New to Manual Transmissions
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to Manual Transmissions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I just bought a WRX and I'm getting my learners in a few weeks. I've been driving (stalling ...

Question New to Manual Transmissions

Hey guys, I just bought a WRX and I'm getting my learners in a few weeks. I've been driving (stalling) around the neighborhood and I dont understand how to balance the gas and clutch when switching to second gear. When I go into second, the car jerks, is that due to too little gas when letting off the clutch? Also, how long before I can let my foot off the clutch when going into second? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's jerking because you're probably dropping the clutch hard. Don't sidestep, slowly let it out.
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

it takes time to learn slowly and i mean slowly let of the clutch and it wont stall you only need a little gas, and if you are driving it hard and shift it will jerk. treat it like if it were a baby, push the clutch slowly drop it into gear and then release clutch. you have plenty of time later to experiment, for now just cover the basics
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You need to balance the clutch release with some throttle to find the correct RPM to shift. The car is jerking because you are letting out of the clutch in the incorrect RPM range and the synchros are picking up the slack.

1. Are you familiar with the resistance zone of your clutch?
    2. If you are shifting at 3500 RPM out of first, your 2nd gear will be at about 2200 RPMs at the same speed. If you don't match the RPM and/or let the clutch out too quickly, the car will jerk. It's the equivalent in second gear to stalling your car in first.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    BTW don't be embarrassed about the stalling, you're learning . I learned manual when I was the same age as you, before I got my license. Even now, 11 years later, I still stall at stoplights on a rare occasion Now THAT'S embarrassing!

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    After almost 18 years of driving mostly manuals I still stall now and then.If you got the car going ,that in itself is an achievement.Take your time,let go of the clutch slowly & you should be good.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

i learned at your age as well. but sounds like you made it into 1st gear, which is the hardest part... just keep practicing, youll get the hang of it. its all in muscle memory, eventually you wont even think about it, and thats what a lot of new people do as well, they think instead of feel.

we all stall every now and then, and yes it is embarrassing when someone sees lol.

my one suggestion, once you get the feel of it, please, for the love of god, practice getting the car going on a steep hill... i promise you there will be nothing worse than being stopped on a hill with 10 cars behind you, and you finally realize oh sh*t i cant go anywhere.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

Banned
    You are probably shifting to fast. Just try different speeds until you find what works for your car. My 2011 is a slooooow shifter.

To they guys that said the occasionally stall. Under what conditions? The only time it ever happens to me is if I am parking and I let the clutch out before I have shut the engine off! I never stall out on the road though. 9 years of driving/9 years of clutching. I never think about it (except right now because I am learning the WRX)

Oh yeah, steep hills, use the e-brake! This new WRX has the hill start assist. Its weird....
    Last edited by Marioshiboi; 02-25-2011 at 08:54 AM.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    To they guys that said the occasionally stall. Under what conditions? The only time it ever happens to me is if I am parking and I let the clutch out before I have shut the engine off!
    Sometimes when I'm in traffic, not using any throttle, just riding the clutch, not paying any attention, putting on my makeup, etc.

Facebook me here

I too learned on a stick shift. It was a 1976 Ford Courier pickup (although everyone knows it was really a Mazda...). The clutch pedal was really stiff and 2nd gear was a trap gear and it never wanted to engage without some convincing. I've been driving 12 years now and I also stall once in a while. Always right out of 1st gear because I don't give it enough gas and it sputters out and dies on me.

After enough practice you'll be shifting by sound and feel. You just know when it's time to shift. The real challenge for me now is getting my wife to learn stick...

Thanks guys! I was able to shift to second smoothly today! I found that I was letting off the clutch to quickly. Now I let off of it more slowly and I'm listening to all of you guys' advice. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    To they guys that said the occasionally stall. Under what conditions? The only time it ever happens to me is if I am parking and I let the clutch out before I have shut the engine off! I never stall out on the road though. 9 years of driving/9 years of clutching. I never think about it (except right now because I am learning the WRX)
    I find it hard to believe you NEVER EVER stall on the road. If that's the case, then you give it a lot of gas to get started every time and you wear out your clutches unnecessarily. Anybody that drives stick stalls unless they rev too much all the time. It's inevitable.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Anybody that drives stick stalls unless they rev too much all the time.
    I manage to do both.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TopGearAddict View Post
    Thanks guys! I was able to shift to second smoothly today! I found that I was letting off the clutch to quickly. Now I let off of it more slowly and I'm listening to all of you guys' advice. Thanks again
    great,very soon you'll be shifting like Gary Sheehan

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I find it hard to believe you NEVER EVER stall on the road. If that's the case, then you give it a lot of gas to get started every time and you wear out your clutches unnecessarily. Anybody that drives stick stalls unless they rev too much all the time. It's inevitable.
    What do you consider too much? I assume you are talking about starting in first, otherwise there is no revving going on...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast