87 octane vs. premeium is it too late!!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 87 octane vs. premeium is it too late!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 2002_wagon Negative sir I am correct. Go to racing trendz and ask them. Research what truckers do ...

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    Negative sir I am correct. Go to racing trendz and ask them. Research what truckers do when 87 and 89 pumps are full and they have left over. Fact is I filled up with 91 at conaco and when they tuned my vehicle it was performing as if I had 87
    Sorry, but I know more about this subject than any tuner in the industry. I work for the leading petroleum industry consulting company in the world.

If the tanks for 87 and 89 are full, then they don't put more fuel in the tanks. They just take the gas on to their next stop and put it in the tank of that customer. Tankers are carefully tracked in terms of what fuel they deliver where. And your logic doesn't make sense. If that's what tankers do (i.e. put 87 or 89 in a 93 octane tank), then they're doing it at Shell too.

Conoco is one of the largest refiners of gasoline in the world. You're just as likely to get a tank of "bad" fuel there as at Shell. You may have filled up shortly after the tanker filled the tank, so there was a lot of sediment stirred up. You may in fact have gotten a tank of "bad" fuel that wasn't stored under optimal conditions. Who knows? I don't understand why you think Conoco is a no-name brand.....

At the heart of it, it really doesn't matter where you buy gas. It's all basically the same, even across brands.

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    If they are doing this, they are violating the law. The division of weights and measures keeps a very close eye on fuel deliveries and distributions. Teflon is correct, no-name gas stations get gas from the same refineries as name brand, they just don't always get from the same refinery. There are only a few fuel companies that own refinerys (exxon/mobil, sunoco, BP, etc...) and these are where the no names get their fuel as well.
    This is correct, this is absolutely a violation of the law.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I have more faith in law enforcement than a source that uses the letter z in "trends" and I cannot imagine a safer fuel supply than the US.
    wow, classic sd_gr post! love it.

you're not going to kill your car by putting low octane in it once. the engine management computer will pull boost and timing before any permanent damage is done.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

I Support ClubWRX
    I will admit the shops name is cheesy but like they say don't judge a book by it cover
    I should not, you are correct. I do not know them, and should reserve judgment.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Believe it or not they wrote me better tunes than a highly respected shop that tunes the vehicle for the pikes peak races. I will admit the shops name is cheesy but like they say don't judge a book by it cover
    I still refuse to go to racing trendz. They tuned someone on E85 with stock injectors, and stock fuel pump at a very high IDC. This was a year or so ago, and I hope they learned from their mistakes... but I still have other places I would rather go.

If you got crap gas... it's less likely the source, than it is how it was treated or how long it sat there in the tank.

There are only a few companies that are bringing oil into the country. Beyond that, the only difference is how many additives / how much ethanol is added to the mixture.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I still refuse to go to racing trendz. They tuned someone on E85 with stock injectors, and stock fuel pump at a very high IDC. This was a year or so ago, and I hope they learned from their mistakes... but I still have other places I would rather go.

If you got crap gas... it's less likely the source, than it is how it was treated or how long it sat there in the tank.

There are only a few companies that are bringing oil into the country. Beyond that, the only difference is how many additives / how much ethanol is added to the mixture.
    did not know that I haven't lived in colorado for almost two years. I would never recommend MAC autosports in parker. They did a terrible job imo
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll only go to Harvey or Adam for a tune in Colorado. The Subaru Tech that used to work at MAC was great, but he's gone now. I used to use MAC for tedious installs, but no more.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    BTW, Conoco is world famous and the company was founded over 120 years ago. It's a classic US oil firm. These guys are not fly-by-night or even close, they have helped shape the US industry IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hey Guys thanks for all that feedback. So this is what i came up with. I left for work this morning knowing that the tank was close to empty. I went to the local shell and filled it with 91 octane. which cost $42 dollars by the way and proceded to my 44 mile journey to work. the car was running the same but i babied to work. After work on the 44 mile journey back home, i didn't notice any thing different. Once i got off the highway and got into 2nd 3rd gear pulls It pulled just like i dreamed it would. HUGE difference. im assuming it took about 75 miles for the ecu to remap timing. I didn't realize how somthing so little make the car so much better. so my advice to everyone is dont run 87 in your car especialy if its your first wrx and you didn't know the difference. its almost like i got a stage 1 today............thanks again

I like spending a few more dollars and getting 93. Plus that's what I am tuned for.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    BTW, Conoco is world famous and the company was founded over 120 years ago. It's a classic US oil firm. These guys are not fly-by-night or even close, they have helped shape the US industry IMO.
    Yeah, I laughed when the poster called "conaco" a no-name gas station. They're one of the largest petroleum companies in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastchance43 View Post
    Hey Guys thanks for all that feedback. So this is what i came up with. I left for work this morning knowing that the tank was close to empty. I went to the local shell and filled it with 91 octane. which cost $42 dollars by the way and proceded to my 44 mile journey to work. the car was running the same but i babied to work. After work on the 44 mile journey back home, i didn't notice any thing different. Once i got off the highway and got into 2nd 3rd gear pulls It pulled just like i dreamed it would. HUGE difference. im assuming it took about 75 miles for the ecu to remap timing. I didn't realize how somthing so little make the car so much better. so my advice to everyone is dont run 87 in your car especialy if its your first wrx and you didn't know the difference. its almost like i got a stage 1 today............thanks again
    It took 75 miles because you babied it. The ECU remaps faster the harder you drive the car. If you really drive hard, you can get one to remap in 5 miles or less. Glad to hear things are back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    I like spending a few more dollars and getting 93. Plus that's what I am tuned for.
    The gas grades are different here than the Northeast. There you get 87/89/93. Here we get 85/87/91.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    It took 75 miles because you babied it. The ECU remaps faster the harder you drive the car. If you really drive hard, you can get one to remap in 5 miles or less. Glad to hear things are back to normal.
    If you reset the ECU, the "vishnu trick" it takes less than a mile to get the IAM reset (Ignition Advance Multiplier).

Re-Mapped ECU Learning Trick 10-20hp in 5 seconds - NASIOC
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    My guess is that you were overlooking the blatantly obvious "Premium only" text when you were filling up?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.