2011 Exhaust drone might kill the deal...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 Exhaust drone might kill the deal... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I researched forever and finally decided that a 2011 WRX Hatchback would be my perfect part-time commuter/winter car (I drive ...

2011 Exhaust drone might kill the deal...

I researched forever and finally decided that a 2011 WRX Hatchback would be my perfect part-time commuter/winter car (I drive an M3 when the sun is shining). AWD for traction, just enough space with the hatchback and guaranteed smiles with the turbo engine.

I check my local dealer's web site every week or so, and yesterday I finally got a hit - a WRX 4-dr was in stock! I went out and drove it and the performance was just what I had hoped for - lots of pep and plenty of grip.

The one thing that bothered me right away was the exhaust drone while the car was idling. I realize this is practically a requirement for the age group this car is targeted to, but it's just not for me. It literally made it hard to talk when the car was idling! (though it was almost unnoticeable once we were moving)

So, here's the deal... both my wife and I will be driving this car, and there's no way she'll green-light this purchase if the exhaust sound remains. I really want the car, and I'm willing to replace whatever component needs to be replaced (I assume the muffler?) as long as it's under $500 or so. Is this doable? Any suggestions so I can have a plan before I buy it?

On a side note I remember reading a comment suggesting that the hatchback has a different muffler/exhaust than the 4-dr. Is the hatchback quieter than the sedan? Any first-hand knowledge?

Thanks for your help... I really want this car!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CinciJeff View Post
    I researched forever and finally decided that a 2011 WRX Hatchback would be my perfect part-time commuter/winter car (I drive an M3 when the sun is shining). AWD for traction, just enough space with the hatchback and guaranteed smiles with the turbo engine.

I check my local dealer's web site every week or so, and yesterday I finally got a hit - a WRX 4-dr was in stock! I went out and drove it and the performance was just what I had hoped for - lots of pep and plenty of grip.

The one thing that bothered me right away was the exhaust drone while the car was idling. I realize this is practically a requirement for the age group this car is targeted to, but it's just not for me. It literally made it hard to talk when the car was idling! (though it was almost unnoticeable once we were moving)

So, here's the deal... both my wife and I will be driving this car, and there's no way she'll green-light this purchase if the exhaust sound remains. I really want the car, and I'm willing to replace whatever component needs to be replaced (I assume the muffler?) as long as it's under $500 or so. Is this doable? Any suggestions so I can have a plan before I buy it?

On a side note I remember reading a comment suggesting that the hatchback has a different muffler/exhaust than the 4-dr. Is the hatchback quieter than the sedan? Any first-hand knowledge?

Did the car have the SPT exhaust (port or dealer installed option)?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss --- with stock muffler there's really not much noise at idle..
    Last edited by Jack(LA); 02-15-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Replace the wife...jp. There is a little bit of drone at idle, but I find that once the car is warmed up it's not that bad. I did get a laugh when you said it's a requirement for the age group. Hit it right on the head. I love that low subie rumble! I don't think they offer an SPT exhaust for 11 sedans yet.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

KHP
    Actually I'm at a loss about this also. My 5 door's stock exhaust was very quiet you can barely hear it on a cold start and virtually whisper quiet when warmed up @ idle. Once I replaced it with SPT catback it was fairly loud when the engine is cold and then would quiet down when it's all warmed up with a low rumble undertone.

Maybe my car is loud and I'm just used to it now . lol you can convince her that she'll get used to it or end up buying a BMW.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by CinciJeff View Post

Does this car have a spt exhaust on it ? .. Not sure about the 11's but my 2010 is super silent with the factory exhaust in place. Especially at Idle.. Now granted mine is a hatch. From what I've heard from the street the sedan is louder in factory trim but I didn't think it was that loud.

fyi, you cannot compare the scoobie to the bimmer.. If you want bimmer quiet, find a "pre loved" 330xi. Those will easily pass the Wifey test.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

hmm...interesting...the wrx is not quiet...but, not that loud to be bothersome...but, that's me...

Thanks all... I'll take the option of "replacing the wife" under advisement, but don't hold your breath

I don't remember seeing anything about the SPT exhaust system on the window sticker, just the short-throw shifter (which by the way looked really tall - though the throws were pretty decent).

The hatch is what I'm after, so I'll probably wait until I can find one on the lot to try out. I'll also roam the boards and I'm sure I can find someone that will tell me about theirs.

Oh, and I've got no interest in comparing the WRX to my bimmer... They each serve a purpose and for what I'm after, I think the scoobie is the best bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by petiks View Post
    hmm...interesting...the wrx is not quiet...but, not that loud to be bothersome...but, that's me...
    depends on what you compare it to. Its the only awd car of its performance abilities in the price range it fits......

Are we comparing to lexus/caddy/infinity? .. if so you're comparing to the wrong cars. When I first brought mine home I had to listen hard to figure out when to shift. It wasn't till I changed the shifter bushings and trans mount that I felt the car was actually "vocal" enough to be noticeable.

bottom line, if you dont like the sound find another car. The wrx isn't aimed at the demographic that likes super quiet/smooth/luxury cars. If it was, it would cost a crapload more.

Mini has a awd offering in about same price range, there's always the lancer ralliart too if you want to spend more for a weaker but quieter car.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Actually I'm good with the noise level when on the road - I think a high-HP engine should sound that way. Maybe it was a fluke, but seriously, when either I or the sales guy was talking in the cabin during idle, it sounded like we were talking into a fan - it was modulating the sound that much.

I'm a problem solver by nature... I'll figure this out yet!

Like said at first, I've heard the sedan exhaust is more resonant in factory trim. I'm thinkin you'll be happy in the hatch with the factory exhaust. You should hear what mine is like with the mounts changed. Its quite vocal but doesn't say anything I dont like .. and at Idle its nice n quiet. My exhaust is still all factory though.. and at speeds between 60-80mph its very tolerable even with the mounts/bushings. When it was factory the only thing I could hear at highway speeds was road/wind noise.

They still really would do well with a nice coating of aftermarket sound deadener on the floor, firewall and trunk area though. Problem is ya gotta cut cost somewhere, else the car slides outside its demographic.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Wow my ears must be shot. My STI is so quiet I can barely hear it under WOT. Hence the straight axle-back coming my way hopefully tomorrow.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes you can get an SPT for sedans https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...oducts_id=1752

Everyone here is in love with their car,nobody including me is bothered by the rumble coming from it(more so on cold start).It is mostly silent once the car warms up.You should ask your wife to sit in the car & see how much quieter it is inside. My wife says that the car is loud & sounds like a tractor on the outside.Not everybody can appreciate the boxer sound,especially someone who has no interest in it.The hatch back is said to be quieter than the sedan to my dismay.What age group do you come under?Subaru says the target customer for a WRX is a male in his early 30s who is well educated and lives an active lifestyle.

Unless the cars you saw have an SPT exhaust that can be replaced for stock,I don't see how you could quieten the stock exhaust.Like mangostick said you could get some dynamat & further deaden the "noise".
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 02-15-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

The boxer rumble is 1 of my favorate quirks with these cars.... that like saying you bought a ferrari or lamborghini and you don't like the sound of the engine... (on a much smaller scale of course)

You probally were in a car equipped with the spt cat back exhaust and on a cold start of course its going to be louder... when I first start mine up on cold mornings its at about 1500 rpms and I have an N1 CBE and its still not that bad in the early mornings...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Also I forgot to mention these cars have a secondary air pump on them... it activates on really cold starts to force air through the exhaust to warm up the catalytic converters to lower emissions...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

^ Interesting. Did not know that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast