2011 WRX AMP/Subwoofer - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX AMP/Subwoofer within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by jeffdill But if you get an aftermarket HU you have to mess with the wires anyway to ...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdill View Post
    But if you get an aftermarket HU you have to mess with the wires anyway to make steering controls and the aux port to work - couldn't you make an aftermarket HU work with the existing harness, so this sub would work?
    And if you're so sure this sub is bad to go with, could you give a recommendation of a sub and HU to go with then?
    I'm a big fan of Alpine HU's myself... due as much to their quality as to my familiarity with them over the years... and I like how they worked with Apple hand-in-hand to make HU's that not just 'work with iPod' but really do integrate with them better than any other company out there right now, IMO.
    As for subs... that's much more personal, depending on the kind of bass you're looking for. I like rock bass - very tight and fast, so a smaller sub (10" or a really high quality 8") works for me. Depending on the car, I have one box with a single sub and another with dual subs. In my '11 hatch, I'm using just one, but in my '04 STi, I used the duals because they were in a trunk.
    And yes, you have to mess with wires - I consider that the price of admission to better sound. Want it easy? Stay stock with lesser quality sound. As for the steering wheel controls, as previously mentioned, a SWI-JACK + a good HU = working steering wheel controls. As for the AUX port, I didn't bother. My iPod stays connected to my Alpine 24/7 (unless I pull it out to put more music/video on it) and it's living buried in the glove compartment - simpler install and out of the way. Could I have pulled the center console and run a long USB to the back of the radio? Sure. But it was only a foot to the glove box.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    The Subaru sub is self-amplified and hooks into the wiring harness already in place... not designed to work with aftermarket HU's, and not very high quality compared to the aftermarket. It gives a little extra bass, but is kind of muddy, and is (IMHO) significantly overpriced for the performance you get. If it was like $100, I could see doing it for easy's sake... but not at more than triple.
    I have 2011 sti with nav. Should there be wires hanging in the truck to hookup a sub can't see anything?

I have a 04 WRX I put a Kenwood DDX319 deck ($325.00) This thing is SICK! SO it has USB\Bluetooth\XM SLR\Iphone connections\PANDORA\ CD player\ DVD player(and if you bypass the Handbreak safty setup... or do as I did and take one extra wire to ground. you can play DVD while driving, don't tell anyone I told ya tho! LOL BTW I DO not recomend doing this sort of thing durring a commute..Safty first!!.. but it works great for the kids on long drives.)\ Also has AV in and AV out for back up Camera, or Hooking up a PS3 if ya wanted.. Also has preouts for amps for front, rear, and subs... + connections for stock speaker setup. So in theory you could keep stock speakers and include new ones elsewhere in the car. All touch screen controled, and I can control sub, front, and rear gains. The deck also has a built in crossover so its simple as plug everything up and "set it and forget it" . This is way better Than any stock system IMO. I run 2-8" JL AUDIO subs in a custom box mounted in the trunk. I am using small amps 1 Kicker 250x2 for the subs and a Polk Audio 350x2 for my door speakers and those are not cheep. They are Kenwood's Exceleron XR-S17P shallow mount( 1" 3/4" depth) 300W replacements for the stock door speakers. They are same depth as stock speakers so no need for any mods to the doors. The door speakers are well worth the price for the sound quality.. I picked up entire system for arround $1200.00. And hey... I can still fit 4 travel size bags, or carry-on luggage, in the trunk and get to the spare tire without disconnecting anything.. I believe it is FAR better than any stock system Subaru offers. So here are some pictsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20120702_182130.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	106513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120702_182338.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	106512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120702_182431.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	106514
    Last edited by Andione1; 07-05-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: other information

Quote Originally Posted by z-logic View Post
    I have 2011 sti with nav. Should there be wires hanging in the truck to hookup a sub can't see anything?
    you'd have to pull the head unit out. That's where it would connect. As for power and such, I'm not sure for the trunk.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

does the stock system come with any bass or is just 6 speakers

like everyone else said. dont bother with it. for the $500+ it costs you can get a much better setup than it. i almost got it myself but after hearing it in a car they had on the lot i decided against it. i just couldnt hear $500 worth of sound.

Quote Originally Posted by GotBoost94 View Post
    does the stock system come with any bass or is just 6 speakers
    There's a factory sub option made by Kicker I believe...but for the money, it's meh. The head unit is the weakness in the system.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123