2011 WRX AMP/Subwoofer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX AMP/Subwoofer within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My 2011 WRX 5 Door Limited with Short Shift that O ordered almost 12 weeks ago is due at port ...

2011 WRX AMP/Subwoofer

My 2011 WRX 5 Door Limited with Short Shift that O ordered almost 12 weeks ago is due at port in RI today. Now I'm being told by my dealer that the upgraded Amp/Subwoofer that I ordered as a dealer installed option is not available until sometime in March and they can't even order it. Of course I figured they had ordered it weeks ago. Does anyone with a 2011 WRX have this factory installed option in their car today?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't bother with it.

For what you pay, you get a pathetically underpowered setup. Take this opportunity to go aftermarket.

Piecing together an amp/sub/enclosure is ideal, but for a budget and space-saving option, this is probably cheaper and much better than OE.
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-24-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+1 to saving your money with the OEM one.

I wouldn't be too upset about it. The OEM sub is highly over priced and highly under powered. You can get a very nice after market set up for just about the same price if not cheaper and it will be 10x better.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I was looking into this as well. If anyone had any pictures of the OEM setup for the 2011, that would be sweet to check out.
    Go San Diego Super Chargers!
    I love video games, HD movies and board games
    Best car ever!

^^^Whoa similar Avatars...creepy.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

We're like brothers, but not!

Hawkward.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    The only problem with an aftermarket solution is that you lose the integrated bluetooth, USB connection, steering wheel controls, etc.

If there's a way to hook up an aftermarket sub/amp and tie it in to the existing setup, I'd love to do that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
    The only problem with an aftermarket solution is that you lose the integrated bluetooth, USB connection, steering wheel controls, etc.

If there's a way to hook up an aftermarket sub/amp and tie it in to the existing setup, I'd love to do that instead.
    Weakest link on stock sound systems is the stock head unit anyway. Most of those options are available in any decent aftermarket head unit. Replace that too
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I was interested in this option as well, the stock stereo is abysmal...so bad that I don't even bother listening to it, it hurts my ears since it has no bottom at all. At least the engine sounds good enough to entertain me...

I found this thread over on the STI forums, this page has a pic of it in the trunk. Looks like it takes up practically no trunk space.
    New 2011 11" Trunk Mounted Subwoofer - Page 8 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

The reviews over there are overwhelmingly that it is worth getting, no one is complaining about sound or price too much.

I'm new to this sort of thing, can anyone point me in the right direction of some aftermarket systems that would look integrated like this? I don't want it to look shoddy when the rest of the car looks so nice.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdill
    The reviews over there are overwhelmingly that it is worth getting, no one is complaining about sound or price too much.
    What does it retail for? I'd bet it's more expensive than the Infiniti option I linked to earlier, and will get walked on by it.

For reference, I paid $275 for my custom enclosure / JL 10W3v3 sub. I had the amplifier I bought from a friend already, but if I didn't, $100-125 for a used amp off someone.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What does it retail for?
    According to Subaru's website it is $499.99 + install fee for a 10" sub and 100 watt amp. According to the thread that I posted there some dealers allow some flexibility with the price and installation fee, and others will try to screw you over (one guy's dealer was asking for over $250 for installation alone!).

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdill View Post
    According to Subaru's website it is $499.99 + install fee for a 10" sub and 100 watt amp. According to the thread that I posted there some dealers allow some flexibility with the price and installation fee, and others will try to screw you over (one guy's dealer was asking for over $250 for installation alone!).
    Holy CompleteWasteOfMoney Batman!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdill View Post
    Shop around.

The Infiniti I linked to earlier is $300 plus wiring kit and line-out converter (if using OE H/U), but you're looking at something less than $400. As long as you have basic skills, running the wire isn't difficult.

I spent less than that for my subwoofer setup, and it's a hell of a lot nicer than the 100W OE option. It doesn't take up too much trunk space, either:

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
    Odd... my Alpine HU has bluetooth... has USB for iPod... with a SWI-JACK interface, my steering wheel controls work... has more power than the stock HU and sounded significantly better than stock... and now has an aftermarket amp and sub installed, so now I have bass, too.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    Odd... my Alpine HU has bluetooth... has USB for iPod... with a SWI-JACK interface, my steering wheel controls work... has more power than the stock HU and sounded significantly better than stock... and now has an aftermarket amp and sub installed, so now I have bass, too.
    So if you don't mind my asking, what did that whole setup (HU, amp, and sub) end up costing you? Because it looks like Subaru's kicker sub is finally out, for around $500-600 installed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast