New 2011 WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 2011 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok,the rear bumper cover is adhesive backed.I guess you would have to heat it with a hair dryer to get ...

I Support ClubWRX
    ok,the rear bumper cover is adhesive backed.I guess you would have to heat it with a hair dryer to get it off.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on the car - great color choice.
    I have had my car for about 3 weeks and am loving it.
    The armrest extension - it's ok - wish it extended a little more.
    As for the shifting - this time around I went with the Subaru SSK, had that installed at time of delivery. I also has a smaller shift knob installed - shifting in my opinion from stock was greatly improved. I drove the car 2 weeks before having the front and rear shifter bushings from Kartboy installed. This is how the car should come from the factory. Precise and smooth.
    '11 WRX Ltd Sedan DGM
    '11 Audi Q5 2.0T IW
    '98 C2S 3.8 GW
    '95 968 Cab GPW

BigDaddyRex and CVG993, it seems like the arm rest extension is definitaly something i'll pick up this week.
    Rage-wrx; thanks for the info. I would just have the dealer install it; but if it is as simple as an adhesive back I'll just do that myself.

I got the base model WRX with all weather floor mats.
    Within the week ill be adding the arm-rest extension, rear bumper cover, the Subaru SPT Short Shifter and Bushings (maybe also throw on the MOMO shift knob...)

All the things above I feel should have just come stock with the car!

I got the MODE Racing Double-Adjustable short shifter, Kartboy front and rear bushings, and Kartboy knuckleball shift knob. The shifter is essentially the same as the old COBB short shifter and as such is adjustable for both height and throw (unlike the Kartboy and others). I love it a lot and it was easy to install, but it obviously doesn't fall under the Subaru warranty. I'd definitely recommend it, though, due to its customizability.

RE: the armrest extension, I just mentioned to my brother that the armrest extension isn't so useful for me because of how low I set the shifter's height. If I use the extension in the raised position, shifting becomes uncomfortable. Something to keep in mind, though my shifter is REALLY low between the shifter height setting and the short knob.
    Last edited by brandonlp; 02-19-2011 at 07:07 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    One thing I think is essential is a cargo net.When you throw the car into a turn,the groceries end up all over the place.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    One thing I think is essential is a cargo net.When you throw the car into a turn,the groceries end up all over the place.
    that's very true. got some cargo nets for my sedan, but they only hold all the little things i keep in the trunk. Another thing that helps that is a rubber mat.

So I got word from my dealer today;

I can get the SPT SS installed for 320$ at 95$/hour work and they said they would need 2 hours to do it!!!

INSANE!!
    So; I will be sticking to buy the SPT SS for 320$ over the 160$ for the Kartboy SS, since it will stay under my warranty...BUT I don't think Ill be spending 200$ on labor soon...

I'm not super mechanically savy, nor do I want to damage my car due to my ignorance...so whats my best option? Would a local mechanic be trustworthy to do this and save me 200$ on labor?

:/

the Subaru short shifter includes the linkage if i am not mistaken, much different and a much more difficult install than the kartboy which is just the lever, no the linkage. that is why the subaru unit is so much more expensive.

as far as the labor is concerened, while you would be paying a premium for labor at dealership, an independent mechanic is realistically going to charge you maybe $85 per hour at best, which is only a savings of $20. i think you are better off negotiating with the parts dept to come down on the price of the shift kit or finding the same shift kit somewhere else for cheaper. parts depts usually give brand new customers a discount on accessories, maybe that is an angle you can try to work.

good luck!

edit: found this price online for the subaru short shift kit: http://subarupartspeople.com/SearchP...+Throw+Shifter
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    the Subaru short shifter includes the linkage if i am not mistaken, much different and a much more difficult install than the kartboy which is just the lever, no the linkage. that is why the subaru unit is so much more expensive.

as far as the labor is concerened, while you would be paying a premium for labor at dealership, an independent mechanic is realistically going to charge you maybe $85 per hour at best, which is only a savings of $20. i think you are better off negotiating with the parts dept to come down on the price of the shift kit or finding the same shift kit somewhere else for cheaper. parts depts usually give brand new customers a discount on accessories, maybe that is an angle you can try to work.

good luck!

edit: found this price online for the subaru short shift kit: SubaruPartsPeople.com - Genuine Subaru Parts and Subaru Accessories

Mhmm, gotcha.
    So I guess i'll be stuck paying the 200$ for labor no matter what. If I 'supplied' the part to the dealer, after ordering it myself cheaper (ei. the site you linked) if they can't cut me some 'new purchasee slack' that it would bring total cost to about $450 rather than $550

It's still all so DAMN expensive considering the aftermarket part costs only 160$!!!

On a quick other note; I drove my car earlier and it was pretty chilly out, and even after letting the car get kinda-warm (not warm yet though...) and the car didn't want to go into first gear without really pushing it into gear. I assume it's from the cold since it went away once the engine was hot; but I figured all you Gurus could lend a knowledgable hand here!

its worth it imho when you consider you are replacing the linkage and you are maintaining your warranty at the same time.

were you trying to push the shifter into first while you were still moving? if so, stop doing that, you are going to cause some damage. if it didnt want to go into first when you were not moving, then it was probably just the cold. dont force anything. sometimes it helps to put it into another gear and then put it into first.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

I think it was just the cold since it was just when I was leaving starting from a stop. I definitely didn't FORCE it into gear though, it was just a bit more love I needed to give the shifter. [and like you said, putting the shifter into 2nd the 1st does make things smoother]

Also, why would it be bad to put the car into 1st when moving...?

you should not ever downshift into 1st gear while the car is moving. that is the first thing my dad taught me when he showed me how to drive stick. the newer subaru transmissions have double synchros in first gear to make it smoother, but its just something i have always avoided unless im barely rolling in a parking lot or something. its not good for your transmission and can cause some serious problems if you downshift into first while going to fast and let out the clutch.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

what I'd like to know (forgive me if I missed it) is what the rear bumper cover has to do with the shifter and armrest extension? ... kinda lost on that one.

As for 1st, you'll be fine letting the car into first whilst rolling at the bottom of 1st gear speeds. DO NOT FORCE IT! but rather let it settle back into first. Otherwise you can bend shift forks and damage synchros. Personally I come out of 2nd on the way down and just coast to a stop. Put back in 1st when time to start back off again.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Yea. Driving; see a red light...downshift into 2nd. Come to a stop. Bring it into neutral. Light turns green and put it into first and take off.
    Driving into a parking lot, put into 1st when rolling around looking for a spot.

So, I still take it that my car not wanting to go into first easily was due to the cold....

what I'd like to know (forgive me if I missed it) is what the rear bumper cover has to do with the shifter and armrest extension? ... kinda lost on that one.
    Nothing in common.
    I want to buy a rear bumper cover and armrest extension and I just wanted to know how easy their installs were...

So I've been paying more attention to the shifting after you posted this, and here's what I've arrived at. You basically always have to wait a little before engaging the next gear. How you're driving really doesn't seem to matter all that much. The basic idea is you need to give it a 1/2 second for the revs to drop and you can make the gear changes like butter. You just can't shift instantaneously and keep on the power with zero gap unless you don't let the revs drop and do a tiny powershift.

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    you should not ever downshift into 1st gear while the car is moving. that is the first thing my dad taught me when he showed me how to drive stick. the newer subaru transmissions have double synchros in first gear to make it smoother, but its just something i have always avoided unless im barely rolling in a parking lot or something. its not good for your transmission and can cause some serious problems if you downshift into first while going to fast and let out the clutch.
    That's not really true. If you shift at low speed and rev match you should be fine. I've downshifted into 1st in a car before at 20+ without any trouble. You just need to be careful. As the OP says below it's perfectly normal to downshift into 1st when going into a parking lot and you're doing 5 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuka View Post
    Yea. Driving; see a red light...downshift into 2nd. Come to a stop. Bring it into neutral. Light turns green and put it into first and take off.
    Driving into a parking lot, put into 1st when rolling around looking for a spot.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.