New to Manual Transmissions - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to Manual Transmissions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If you are really good at driving manual...you won't need an ebrake on a hill...just saying Cool vid BTW......

If you are really good at driving manual...you won't need an ebrake on a hill...just saying

Cool vid BTW...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Depends on the grade me thinks. Surely I can hold the car for a second with the clutch partway out but on a very steep hill you would stall instantly. Think San Francisco streets where the stop sign is at the top of a 18% grade and some a-hole is right on your bumper.

hill assist is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    Depends on the grade me thinks. Surely I can hold the car for a second with the clutch partway out but on a very steep hill you would stall instantly. Think San Francisco streets where the stop sign is at the top of a 18% grade and some a-hole is right on your bumper.
    Great - just slowly roll back until the bumpers are touching, use that to help you get started!

As to stalling: it's actually a good thing, as I've been told. A tendency to stall (at first) means you're on the side of too fast clutch/too little gas. Not so good for your neck if it's a violent stall, but much better for the clutch than the alternative.

After I got tired of stalling, I started leaning towards a little too much gas on the get go, slowly lift clutch. Well, long story short, I crashed my car in the rain (a little too much acceleration, starting from a stop turning left), and I also need a new clutch. I've more recently been trying to move towards what I call the "perfect engagement" - let the clutch out, and give it just enough gas to maintain idle rpm (maybe within a couple 100 rpm to keep from bogging too much) constantly across... all within 1 second so as not to burn your clutch. I've pulled it off perfectly once or twice... and it feels GOOD to do it. Of course, I did stall for the first time in a while the other day... thankfully it was a nice easy stall, but not so good since it was with the gf in the car, right at the end of the street . Most of my stalls are because I forget the car's in third or so, but that's also very uncommon.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

The e-brake is a perfectly reasonable strategy for a beginner on hills. Makes the hills less scary and replacing it would cost less than fixing the car behind you if you roll

Quote Originally Posted by PHDX View Post
    The e-brake is a perfectly reasonable strategy for a beginner on hills. Makes the hills less scary and replacing it would cost less than fixing the car behind you if you roll
    True, so far i have just been changing my foot from brake to gas quickly and that works fine. Then again, I don't have any steep grades in my neighborhood to worry about

I learned to drive a stick in a very hilly part of Tennessee...it was so scary until I got the hang of it.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    For the 2.0L, it's best to slip the clutch to about 1500 RPMs while gassing slightly. You will be less likely to end up stuck in the "no torque zone." I've been doing this for 80,000 miles on the original clutch and it still holds strong at Stage II power levels.

From the times I've driven the 2.5L STi (2008 STi, 2004 STi, and 2007 STi limited), it seems much more difficult to stall the car. I think it has to do with the considerable increase in low-end torque and the DBW control. IIRC, I only had to slip the clutch to around 1000 RPM to get the same effect with the 2.5L. I've never driven the 2009 WRX, but I'm guessing it's similar...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    I don't care how steep a hill is or how close somebody is behind me, I don't need it. It all comes down to experience. I never roll more than a couple of inches back unless I intend to no matter what the situation.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I don't care how steep a hill is or how close somebody is behind me, I don't need it. It all comes down to experience. I never roll more than a couple of inches back unless I intend to no matter what the situation.
    Good for u...

+1 Get skilled at driving a stick off road on grades that are far steeper than 18% where you have to maneuver and hill assist becomes a joke.

Again something that should only be on dump trucks/tractor-trailers but the mfr added it anyway to broaden the market audience to include those who aren't coordinated enough to properly drive a manual. Just like that super annoying rev hang in first gear while driving through a parking lot.. cant let off the throttle in first without the car deciding it needs to keep the effin throttle plate open. What the **** is that?? Again, an annoyance added for people that cant drive stick properly so they can sell more cars.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    For the 2.0L, it's best to slip the clutch to about 1500 RPMs while gassing slightly. You will be less likely to end up stuck in the "no torque zone." I've been doing this for 80,000 miles on the original clutch and it still holds strong at Stage II power levels.

From the times I've driven the 2.5L STi (2008 STi, 2004 STi, and 2007 STi limited), it seems much more difficult to stall the car. I think it has to do with the considerable increase in low-end torque and the DBW control. IIRC, I only had to slip the clutch to around 1000 RPM to get the same effect with the 2.5L. I've never driven the 2009 WRX, but I'm guessing it's similar...
    It is, I rarely get higher than 1500rpm coming off a stop unless I need to spool the car to shoot into moving traffic (thanks Va for lack of acceleration lanes) ..
    Most often I start to let the clutch out at Idle till it starts to grab and roll the car then start feathering the throttle to get moving.

Changing the diff/subframe/trans mounts helped with that quite a bit too.. takes the lash out so clutch engagement and car movement are much better controlled.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    I've more recently been trying to move towards what I call the "perfect engagement" - let the clutch out, and give it just enough gas to maintain idle rpm (maybe within a couple 100 rpm to keep from bogging too much) constantly across... all within 1 second so as not to burn your clutch. I've pulled it off perfectly once or twice... and it feels GOOD to do it. Of course, I did stall for the first time in a while the other day... thankfully it was a nice easy stall, but not so good since it was with the gf in the car, right at the end of the street . Most of my stalls are because I forget the car's in third or so, but that's also very uncommon.
    ^this.. keep practicing that smooth release timing/feel and eventually you'll do it subconsciously every time you start off. It take time though.. just keep at it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+1

I've seen San Francisco hills...and oddly enough, MANY of the cars out there are manual. I live in a very hilly part of west Philly known as Manayunk...it has its own very steep grades. 15-16% or so...never had a problem.

Just think what your dad and grandpa had to do...they didn't have hill assist and their cars were much heavier and some had column shifters, more harsh gearboxes, etc...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

Just think what your dad and grandpa had to do...they didn't have hill assist and their cars were much heavier and some had column shifters, more harsh gearboxes, etc...
    and they walked to school in the snow, uphill, both ways.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.