2011 WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; You can drop in an AEM panel filter if you are worried. Like others have said, they have this model ...

You can drop in an AEM panel filter if you are worried. Like others have said, they have this model and they live in states where all it does is rain and they have no issues. Unless you submerse the front end of the car
    '11 WRX Ltd Sedan DGM
    '11 Audi Q5 2.0T IW
    '98 C2S 3.8 GW
    '95 968 Cab GPW

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Water being sucked up into the intake tube is the issue. If that gets to the engine = bad.

I have the AEM intake on my 11 WRX and it's pretty darn well contained. Moreso than other CAI's I've had in other cars. If you think there is ANY chance you will EVER drive through water deep enough to hit your front lip, don't get a CAI. But the chances of that are next to zero here in So Cal.

The AEM lets you hear the turbo spooling more which is kinda neat.

And I wouldn't bother with an e-tune unless there are absolutely no tuners within a 2-3 hours drive of where you live. My take is either go AccessPort or go protune. An e-tune is kinda in the middle and costs more (including AP price) than both.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Banned
    So, by re-tuning your engine you are almost certainly invalidating the warranty right?

^ I believe so. SPT products wont, but I havent found out if you can get a non-warrant voiding tune along with them. Anyone know about this?

SPT products INSTALLED BY A DEALER won't void your warranty. SPT installed by you/tuner/other shop may.

Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    So, by re-tuning your engine you are almost certainly invalidating the warranty right?
    The dealer would have to prove the issue was caused by tune. If something like your turbo blew or engine developed a knock, the dealer will immediately point to the tune and forget about making a warranty claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2011RX View Post
    ^ I believe so. SPT products wont, but I havent found out if you can get a non-warrant voiding tune along with them. Anyone know about this?
    SPT products installed prior to delivery of the vehicle are covered by the Subaru bumper-to-bumper warranty. If they're installed after delivery by the dealer, then you don't get the Subaru warranty on them other than on the part.itself which is normally one year and is part of their parts warranty, not your new car warranty. And there are no tunes available from the dealer period.

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    SPT products INSTALLED BY A DEALER won't void your warranty. SPT installed by you/tuner/other shop may.
    Yes, this is true.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Banned
    Figured as much. It would seem like a pretty logical step for a dealer to deny almost any warranty claim based on a re-tuning of the engine.

So are most people just confident that there car wont die before the warranty is up?

Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    The bov itself will not 'give' you gains. What it will do is allow you to hold more boost. The late models wrxs have crappy plastic bovs. They cannot be expected to be reliable past 17psi. Some will hold a bit more, others a bit less.

My tuner pushed my boost to 17psi. When I get my bov I will be able to hold more boost.

Even if you don't go past 17psi you an aftermarket bov will be more reliable. Forge makes a good unit.

Also it will not be obnoxiously loud. Our bov are recirculating, that is, it.doesn't vent to atmosphere. So don't worry about sounding like a ricer- you won't.
    Uh.. no.. read the bov stickeys. Unless you have explicit proof that the factory bpv wont hold past 17psi.. you're talking pure nonsense here.

Forge Motorsport DOES make a nice replacement though, and they're fully rebuildable. But there are a great many people running the factory bpv well past 17psi without issue.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I've been present at the dyno tunes of a dozen or so 09+ wrxs. Unless my tuner is lying to me for some reason, they have problems holding boost past that level. Idk, what I would show as 'explicit proof'.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Maybe your tuner a) doesn't know what he's talking about or b) he sells BOVs in his shop and can make money.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Maybe your tuner a) doesn't know what he's talking about or b) he sells BOVs in his shop and can make money.
    I think this is it..

Look at the design of the bpv.. as the system is under pressure on the inside the reference line going to the other side of the valve is also under the same amount of pressure. They hold just fine. I really do like the forge bpv units and can attest to the companies part quality (ran a forge dual piston bov on my last turbo car for many years) but.. its not needed.

I would consider dyno sheets that show a sizeable loss in boost explicit proof. It would show up as a pretty dramatic drop if the valve started to leak.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    Figured as much. It would seem like a pretty logical step for a dealer to deny almost any warranty claim based on a re-tuning of the engine.

So are most people just confident that there car wont die before the warranty is up?
    The warranty doesn't get voided. That can't happen. What can happen is potential engine claims may get denied. But stuff like suspension, electronics, window motors, etc are not impacted at all. So you're basically risking only pure engine failure. Common? No.

Do I think my performance mods will kill my car? Not in the least. I went nuts with my Evos and never had failures. Stage 2 on a Subaru to me is next to nothing.

Nah, he doesn't sell bov, he tunes. He can get parts for people but he gets then through other vendors and it isn't his main business. He is a good tuner. Obviously this proves nothing, but he tunes subaru, Mitsubishi, BMW, Honda, audi, Mercedes and Porsche.

Check out his site.
    www.brentuning.com

I know all of the good Porsche tuners in the Northeast and he's not one of them.....

He may be good at other cars, but then why is he wrong about such a basic item on a Subaru?
    Scott

Idk, I guess he just sucks at tuning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast