New 2011 WRX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 2011 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought a new 2011 WRX 5-door Dark Gray. I absolutely love it so far, and i've only had ...

Smile New 2011 WRX

I just bought a new 2011 WRX 5-door Dark Gray.
    I absolutely love it so far, and i've only had it for 2 days!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	95292

The only thing i'm not 100% loving is the shifting. After reading up on the posts it seems the Short Shifter you can buy from Subaru doesn't seem all the good, or different from the stock set up. I wanted to get a different one...but I have a few questions first...

What are people opinion on the Kartboy Short Shifter?

In addition, what is the difference, or rather what would I need to buy; the one with or without bushings?

Without Bushings:
    Kartboy Short Throw Shifter Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2011 WRX / 2006-2009 Legacy GT / 2006-2008 Forester XT) at RallySportDirect.com

With Bushings:
    RallySportDirect.com - Performance Car Parts Online

• What do the bushings actually do? (newbie question i'm sure...)

• I know the short shift, makes a shorter shift, and less play in the gears, but is the extra 50 some odd bucks worth also getting bushings...?

ALSO;
    Does this void the warranty? Im assuming it doesn't since Subaru offers a similar part start from the factory, but i'm just not sure, and it is pretty important that I keep the warranty...

Im excited to join the Subie community and thanks for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Kartboy makes a good short shifter. I have torque solution ss and it is also a good unit.

The bushings are definitely worth the money. It makes for much crisper feel and you get a lot more feedback through the shifter.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Great. Yea it seems like that would definitely be worth the extra cash.
    Any idea on the warranty situation?

if you are worried about the warranty situation, get the subaru short shifter and then install the subaru bushings. then subaru cant say you replaced anything that wasnt subaru parts. i would not be surprised if you had an after market unit, and then had an issue, and had subaru deny your warranty claim.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Uhg, I feel like everything i've read about the spt short throw is mediocre though...
    Where would I get the Kartboy installed then? Could I still get it done at the dealer?

Dyba, you have the short throw, how do you like it...

Well they can technically only deny warranty claims on the item you replaced unless they can prove that the item directly caused the failure of something else. I don't know what they would realistically say that a short shifter would cause to fail.

If you are still worried you should talk to the service manager at the dealership you bought from.

Yea. I think i'm going to go ahead and do it anyway. Like you said, it think it would only be a problem with the warranty if Subaru could tie whatever problem their ever might be back to the fact that its an aftermarket short throw installed....

Ya. Still I would talk to the service manager about it. Besides it is always good to have a good relationship with your dealer.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    FWIW - The Subaru unit is not bad. From my experience (only one week with it, but ...) and more importantly from my reading/research the difference maker is being sure you order it with bushings. If they install it with the stock bushings it is not much of an upgrade, but with the SPT bushings it provides nice crisp shift that feel right - much better than stock.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuka View Post
    Uhg, I feel like everything i've read about the spt short throw is mediocre though...
    Where would I get the Kartboy installed then? Could I still get it done at the dealer?

Dyba, you have the short throw, how do you like it...
    I like it a lot. I am in the process of purchasing the frnt and rear bushings and the group N transmount, which will make the shift feeling/action even more awesome. I test drove a WRX without the short shift kit, and it really makes a huge difference. I hear that the kartboy kit may be better, but I have never drive one with the kartboy unit, so I don't really have any frame of reference.

Here is my take on the warranty situation: sometime down the line, hypothetically, you have an issue with your transmission. Subaru of America will take a look at your vehicle, and realize that you have an aftermarket short shift kit, and say, sorry valued customer, there is an aftermarket kit attached to the transmission, we are going to deny the claim for transmission issues. even if the service manager at your dealership is super cool, why give them ANYTHING to use to deny a warranty claim? there are some aftermarket parts that are pretty bulletproof when it comes to warranty stuff, like an axleback exhaust. there is really no imaginable way that subaru would deny a warranty claim for something other than the actual muffler if you replace it. BUT, the shifter is attached to some pretty expensive and important parts of your vehicle that could fail sometime down the line.

i think you will be very happy with the subaru kit plus the shifter bushings.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    I like it a lot. I am in the process of purchasing the frnt and rear bushings and the group N transmount, which will make the shift feeling/action even more awesome. I test drove a WRX without the short shift kit, and it really makes a huge difference. I hear that the kartboy kit may be better, but I have never drive one with the kartboy unit, so I don't really have any frame of reference.

Here is my take on the warranty situation: sometime down the line, hypothetically, you have an issue with your transmission. Subaru of America will take a look at your vehicle, and realize that you have an aftermarket short shift kit, and say, sorry valued customer, there is an aftermarket kit attached to the transmission, we are going to deny the claim for transmission issues. even if the service manager at your dealership is super cool, why give them ANYTHING to use to deny a warranty claim? there are some aftermarket parts that are pretty bulletproof when it comes to warranty stuff, like an axleback exhaust. there is really no imaginable way that subaru would deny a warranty claim for something other than the actual muffler if you replace it. BUT, the shifter is attached to some pretty expensive and important parts of your vehicle that could fail sometime down the line.

i think you will be very happy with the subaru kit plus the shifter bushings.

I emailed my Dealer; he said he would look into it as well...
    If they say its fine; ill probably go with the Kartboy SS and Bushings.
    If not, then I might go with the SPT SS and SPT bushings.

Thanks for the input!

On another note; I think i'm going to buy the center armrest extension; how useful it this? I feel like as it comes stock the armrest is pretty far back...Any opinions on it?

I'm assuming the installation is just a few screws as well...

Also, any ideas on how the bumper cover is installed (Glue, Screw, etc...?)

I Support ClubWRX
    The bumper is held in place witha couple of plastic pins.You have to take it off along with the grill.Here is a video on how to take it off
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Im referring to the rear bumper cover. Just so I don't ding up the bumper itself too much; not the actual bumper itself...

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    As for the armrest extension - I have it and like it a lot. It really depends on your size. Sit in the car and see where your arm falls without it. For me, as an average sized guy having it allows me to actually rest my elbow on it comfortably while holding the shifter, but some owners with longer arms don't need it.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast