New to Manual Transmissions - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on New to Manual Transmissions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Asharus It's definitely a lot different from my previous car (2001 540i/6). I used to be able ...

Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    It's definitely a lot different from my previous car (2001 540i/6). I used to be able to rev to 1100 with no issues starting off in 1st, but I find that I have to go between 1500-2000 on this car so I don't stall.
    Its mostly because you're motivating twice the amount of drivetrain on a car that weighs about same. I'm assuming your Bimmer had the straight 6 too? They have a nice linear torque curve too so they're naturally smoother off the start.

Not sure if I mentioned yet in this thread or not (I've mentioned it just about everywhere else) adding the diff mount inserts and subframe stiffening bushings makes a massive difference in how the car will motivate off the line. I dont have to get mine over 1300-1500rpm at all to make a nice smooth start where as before I used to have to leave off between 1500-2k rpm. With less flex in the driveline there's less torque lost so more of it can go to motivating the car. I can squish the factory trans mount in one hand.. and I work on computers all day. That should give you a rough Ideer of how soft and squishy the driveline bushes are.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I think I know what you're talking about here...you just give the throttle a little blip to give the clutch a chance to catch, as the RPMs come down, the clutch pedal comes up and it catches smoothly, with minimal slip...I'd venture to say that's pretty much what everyone kinda does.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by pwbeninate View Post
    also seems like i have to wait almost 3 seconds before fully letting the clutch out in 1st to get a smooth start... seems like a really long time. am i wearing the clutch too much?
    3 seconds??? That does sound like a lot of wear if you are pressing the clutch in partially during that time...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Its mostly because you're motivating twice the amount of drivetrain on a car that weighs about same. I'm assuming your Bimmer had the straight 6 too? They have a nice linear torque curve too so they're naturally smoother off the start.
    No, it had a 292HP/324TQ V8. Interesting point on that tranny mount bushing. Why did Subaru use such a crappy bushing?

No, it had a 292HP/324TQ V8. Interesting point on that tranny mount bushing. Why did Subaru use such a crappy bushing?
    Nice.. yeah thats quite a bit more torque than the boxer .. the soft trans mount is for noise/vibration reduction. The grp N mount transmits quite a bit more noise into the car, but at the same time doesn't really flex much at all.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    I've always liked those 540i's. I almost bought one instead of my subie. I always thought BMW could have gotten a lot more power out of them, though. They do have a mountain of torque, though. Its like having your own personal hurricane to push you around...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Indeed, it was a fun car. Punching it in 2nd felt awesome. I'm hoping I can get the same thrill with the WRX. Only 300 more miles until I find out... BTW here's my ex 540i.

YouTube - 2001 BMW 540i/6

Indeed, it was a fun car. Punching it in 2nd felt awesome. I'm hoping I can get the same thrill with the WRX. Only 300 more miles until I find out... BTW here's my ex 540i.

YouTube - 2001 BMW 540i/6
    Jebus that video almost made me nauseous...hold still damnit

I have always loved those 540i's...I was looking for one with a 6-spd back in 2003-2004 after I totaled my 318i...but just couldn't find one in good shape. LOVE the 7-series wheels especially.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Jebus that video almost made me nauseous...hold still damnit

I have always loved those 540i's...I was looking for one with a 6-spd back in 2003-2004 after I totaled my 318i...but just couldn't find one in good shape. LOVE the 7-series wheels especially.
    Mikie...I fear we are too much alike. I actually found a 540i with a 6spd but the dude wanted like 2k over what it was worth. The icing on the cake was he had a Lambo, Ferrari, and several other high dollar toys in his garage. I got him down to 15k and I had a check in my hand for 13k. Then he had the nerve to say "What's a couple grand?" I basically gave him a big "Eff you" speech and left his house. I know the 5 series in and out and the problems they have. For example...his control arms needed to be replaced. I could hear the ball joints clunking on every bump. He told me it was rocks in the hub cap. I asked how the eff do you get rocks in a sealed hubcap? The rear passenger window wouldn't roll up either. He was telling me he would take it in to get fixed if I gave him 15k. I told him that general maintenance doesn't make his car worth 2k over high retail. I was being generous by giving him high retail. Lastly, he didn't even let me drive the car. Which was the ultimate nail in his coffin. I wouldn't buy a car I didn't test drive.

/rantfromanexperiencethathappenedabout6yearsago

Just be glad you didn't end up buying that car. It's got many impending issues that are just waiting to happen. For example, Valley Pan Gasket leaks, brittle plastic timing chain rails disintegrating, brittle auto leveling plastic headlight adjusters, fragile window regulator (which the car you looked at it had), etc. etc.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just be glad you didn't end up buying that car. It's got many impending issues that are just waiting to happen. For example, Valley Pan Gasket leaks, brittle plastic timing chain rails disintegrating, brittle auto leveling plastic headlight adjusters, fragile window regulator (which the car you looked at it had), etc. etc.
    Yeah I know. Stupid BMWs

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Mikie...I fear we are too much alike. I actually found a 540i with a 6spd but the dude wanted like 2k over what it was worth. The icing on the cake was he had a Lambo, Ferrari, and several other high dollar toys in his garage. I got him down to 15k and I had a check in my hand for 13k. Then he had the nerve to say "What's a couple grand?" I basically gave him a big "Eff you" speech and left his house. I know the 5 series in and out and the problems they have. For example...his control arms needed to be replaced. I could hear the ball joints clunking on every bump. He told me it was rocks in the hub cap. I asked how the eff do you get rocks in a sealed hubcap? The rear passenger window wouldn't roll up either. He was telling me he would take it in to get fixed if I gave him 15k. I told him that general maintenance doesn't make his car worth 2k over high retail. I was being generous by giving him high retail. Lastly, he didn't even let me drive the car. Which was the ultimate nail in his coffin. I wouldn't buy a car I didn't test drive.

/rantfromanexperiencethathappenedabout6yearsago
    I had $15k in hand and was at a used dealer when I found mine...it was a 98 I believe. It had 140k on the clock and the dealer wouldn't move from $17k for it AND it was in need of a new clutch. Shady place, so I walked away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.