Finally....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Finally.... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; New poster here.... Actually first time owning a WRX after years of wanting one. Im excited! I made the decision ...

Finally....

New poster here....
    Actually first time owning a WRX after years of wanting one. Im excited! I made the decision to actively pursue a WRX about three weeks ago. Yeah, none in my local area that looked good. I am in Southern New Mexico. So the online search began.. After seeing lots of things that looked good I finally found "The One". Just signed the papers today and am headed to Lubbock TX to pick her up on sunday, oh thats gonna be a fun 6 hour joyride home to get acquainted...

She is a 2010 hatchback, completely stock. Decent miles for a one year old car, 14k. Under factory warranty and also an extended warranty in case my newbie butt makes a rookie mistake and breaks something (i think this in inevitable). I think I got a great deal too despite such a large loan for my first time financing a car. This is essentially a brand new ride that has been broken in as a commuter.

I have to admit though that there is going to be a learning curve when it comes to learning how to drive her. Any suggestions or insider tips from those that might know the ins and outs of this ride? I don't plan on racing this car, notice I say plan? I do think that as soon as I can I want to add aftermarket exhaust and a short shifter. I love the sound of the WRX with a nice exhaust system. Any suggestions on what to get? Also I don't know much about the short shifter but it seems like it is almost a necessary upgrade. What are the advantages?

Looking forward to not only getting the car but also the lifelong adventure as a WRX owner that I think I just signed up for. Pretty sure after a couple of years in this car Im going for an STI. Also looking forward to any tips, advice, or comments everyone has in store.....

Hurry up and be Sunday already........

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay508
    I have to admit though that there is going to be a learning curve when it comes to learning how to drive her. Any suggestions or insider tips from those that might know the ins and outs of this ride?
    No real "inside" tips, just spend some seat time and figure it out yourself (part of the fun). Until the oil is up to operating temp (my oil temp gauge takes about twice as long as the OE water temp to get to OT), you'll want to stay out of boost. Once the oil is up to OT, I like to shift in the 3500-4500 range.

I love the sound of the WRX with a nice exhaust system. Any suggestions on what to get?
    This is a subjective question. Figure out what style (OE or fartcan) and volume you want, then get seat time in cars with each installed (online videos don't give accurate representation). Make sure the ride includes all types of driving (normal DD driving, WOT, highway cruise, idle).

Also I don't know much about the short shifter but it seems like it is almost a necessary upgrade. What are the advantages?
    With the lever, shorter shifts. With bushings, more feedback and accurate shifts. The bushings are more important than the lever, IMO.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and congrats!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Club!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Welcome And congrats on the new ride!

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    With the lever, shorter shifts. With bushings, more feedback and accurate shifts. The bushings are more important than the lever, IMO.
    I absolutely agree with this, if you have to choose one over the other first, bushings all the way.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

pics... welcome to the club
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and good luck with your WRX.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Thanks for the welcome, friends.
    Pics are to follow shortly, Sunday can't get here fast enough.

I appreciate the feedback already given. Really looking forward to getting some much anticipated "seat time". Being a newbie to Soobies and pretty much to cars in general (never really have tinkered much with the exception of simple brake pad changes, oil changes, etc...) so please forgive if I ask some pretty simplistic questions in the beginning. Such as what is Boost? I know this has to do with the turbo. is it the point, in rpms, when the turbo kicks in? Also when mentioning getting the bushings upgraded before the shifter, is this the internal guts of the transmission? Is it best to upgrade the bushings and the shifter all at once? Also when having aftermarket pieces installed at a subaru dealership, are you limited to what you can get or can you order pretty much any aftermarket piece you want from any company, have them install it, and be under factory warranty still? Or is this something that is more likely to be done at shop other than the dealership?

Again, I apologize for newbie questions and thanks again....

My definition of boost is psi(pounds square inch) the amount of air your turbo produces. Could be wrong but that how it was explained to me
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

I see, so does it have to do with how much air is being taken in by the turbo? If so, Im assuming more air means higher performance turbo or would it be opposite? Does the amount of air the turbo produce effect the performance? Is PSI adjustable? I see different WRXs with different PSI settings (adjustable, or different turbo units?)

Oh man, I can see a hundred questions forming already, I need to find some local WRX gearheads to hook up with. Unfortunately don't think there are many in my town. Car of choice around here seems to be a dropped cadillac with ridiculous sound systems

Quote Originally Posted by Jay508 View Post
    . Such as what is Boost? I know this has to do with the turbo. is it the point, in rpms, when the turbo kicks in?

Boost is the amount of pressure the turbo produces within your intake, to put it simply.

Also when mentioning getting the bushings upgraded before the shifter, is this the internal guts of the transmission?
    No, these are the bushings that are a part of the linkage that connects the shifter to the transmission, they are all external

Is it best to upgrade the bushings and the shifter all at once?
    Yes, you're already in the area and it'll make the biggest difference

Also when having aftermarket pieces installed at a subaru dealership, are you limited to what you can get or can you order pretty much any aftermarket piece you want from any company, have them install it, and be under factory warranty still? Or is this something that is more likely to be done at shop other than the dealership?
    Aftermarket parts will not be covered, even if they're installed at the dealership. I would go to a quality garage that specializes in aftermarket (preferrably Subaru experience) to do the work. Dealer will be very expensive.

Again, I apologize for newbie questions and thanks again....
    That's why we're all here
    Stink eye mob #727

Is PSI adjustable? I see different WRXs with different PSI settings (adjustable, or different turbo units?)
    Both, it is adjustable through engine management (ie: tuning), and different turbos are capable of compressing different volumes of air, resulting in different boost
    Stink eye mob #727

Yes sir psi can be adjusted. More psi means more power. It would have to be tuned. You would need a manual boost controller or a electronic boost controller. Find a shop near u that works on subaru and can explain more about tuning. They no a lot more than me :-).
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Be advised most of the time tuning your car will led to voided warranty
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Congrats and welcome! We all had to learn somewhere, (I'm no expert by any means and learn something new here everyday) and this probably the best place to be to learn.

Here's a link that can explain in more detail how a turbo works. HowStuffWorks "How Turbochargers Work" Lots of other good info there too.

You definitely want to have the bushing done with the shifter since the tech is going to be in their anyway, and it's like a $25 part.

There's some SPT and STI parts like gauges and exhaust that won't disrupt your warranty. I could be wrong but some mild suspension upgrades should be ok. Sway bars, endlinks, and bushings shouldn't be problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong guys.
    Last edited by Stlgrndskeeper; 02-16-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast