5spd Manual
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 5spd Manual within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This past weekend I hunted for the wrx and forester 5sp manual. No one within a 2 hour drive has ...

5spd Manual

This past weekend I hunted for the wrx and forester 5sp manual. No one within a 2 hour drive has yet to get one in. However, I was able to test drive an impreza 5sp manual to see how it felt. Boy was I disappointed and I am hoping this isn't what is used in the wrx/sti versions. I had test driven my friends older 5sp manual legacy and this new impreza felt similar, but had better peddle gap.

My only thoughts were that it was very loose feeling. The clutch is ultra light, the stick felt very loose with slight rubber feel, and there was no feedback letting you know you were in gear after trying to search for that gear.

Coming from a 2007 civic si 6sp manual, I could just be spoiled and maybe this is how most manuals feel. I have driven 5sp echo, 4sp tercel, 5sp pickup all which were from yrs 2000 and older, but all except the pickup had a better feeling manual setup than the impreza I drove.

I do not want to bash anyone, I really started loving suby and really want one, but I prefer manual, but do not think I could get used to a 5sp that shifts like the impreza did. Are wrx better or is this something that has always been an issue with subies? Thank you all

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    No the WRX is just as bad. The STI 6 sp has better feel. Nothing from Subaru is going to compare to the Honda.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you upgrade the front and rear shifter bushings than it improves the feeling of the 5 speed greatly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kenboots10 View Post
    My only thoughts were that it was very loose feeling. The clutch is ultra light, the stick felt very loose with slight rubber feel, and there was no feedback letting you know you were in gear after trying to search for that gear.
    I have a 2011 WRX and I never thought it to be "loose". Its very clunky which is fine. I wasnt expecting Honda smoothness. There are various upgrades that could help but its something you get used to I imagine.

Subaru has acnkolodeged that they are in the stoneage with their transmissions (I mean really 5 speed manuals and 4 speed automatics). Hopefully upgrades will be seen in the near future.

Subaru needs to stop offering the WRx with the 5mt. It should have the 6mt without dccd. None of the cars I'd compare to the WRX still have 5sp, they are all 6mt. And 4 speed autos with overdrive? Ford doesnt even do this anymore.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman

Banned
    I lost a gear going from a 2007 Nissan Versa to a 2011 WRX. Thats just sad.

Exactly, quite sad. A 6mt WRX would also solve the issue where the 2011 WRX is faster to 60mph than the 2011 STI.

k01
    My WRX 5 spd feels much better that the 5 spd in my '76 Civic!

This is why I love this forum great positive feedback. So maybe my choice is to really just wait and sit back for awhile till suby updates their trans. Good thing is I could save money, bad thing is the current trend of vehicle design all looks the same and laid back. Wish Honda made a new civic si hatchback, but they are retarded I guess :P

Thanks everyone

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kenboots10 View Post
    So maybe my choice is to really just wait and sit back for awhile till suby updates their trans.
    I hope the fridge is within your reach because you'll be sitting for a while.

Sometimes (SOMETIMES) my trans shifts nicely, then the temp drops below 75 degrees F and it's back to feeling like my hand has been shot full of anesthetic.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I keep saying how badly my car needs a 6spd. On the highway it just really feels like it just needs another gear. It's really sad to see that all the WRX's competitors are using a 6spd...I really would have liked to see a 6spd in the car. I can't emphasize how much the car feels like it wants another gear.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.