Adios Honda, Hola Scoobies!! - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Adios Honda, Hola Scoobies!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Daddy_Digital turbo controller Do you mean an aftermarket electronic boost solenoid? No, you absolutely do not need ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy_Digital View Post
    turbo controller
    Do you mean an aftermarket electronic boost solenoid? No, you absolutely do not need one as of yet.

turbo timer in the future
    I'm guessing that your pals are into DSMs? Modern turbos are mostly water + oil cooled. Thanks to the thermostat, water (coolant) continues to flow through the turbo even after the car is turned off. Therefore, there are no concerns with oil caking. Read: Turbo timers are a waste of money and gas.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Read: Turbo timers are a waste of money and gas.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Welcome! I to left the Honda scene after building 6 civics and picked up an 03 subie wagon and absolutely love it! Nice find on a bone stock wagon. Nice civic to!

Do you mean an aftermarket electronic boost solenoid? No, you absolutely do not need one as of yet.I'm guessing that your pals are into DSMs? Modern turbos are mostly water + oil cooled. Thanks to the thermostat, water (coolant) continues to flow through the turbo even after the car is turned off. Therefore, there are no concerns with oil caking. Read: Turbo timers are a waste of money and gas.
    no...buddy is kinda dumb lol. but i dont see why i couldnt get an electronic boost controller. the car has boost..the engine is built for it..so why cant i tuen it up a lil whenever i want some more power? cant the engine handle it? im not gonna be racingit or anything like that. its not like im gonna try to push 25 psi or anything that would potentially break the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Illwagon View Post
    Welcome! I to left the Honda scene after building 6 civics and picked up an 03 subie wagon and absolutely love it! Nice find on a bone stock wagon. Nice civic to!
    i feel the same way. i love my wagon. such a nice upgrade. even my kids like it more then the civic and they LOVED the civic lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    since you have an 02/03 wrx you can increase boost with a boost controller. It's not recommended to do more than a couple of lbs of boost with it though. It's a much better idea to get a boost control solenoid. You absolutely have to get a tune for the boost control solenoid. It's not a first step in a mod path though. Before you start modifying your WRX you need to do a lot of research. The ECU for the WRX is very finicky, and it doesn't like "plug and play" modifications like other cars do.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Car looks clean as **** for 162k good find bro, fix that oil pan tho
    Zak
    Stink Eye Mob #35
    '09 WRX Hatch
    COBB Accessport: TP Stage 1 Tune
    3" COBB Single Tip Catback, COBB Shortshifter, 1/2 Bilstein Lowering Springs, Perrin Strut, Whiteline Sways, 18x7.5 Enkei Ev05

zax
    no...buddy is kinda dumb lol. but i dont see why i couldnt get an electronic boost controller. the car has boost..the engine is built for it..so why cant i tuen it up a lil whenever i want some more power? cant the engine handle it? im not gonna be racingit or anything like that. its not like im gonna try to push 25 psi or anything that would potentially break the engine.
    Your car already has a two-port EBCS system that is very effective (stock). A 3-port EBCS will increase boost response and cut your WGDC in half, but you will need a tune to install. Like Kevin said, you COULD get a MBC and turn up the boost slightly (assuming you have a downpipe and uppipe installed), but you will lose some of the safety features. An EBCS allows variable boost control, and gives the ECU the ability to pull boost when it detects knock or especially if you're running Meth and your sprayer siezes.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    since you have an 02/03 wrx you can increase boost with a boost controller. It's not recommended to do more than a couple of lbs of boost with it though. It's a much better idea to get a boost control solenoid. You absolutely have to get a tune for the boost control solenoid. It's not a first step in a mod path though. Before you start modifying your WRX you need to do a lot of research. The ECU for the WRX is very finicky, and it doesn't like "plug and play" modifications like other cars do.
    ok makes sense. ill make sure to tell my buddy that. he did suggest a MBC since its eaiser to install. im begining to understand that just about any engine mod, u have to get it tuned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwalk View Post
    Car looks clean as **** for 162k good find bro, fix that oil pan tho
    getting the oil pan fixed on saturday. im glad i didnt have to buy a tranny.

Your car already has a two-port EBCS system that is very effective (stock). A 3-port EBCS will increase boost response and cut your WGDC in half, but you will need a tune to install. Like Kevin said, you COULD get a MBC and turn up the boost slightly (assuming you have a downpipe and uppipe installed), but you will lose some of the safety features. An EBCS allows variable boost control, and gives the ECU the ability to pull boost when it detects knock or especially if you're running Meth and your sprayer siezes.
    ill definetly keep this in mind. i think i might just leave it stock. just lower the car, put some nice rims on it. id hate to ruin this car by doing something dumb..ie: trying to make it go faster. thanks so much for the advice.

zax
    ill definetly keep this in mind. i think i might just leave it stock. just lower the car, put some nice rims on it. id hate to ruin this car by doing something dumb..ie: trying to make it go faster. thanks so much for the advice.
    There's something to be said.... make sure you research the Subaru's suspension dynamics. With a Honda, the lower you drop, the better it seems to handle. Not the case with WRXs. You will want a mild drop, new struts, swaybars and endlinks, and better tires (plus a good alignment) to make the car handle well. Slamming the car (i.e. dropping the car until the control arms are inverted) will adversely affect the performance.

Facebook me here

There's something to be said.... make sure you research the Subaru's suspension dynamics. With a Honda, the lower you drop, the better it seems to handle. Not the case with WRXs. You will want a mild drop, new struts, swaybars and endlinks, and better tires (plus a good alignment) to make the car handle well. Slamming the car (i.e. dropping the car until the control arms are inverted) will adversely affect the performance.
    ive always wondered why many of the subarus i see in the gallery arent slammed and that makes a lot of sense now. well iam researching suspension right now. mainly seeing what other members are using in there set up. i plan on buying new struts because i think it still has the struts that came with the car. it rides fine, but i know if i lower it, those struts are not going to last. i like my ride to be comfortable. the tires i have on now are new and they are bridgestones. not sure yet what rims im going with. but if i did, id go with the sparco drift 17x7 in bronze or strip n paint the stock rims gold.

i like those rims

well i did a lil more research, cant get the drifts in my lug pattern. so im gonna go with the Sparco Assetto Gara in 17x7.5 with a 215/45/17 tire.
    Last edited by Daddy_Digital; 03-01-2011 at 08:20 AM.

zax
    well i did a lil more research, cant get the drifts in my lug pattern. so im gonna go with the sparco Assetto Gara in 17x7.5 with a 215/45/17 tire.
    IIRC, Sparco wheels are heavy and generally poor quality...

Facebook me here

^^ i think for what i need them for, ill be ok. im not racing, auto crossing. just daily drive. im done trying to race. i got kids and a wifey. im just going for looks. but im still in ther researching phase as well. so far i like the sparcos. atleast i didnt go with rotas.

zax
    atleast i didnt go with rotas.
    And why is that? I have rotas, and I've not had problems.

My rotas are 17x7.5 and 19.5 lbs, those sparcos are 17x7 and 21 lbs.

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.