87 octane vs. premeium is it too late!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 87 octane vs. premeium is it too late!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So now that i have had my first 02 2.0 for a few weeks i noticed that the car had ...

87 octane vs. premeium is it too late!!!

So now that i have had my first 02 2.0 for a few weeks i noticed that the car had improper timing feeling. when i got in the boost it didint pull like it should have. with that being said i now have the fear that the 87 octane i have been putting in (because i didn't put two and two together) as well as the 100k its driven before i owned the car that now am burning holes in the pistons. This forum is amazing on the things im finding out about these cars. I will certianly fill it in the morning with 93 and from here on out. My question is am i over thinking it or is there some fuel treatment i can use before i start putting in 93. I know this might sound odd but thats why im here. thanks for all your help p.s. the car is stock but didn't plan on keepin it that way

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Use 91 or higher always... if you use cheap gas you'll be knocking and loose power...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

i over heard someone at my college say that u can get a 55 gal. drum of racing fuel from VP fuels cheaper then buying at the pump. delivered to your home too. i emailed VP to see if its true.

How much gas is in the tank now? I'd just put some 93 in there as soon as you can. If it's 1/2 empty, then you should be fine just putting in 93 since you'll end up with 90. Don't bother messing with the gas that's already in there. Just don't push the car hard and drive it like a baby until you burn off the existing 87, or the 90 if you're able to fill up 1/2 a tank with 93.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Get some octane booster from autozone.......
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Octane booster only raises the octane level about 1/10th of a point (or so I've been told) so that would be a waste of money...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Octane booster only raises the octane level about 1/10th of a point (or so I've been told) so that would be a waste of money...
    I know. Lol I just wanted to say something.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastchance43 View Post
    with that being said i now have the fear that the 87 octane i have been putting in (because i didn't put two and two together) as well as the 100k its driven before i owned the car that now am burning holes in the pistons.
    You won't have done any permanent damage, just be sure to not do it again. Once you've gotten a tankful of proper octane rated fuel through she should be running fine. If not - you may have some other issues that are causing your condition.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

word of advice also dont go to cheap gas stations like, el-chepo, or quick stop. I would go with shell. i filled up with 91 octane before a tune and dyno, from somewhere other then shell. and the tuner asked me what gas i had in there. he told me my car was pre detanating. he told me to stick with shell.
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    word of advice also dont go to cheap gas stations like, el-chepo, or quick stop. I would go with shell. i filled up with 91 octane before a tune and dyno, from somewhere other then shell. and the tuner asked me what gas i had in there. he told me my car was pre detanating. he told me to stick with shell.
    This is totally false information, sorry. Your local no-name gas station has brand-name gas. They just don't pay for the name so they can't advertise what they have. That's how their gas is a few cents cheaper a gallon.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    This is totally false information, sorry. Your local no-name gas station has brand-name gas. They just don't pay for the name so they can't advertise what they have. That's how their gas is a few cents cheaper a gallon.
    Negative sir I am correct. Go to racing trendz and ask them. Research what truckers do when 87 and 89 pumps are full and they have left over. Fact is I filled up with 91 at conaco and when they tuned my vehicle it was performing as if I had 87
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    Negative sir I am correct. Go to racing trendz and ask them. Research what truckers do when 87 and 89 pumps are full and they have left over. Fact is I filled up with 91 at conaco and when they tuned my vehicle it was performing as if I had 87
    If they are doing this, they are violating the law. The division of weights and measures keeps a very close eye on fuel deliveries and distributions. Teflon is correct, no-name gas stations get gas from the same refineries as name brand, they just don't always get from the same refinery. There are only a few fuel companies that own refinerys (exxon/mobil, sunoco, BP, etc...) and these are where the no names get their fuel as well.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Well all I can vouch for is what I saw from my tuner and how bad my car performed. Either way I choose shell. I probably got a bad batch of gas or something. Who knows
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

I Support ClubWRX
    I have more faith in law enforcement than a source that uses the letter z in "trends" and I cannot imagine a safer fuel supply than the US.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I have more faith in law enforcement than a source that uses the letter z in "trends" and I cannot imagine a safer fuel supply than the US.
    Believe it or not they wrote me better tunes than a highly respected shop that tunes the vehicle for the pikes peak races. I will admit the shops name is cheesy but like they say don't judge a book by it cover
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.