE ANY problem

Hi everyone.

I almost foreseen this situation when I purchased my WRX but did not mind and went ahead to buy anyway. As a stick shift and kinda different/difficult to shift I did teach my wife how to drive this car but to no avail. She can actually get out from 1st gear and get the car moving BUT she just dont know when/where applicable to shift (difference on shifts). Long story short we bought a second car. Now I'm on the situation that I can't drive my WRX as OFTEN as I can. Childs' carseat are installed on the civic as well. As before, I only use it most on weekends and when I'm on second shift.

Now I can only
    1. start it on idle..
    2. drive it once a week for a very short mile..

Question is, I am going to see any problem if the car isn't use often? car has 2200miles on odo and I haven't change my 1st oil yet. Is it better to just start idle or circle around a block? Plan to change oil by miles BUT I don't see it accumulate over 3K miles in six mos.--I would think I can change oil once a year..

Recommendation/suggestions are welcome

Thanks in advance.
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If it's sitting for so long I would go ahead and change the oil to synthetic.. make sure to get it nice and warm before you do so. And I would take it around the block at least once every two weeks.

Since the car is going to be sitting so much, you should look into what your insurance company offers as far as low use rates. I know a lot of insurance companies will give you a big discount if you can show them that you hardly ever drive the car.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    If it's sitting for so long I would go ahead and change the oil to synthetic.. make sure to get it nice and warm before you do so. And I would take it around the block at least once every two weeks.

Since the car is going to be sitting so much, you should look into what your insurance company offers as far as low use rates. I know a lot of insurance companies will give you a big discount if you can show them that you hardly ever drive the car.

Yup. my insurance is really low,, I guess. Its like $114.00/mo. for BOTH car. I think they really put synthetic oil on WRX now.
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

I Support ClubWRX
    Just drive it a bit every couple weeks, keep up on the maintenance, and keep written records and receipts for everything.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have the same issue. My WRX is my third car, I only drive it on weekends really. I would get the oil changed per the manual, do what SOA tells you to for maintenance and ensure you keep all receipts like SD_GR said.

Don't just drive it around the block. That doesn't get things heated up enough. You need to do 20-30 miles to really get any benefits.

The more any car is driven, the better off it really is in terms of how many miles things last. I've been through this on many brands and models over the years, and that's pretty much a truth to all of them. Cars work better the more they're driven. Sure, you're not going to magically get 300k miles out of your AC compressor by driving it all the time, but I'd bet a car driven 30k/year will have most major components last significantly longer than a car driven 5k/year.

And oil changes should be done at least once a year regardless of mileage. More often is really pointless.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Don't just drive it around the block. That doesn't get things heated up enough. You need to do 20-30 miles to really get any benefits.

The more any car is driven, the better off it really is in terms of how many miles things last. I've been through this on many brands and models over the years, and that's pretty much a truth to all of them. Cars work better the more they're driven. Sure, you're not going to magically get 300k miles out of your AC compressor by driving it all the time, but I'd bet a car driven 30k/year will have most major components last significantly longer than a car driven 5k/year.

And oil changes should be done at least once a year regardless of mileage. More often is really pointless.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading