2011 WRX AMP/Subwoofer - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX AMP/Subwoofer within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Officer Cartman The only problem with an aftermarket solution is that you lose the integrated bluetooth, USB ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
    The only problem with an aftermarket solution is that you lose the integrated bluetooth, USB connection, steering wheel controls, etc.

If there's a way to hook up an aftermarket sub/amp and tie it in to the existing setup, I'd love to do that instead.
    JL Audio CL441dsp CleanSweep® Sound processor for use when adding amps and speakers to a factory system at Crutchfield Signature
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If anyone has a bit of time, could they write some sort of a "Sound System Upgrades for Dummies" thing? There's just so much information out there and for someone who has never messed with it at all, it is kind of overwhelming.

I'm not sure what brands to look at for each component, how easy/hard the install would be for someone who has never done this before, how much power you really need from the amp and sub to create loud, balanced sound instead of a ghetto blaster in the trunk...etc.

I have a 2011 WRX, I thought I read somewhere that the HU isn't that bad, but I'm not sure...

Many thanks
    Last edited by jeffdill; 03-01-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    Odd... my Alpine HU has bluetooth... has USB for iPod... with a SWI-JACK interface, my steering wheel controls work... has more power than the stock HU and sounded significantly better than stock... and now has an aftermarket amp and sub installed, so now I have bass, too.
    I've been interested in getting a new HU, preferably Alpine. Which one did you go with that works with the steering wheel controls?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdill View Post
    If anyone has a bit of time, could they write some sort of a "Sound System Upgrades for Dummies" thing? There's just so much information out there and for someone who has never messed with it at all, it is kind of overwhelming.

I'm not sure what brands to look at for each component, how easy/hard the install would be for someone who has never done this before, how much power you really need from the amp and sub to create loud, balanced sound instead of a ghetto blaster in the trunk...etc.

I have a 2011 WRX, I thought I read somewhere that the HU isn't that bad, but I'm not sure...

Many thanks
    Sound System Upgrade for Dummies:

Subaru's stereo system sucks. Upgrade the HU before anything as this is the weakest link. If you want more bass, add amplified Sub(s). If you want to further the quality, add and amplify the door speakers. Its pretty safe to say stick with "known" brands and what you pay for is what you get with quality Audio.

Happy?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by WRX pilot View Post
    I've been interested in getting a new HU, preferably Alpine. Which one did you go with that works with the steering wheel controls?
    I'm interested in this too then...I do rather like the steering wheel controls

Quote Originally Posted by WRX pilot View Post
    You want to make sure that it has the digital remote input on the back.. many decent HU's have them now, and then the SWI-JACK unit will plug into it, gets programmed, and the steering wheel controls work just fine. Even if the HU you pick doesn't have that, PAC also makes an infrared-based control unit, although it's a bit tougher to install and not as responsive (not to mention sensitive to bright sunlight).
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

I Support ClubWRX
    there is some insight into this topic in this thread

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/interi...ml#post2706606
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    there is some insight into this topic in this thread

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/interi...ml#post2706606
    Wow. That looks like a huge pain in the ass.

Wow. That looks like a huge pain in the ass.
    It's really not hard... you just tap into the 2-3 wires that it tells you, and go through the programming procedure... takes about 30-45 minutes all told, including opening up the dash. Or any decent car audio shop can easily do it for you, as well, usually between $50-100. Easily worth the time (or money if you have it) to integrate the steering wheel controls.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."

Well.... yeah if you're looking to start with amplification and door speakers... to be honest, a new HU with the stock speakers doesn't sound bad at all (especially with a sub) and is a simpler starting point...
    In order, I'd probably recommend:
    HU (a good one will give you better amplification as a starting point)
    Sub (so the door speakers don't have to try to play bass, and can do a better, clearer job on the mids/highs)
    Replace door speakers (better able to handle higher levels of power and offer cleaner sound quality)
    Amplify aftermarket speakers (more power = more control over the speaker = better sound quality)
    s e t h

Been looking around the various Subaru forums, came across this link:

ALL PARTS ARE SOLD AT 25%OFF RETIAL, MSRP PRICING, NO OTHER DISCOUNTS, OFFERS,

So you can buy it through them for $375 (+$33 S&H). I'm really confused why 11" and 10" are both listed, and for the same price - does Subaru offer both? Is the 11" better? WTF?

In any case, I thinking I will just go with the OEM sub here because it fits so well into the car. I'm sure the local dealer will take the price down to $400 or less if I show them this. Probs install it myself.

QUESTION THOUGH: Someone on another forum said the sub made the music loud and full, but not with booming bass. Would changing the HU and/or amp provide more power to get more booming bass? I'm not sure how big of a difference there is between a 10" sub and a 12" sub.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Knowing what I know now, the next car I buy I'm telling them I don't want a radio.. period. If they have to stick one in then I'll take the cheapest piece of crap available, because anything that comes OEM is useless anyways. No reason in spending three times more for something that's going to be mediocre at best.. I go as far as replacing all the existing wiring as well, so the less it comes with the better.

Been looking around the various Subaru forums, came across this link:

ALL PARTS ARE SOLD AT 25%OFF RETIAL, MSRP PRICING, NO OTHER DISCOUNTS, OFFERS,

So you can buy it through them for $375 (+$33 S&H). I'm really confused why 11" and 10" are both listed, and for the same price - does Subaru offer both? Is the 11" better? WTF?
    In any case, I thinking I will just go with the OEM sub here because it fits so well into the car. I'm sure the local dealer will take the price down to $400 or less if I show them this. Probs install it myself.
    QUESTION THOUGH: Someone on another forum said the sub made the music loud and full, but not with booming bass. Would changing the HU and/or amp provide more power to get more booming bass? I'm not sure how big of a difference there is between a 10" sub and a 12" sub.
    The Subaru sub is self-amplified and hooks into the wiring harness already in place... not designed to work with aftermarket HU's, and not very high quality compared to the aftermarket. It gives a little extra bass, but is kind of muddy, and is (IMHO) significantly overpriced for the performance you get. If it was like $100, I could see doing it for easy's sake... but not at more than triple.
    s e t h

The Subaru sub is self-amplified and hooks into the wiring harness already in place... not designed to work with aftermarket HU's, and not very high quality compared to the aftermarket.
    But if you get an aftermarket HU you have to mess with the wires anyway to make steering controls and the aux port to work - couldn't you make an aftermarket HU work with the existing harness, so this sub would work?

And if you're so sure this sub is bad to go with, could you give a recommendation of a sub and HU to go with then?
    Last edited by jeffdill; 03-03-2011 at 06:22 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Subaru sub is self-amplified and hooks into the wiring harness already in place... not designed to work with aftermarket HU's, and not very high quality compared to the aftermarket. It gives a little extra bass, but is kind of muddy, and is (IMHO) significantly overpriced for the performance you get. If it was like $100, I could see doing it for easy's sake... but not at more than triple.
    I agree,whats the point of spending roughly 3 times the price of other aftermarket subs.Boss makes good under seat subs.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast