Are you happy with your WRX or STI? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Are you happy with your WRX or STI? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wondering who decided to make up something like "STI motor is unreliable..." I'm over 90k on my STI now...I'm the ...

Wondering who decided to make up something like "STI motor is unreliable..."

I'm over 90k on my STI now...I'm the second owner, its a 2005. Yes its an older gen, but the engine is still the same basic thing as on the new ones, just a couple horsies less. It has never had a single issue in its life. No blip or hesitation anywhere.

Before this, I had a 2007 STI I bought brand new and owned for almost 60k miles in 2 and a half years. Not a single issue for any of those miles either, with 45k of those protuned at Stage 2 with 310whp/330wtq

...So 150k miles total on 2 Subaru STIs...no issues...reliability is up there. I enjoy my car, get it into boost, have fun with it, and so on. But as Ray says...when you get to forced induction, it takes away from the "safe/cover our ass" reliability that a Civic or Corolla has. But when Subaru can build a F/I car that still keeps pretty damn reliability, with many, many known WRXs and STIs getting to 150k miles as of now, that says something about the overall build quality.

Of course...if you take care of your car, it will take care of you right back...keep that in mind
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by slackercruster
    Not looking for the last drop in HP. Not a racer / tuner, but still like some speed and handling fun. I live in a mountainous region, so lots of winding roads for a good handling car. Not counting the high power brakes on the STI, would an STI perform better on winding roads than a WRX?
    The gap has narrowed a bit with the newer model vehicles, but yes, it would.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    probably the guy who threw on a boost controller and was running 30 PSI with a BOV & TBE with no tune.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
    Intelligent awd...is that worthwhile? How would it differ from the awd on my Forester? Is it reliable?
    i dont own an sti but it's a something you can change how you want the awd to react, throttle response, power to front or back wheels: sport, sport sharp, very sporty? and intelligent..

kinda like the evo with selectable awd: tarmac, gravel and snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

I'm over 90k on my STI now...I'm the second owner, its a 2005. Yes its an older gen, but the engine is still the same basic thing as on the new ones, just a couple horsies less. It has never had a single issue in its life. No blip or hesitation anywhere.

Before this, I had a 2007 STI I bought brand new and owned for almost 60k miles in 2 and a half years. Not a single issue for any of those miles either, with 45k of those protuned at Stage 2 with 310whp/330wtq

...So 150k miles total on 2 Subaru STIs...no issues...reliability is up there. I enjoy my car, get it into boost, have fun with it, and so on. But as Ray says...when you get to forced induction, it takes away from the "safe/cover our ass" reliability that a Civic or Corolla has. But when Subaru can build a F/I car that still keeps pretty damn reliability, with many, many known WRXs and STIs getting to 150k miles as of now, that says something about the overall build quality.

Of course...if you take care of your car, it will take care of you right back...keep that in mind
    Read it in a review. Said the motor had trouble in the test. Had to replace the block and sited reliability issues...but was just one review? (From what I recall anyway.)

Maybe it was just an oddball case??

I hear Subi is coming out with a next gen engine with timing chain. Will it be on the '12 WRX / STI?

What do you guys think of it?

...and thanks for ALL the feedback from everyone!
    Last edited by slackercruster; 02-28-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Here it is...down about 1/4 of the page.

(If it were up to us, we might have asked for better reliability; our long-termer required a new short block during its stay.)

Subaru WRX STI Review: 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Drive
    Last edited by slackercruster; 02-28-2011 at 03:54 PM.

I guess we can sum up this thread by asking the question...

Is there another car within or close to the price of a WRX or STI that prefroms better and is an all around better car?

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess we can sum up this thread by asking the question...

Is there another car within or close to the price of a WRX or STI that prefroms better and is an all around better car?
    This might be the wrong place to ask that question.If you are looking for something in the price range of an STI then you might try the EVO.If its something closer to the WRX maybe the MS3 or the GTI.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 02-28-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Here it is...down about 1/4 of the page.

(If it were up to us, we might have asked for better reliability; our long-termer required a new short block during its stay.)

Subaru WRX STI Review: 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Drive
    That was a good article/review. But I'm apprehensive about them talking reliability. We have no terms and conditions on what happened, where, and why. If reliability really was that big of a deal/concern for them, they would have made a MUCH bigger deal of it, especially in a review by a pretty well regarded magazine.

I honestly don't think there will be a problem with an STI engine. They are supposed to be tanks. But with the amount of flogging they may have done while testing could have done something in a brand new car. Its still too early at this point to tell if there was perhaps a bad batch of engines like the 09 WRXs had where some from a couple month period of a manufacture date (07/08-09/08)...they were prone to spun rod bearings after a few thousand miles. But Subaru would Warranty all those and would replace the blocks. But that's a manufacturing defect as opposed to a "reliability" issue...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I have had my WRX since 2002 (104K miles). The only problem it has given me is the stock radiator cracked and when it is really cold I get a small fuel leak. This car has been super reliable and has gotten me through many wicked snow storms. I love my WRX.

As for your question about which is better. I would say the STi is definitely a better car but it is also a lot more expensive. You get what you pay for I guess. Maybe you should also look at the Legacies.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I'm probably going for the STI with cloth seats, but still have to drive one and compare to a WRX.

I drove an older STI in 04 and loved it. Will see how I like a 6 speed vs a 5 speed WRX or if a 6 speed is too much shifting for me?

I got nothing againt shifting, but don't wnat to be a slave to it. On the other hand, 6 speeds and windy mountain roads may work best together.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I owned a 2007 WRX, then bought my '11 STI. Other than some rattles on my STI, it is a far superior car in every way. Don't believe the hype on the WRX being faster 0-60 in a straight line. While it is possible - it would take an expert driver to overcome the 40+hp the STI has. Factor in the suspension, and the WRX can't corner as well.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Was told the STI motor is not reliable.

I can't afford to buy disposable cars as you do. If I buy a car every 7 or 8 years I'm lucky.

What is the feedback on reliability for the STI motor vs WRX??

Don't like tickets for going flat out. So, 0-60 is important to me. I like the seat suction.

But brakes, handling and the rest important too. So keeping an open mind for the STI, but if no cloth seats it kills the deal.
    Who told you the STI motor isn't reliable? That unqualified opinion is useless.

If brakes and handling are important, then get the STI (cloth seats are standard). You'll still get plenty of suction with the STI. You have to shift out of 2nd at about 55 mph. So unless you're really concerned with hitting the magical 60 to say the car is fast, you're driving a faster car than the WRX.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    Who told you the STI motor isn't reliable? That unqualified opinion is useless.
    He linked to the C&D article where they had to get a motor replaced under warranty.

The STI engines do not last the way they used to. '04/'05 tended to take a lot more than '06+...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    He linked to the C&D article where they had to get a motor replaced under warranty.

The STI engines do not last the way they used to. '04/'05 tended to take a lot more than '06+...
    Plenty of people on this forum with 04/05 motors have been replaced. Even vanilla Honda Accord/Civic motors have a non-zero fail rate. I agree with teflon_jones.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast