Are you happy with your WRX or STI? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Are you happy with your WRX or STI? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The WRX made the better road car of the two, especially before 2008. Now they've made corrections to the STi ...

I Support ClubWRX
    The WRX made the better road car of the two, especially before 2008. Now they've made corrections to the STi and its faults are less intrusive, so the gap has narrowed.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The new Sti is no doubt worth the extra money over a wrx, but for me it's better option to get the wrx and put wheels and suspension on due to the fact the wrx will be just as much fun on the street as an Sti as I have no plans to track my car. I also hate the mongo spoiler on the back Lol. The 5dr is pretty sweet though and def love the alcantara interior.

I Support ClubWRX
    The 5dr is a very smart body style and they really helped themselves out by making it available.

I like alcantara too but it is probably not pet-friendly (previous poster has dogs, as do I).

The wing can be a bit much, you're right.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Well that's your opinion I guess, but I'd personally take a 11 wrx with those mods over a stock Sti. Unless I planned on building an all out track car due to the Sti having better drivetrain. 2k could get you pretty nice coilovers for a street car as well.
    Well I'm confused then. You're willing to spend $7-9k extra on a WRX, essentially making as if not more expensive than an STI, plus killing your warranty? Sorry, I don't understand that logic... $2k won't get you nic3e coilovers, it'll buy adequate ones (without alignment or installation). A good set of springs and struts is a much better and cheaper option for a street car.

The new Sti is no doubt worth the extra money over a wrx, but for me it's better option to get the wrx and put wheels and suspension on due to the fact the wrx will be just as much fun on the street as an Sti as I have no plans to track my car. I also hate the mongo spoiler on the back Lol. The 5dr is pretty sweet though and def love the alcantara interior.
    So if you're saying the STI is no doubt worth the extra money, what exactly are you saying? I'm confused.....

The mongo spoiler can easily be cured by buying it with a WRX spoiler, or doing a trunk swap. Either is a free option.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Because if your only buying it for a street car that usually means acceleration and comfort what drives you most and for the 9k more of an Sti you can make a wrx faster look better than a stock Sti.

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru is better at building Subarus. They've been doing it longer and have more resources. They can also do it cheaper.

Spending 40% of a new car's value to void the warranty doesn't seem fiscally sound, especially since the results will be questionable compared to a works spec car.

Guess that's where I'm different, when I buy a new car it's for it's potential and how much I like the car not the warranty. I'd buy a ford focus and leave it stock and drive the piss out if it. there is regulations and emissions involved when a factory builds a car to sell and they obviously don't build them to their full potential otherwise average joes couldn't afford them. So your saying that everyone should buy a new car for what it is and don't mod it? To each there own, but if I'm spending 30k on a car I'm gonna make it perform the way I desire and not give a rip about some stupid warranty that they usually jerk you around on anyways if you need the repair. If you can't afford to fix it then don't buy it.

I Support ClubWRX
    So your saying that everyone should buy a new car for what it is and don't mod it?
    Yes.

To each there own, but if I'm spending 30k on a car I'm gonna make it perform the way I desire and not give a rip about some stupid warranty that they usually jerk you around on anyways if you need the repair.
    I have never had a warranty claim problem, even though I do my own maintenance. Why? Because I keep receipts and I don't use imitation parts. I use authentic, authorized parts.

If you can't afford to fix it then don't buy it.
    Why use unauthorized or imitation parts on a new car? I don't see the logic, sorry. Like you said, to each their own. Incidentally, I can generally afford to fix it as you said -- one reason is that I generally don't have to, so I have the money.

We have different perspectives. That's what makes the site interesting. I enjoyed the discussion.

SD

Guess that's where I'm different, when I buy a new car it's for it's potential and how much I like the car not the warranty. I'd buy a ford focus and leave it stock and drive the piss out if it. there is regulations and emissions involved when a factory builds a car to sell and they obviously don't build them to their full potential otherwise average joes couldn't afford them. So your saying that everyone should buy a new car for what it is and don't mod it? To each there own, but if I'm spending 30k on a car I'm gonna make it perform the way I desire and not give a rip about some stupid warranty that they usually jerk you around on anyways if you need the repair. If you can't afford to fix it then don't buy it.
    I'm absolutely not saying don't mod it. But for the $7-9k price difference of getting a WRX to work like an STI (ignoring the DCCD and 6 speed), I can buy an STI and go stage 1 and be significantly above where the $7-9k of mods on a WRX are.

It comes down to what you want. If you want high performance, then you must go with the STI. If you're willing to sacrifice a bit of performance, then by all means go with a WRX. But for discerning drivers that really know the difference, a stock STI >>>>> than a modded WRX.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I had my 07 WRX to stage 3... Drove awesome, and I felt so great about doing it all myself. That is when I started noticing "why does 4th gear grind"? I had a car perfectly under warranty that would have fixed that issue just fine - but not after what I did to it. It stressed me out like crazy.

The STI is what I wanted. I am glad I have one now instead of trying to build it from the WRX. Only mods have been a new headunit/sub, and cheap rims/snow tires.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I'm happy with my WRX. I should have bought a limited but I was just so damned happy to be able to get a WRX that I got a TR. I'm living with it for now. My only complaints are all TR oriented. I miss the comfort features of my Touring Z. But hey, overall, this car is awesome!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    It comes down to what you want. If you want high performance, then you must go with the STI. If you're willing to sacrifice a bit of performance, then by all means go with a WRX. But for discerning drivers that really know the difference, a stock STI >>>>> than a modded WRX.
    I honestly enjoy working on cars...but as time passes I'm getting more into a "buy what you want in the first place" mentality, with regard to performance.
    Generally, Car manufacturer's engineering & execution >> Ray's engineering & execution.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Ive also heard that the STI motor isnt reliable... is that really true???

Quote Originally Posted by tunedbysti View Post
    Ive also heard that the STI motor isnt reliable... is that really true???
    Only if you don't maintain it properly
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234