Are you happy with your WRX or STI?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59

This is a discussion on Are you happy with your WRX or STI? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Was thinking of buying an STI or WRX this summer. Heard the STI had reliability problems. I loved the old ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    57

    Are you happy with your WRX or STI?

    Was thinking of buying an STI or WRX this summer. Heard the STI had reliability problems. I loved the old design STI, but not so hot on the new one. Read the WRX beats the STI out the box to 60 mph. Another downfall with STI is the leather seats. Hate leather - like fabric for comfort. So scaling back and scraped the STI idea and shooting for the WRX and save some bucks as well.

    Anyway, what are you true feelings about the WRX / STI....happy or not with it?

    My only experience with Subis is a '04 Forester. Very happy with it up to 95,000 miles. then it started to fall apart. So not so happy with it. Feel it is engineered to fail at certain mileages to run up the repair bills. (Head gaskets, timing belts, wheel bearings, rattles and noises, etc.)


    The WRX will be a 2nd car, so not my main vehicle. Plan on keeping the Forester to 180,000 miles then buy another Forester (probably).

    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,709
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's a good vehicle out of the box, and even better once you start replacing limiting parts.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  4. #3
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,457
    I Support ClubWRX
    The most serious faults in the WRX/WRX STi series are the motors in a couple years' cars (late models) and the owners throughout the years.

    They make a good single car. For a second car I'd look for something either more fun or more practical, as the Impreza is in the middle.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  5. #4
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    The WRX can possibly beat the STI to 60 because of the short gears. Only one shift required in the WRX versus 2 in the STI. Personally, 0-60 is meaningless. The better tranny and extra gear and far superior in the STI. I say can possibly beat it because a good driver could make the 3 shifts quickly and beat the WRX.

    Leather is only standard in the Limited model, otherwise you get cloth in the STI.

    Suspension is far superior in the STI. So are brakes. So is the tranny. So is the motor.

    Personally, if you really love cars and can look past nonsense like a 0-60 time deciding what's a better car, then the STI wins hands down. But what do I know, I only buy new cars twice a year and the STI is the first car I've ever bought again.
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 02-28-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The most serious faults in the WRX/WRX STi series are the motors in a couple years' cars (late models) and the owners throughout the years.

    They make a good single car. For a second car I'd look for something either more fun or more practical, as the Impreza is in the middle.
    My mistake for not being clearer.

    It would be my 2nd car and families 3rd car. My wife has a Chevy Impala for family use as well. My kid moved away, so it is only the 2 of us. She does not drive stick, so it is my car.

    I want one for something fun to drive with a stick, acceleration and handling.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The WRX can possibly beat the STI to 60 because of the short gears. Only one shift required in the WRX versus 2 in the STI. Personally, 0-60 is meaningless. The better tranny and extra gear and far superior in the STI. I say can possibly beat it because a good driver could make the 3 shifts quickly and beat the WRX.

    Leather is only standard in the Limited model, otherwise you get cloth in the STI.

    Suspension is far superior in the STI. So are brakes. So is the tranny. So is the motor.

    Personally, if you really love cars and can look past nonsense like a 0-60 time deciding what's a better car, then the STI wins hands down. But what do I know, I only buy new cars twice a year and the STI is the first car I've ever bought again.
    Was told the STI motor is not reliable.

    I can't afford to buy disposable cars as you do. If I buy a car every 7 or 8 years I'm lucky.

    What is the feedback on reliability for the STI motor vs WRX??

    Don't like tickets for going flat out. So, 0-60 is important to me. I like the seat suction.

    But brakes, handling and the rest important too. So keeping an open mind for the STI, but if no cloth seats it kills the deal.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It's a good vehicle out of the box, and even better once you start replacing limiting parts.
    What kind of parts?

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    47
    That really depends on what you need. If you like just a DD, fun car without spending too much on gas and insurance then I think wrx is a safe bet. STI is better than the wrx in almost any aspect. 0-60 might be on the Wrx but if you only care for that then that's pointless. Sti's better brakes, suspension, intelligent awd and etc...

  10. #9
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,935
    I Support ClubWRX
    WRX/STI's, as with many turbocharged cars, come fairly well restricted from the factory. Some simple changes make a big difference in power output, and handling as well... Though one could argue that the newer models come with a good amount of power already on tap. Typically people are talking about tuning and turboback exhausts.

    If you want reliable, leave it stock and treat it well. Don't expect Toyota Corolla levels of longevity, but it should give you good service. One thing to bear in mind is that these cars attract young guys that want to modify. As a result, the cars tend to take a beating. The previous owner of my wagon was apparently such a person. Now I have a bigger engine and turbo. It's a real drag.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  11. #10
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,709
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by slackercruster
    What kind of parts?
    Wherever you feel the car is lacking. Push your car to the limits in a controlled environment, and modify as you see fit
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  12. #11
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,144
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quite happy for the most part. Can't imagine being this happy nearly 7 years after buying it without the seemingly endless mods.

    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It's a good vehicle out of the box, and even better once you start replacing performance limiting parts.
    Fixed.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson View Post
    That really depends on what you need. If you like just a DD, fun car without spending too much on gas and insurance then I think wrx is a safe bet. STI is better than the wrx in almost any aspect. 0-60 might be on the Wrx but if you only care for that then that's pointless. Sti's better brakes, suspension, intelligent awd and etc...
    Intelligent awd...is that worthwhile? How would it differ from the awd on my Forester? Is it reliable?

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    WRX/STI's, as with many turbocharged cars, come fairly well restricted from the factory. Some simple changes make a big difference in power output, and handling as well... Though one could argue that the newer models come with a good amount of power already on tap. Typically people are talking about tuning and turboback exhausts.

    If you want reliable, leave it stock and treat it well. Don't expect Toyota Corolla levels of longevity, but it should give you good service. One thing to bear in mind is that these cars attract young guys that want to modify. As a result, the cars tend to take a beating. The previous owner of my wagon was apparently such a person. Now I have a bigger engine and turbo. It's a real drag.
    Yea, I hear ya. I'd be buying a new car. I'm an older guy. Late 50's. I used to drive sticks back in the day. Miss them. As you age it is good having stick training to keep all limbs in coordination. I drive dirt bikes for the same reason. Great coordination and balance training.

    Not looking for the last drop in HP. Not a racer / tuner, but still like some speed and handling fun. I live in a mountainous region, so lots of winding roads for a good handling car. Not counting the high power brakes on the STI, would an STI perform better on winding roads than a WRX?

    What about the SS exhaust Subi sells? Is it something you would recommend to open up the motor for a STI or WRX?

    When you talk about reliability lacking to that of a Toyota Corolla. What sort of problems have you had with your STI / WRX that were disappointing to you?

    Like you felt the problem should not have occurred if it was built better? Or is this issue one that stems from the aforementioned 'young guy' abuse and mods?

  15. #14
    Registered User Daddy_Digital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    368
    my wrx has 64k miles on it, and its a 2002. looks good. only prob i have right now i have alil leak on the tranny. getting that fixed saturday. other then that, car runs great and is comofy as all hell. i feel safe driving it too. the newer STi/WRX are pavement queens since Subaru dropped out of the WRC, not so much race and development inplemted in their newer cars i would assume.

  16. #15
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,935
    I Support ClubWRX
    I should probably explain a little further...I bought the car (a 2002) from a youngish guy in January of 2006. In 2009, the engine started smoking badly; the local shop diagnosed a dying turbocharger. Also, one of the cylinders failed its leakdown test. I adore the car, so I decided to drop some money into it rather than go buy another. I wound up replacing the engine and tuning it with some performance parts. I can't prove that the prior owner is to blame...I know that I had zero issues out of the WRX that I previously owned, which I bought new. Bottom line is none of this matters much if you're buying new.

    My comment about the Corolla...a Corolla's engine is well engineered and somewhat "unstressed". It doesn't make a boatload of power, have forced induction, etc, so the probability of something going awry are low compared to a performance engine. Subaru builds a great engine, IMO, but throw a turbocharger on any engine and start hunting for higher output, and the likelihood of something breaking goes up. Make sense?

    Welcome aboard, btw. At 44, I'm not a spring chicken around here, either.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •