2011 Exhaust drone might kill the deal... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 Exhaust drone might kill the deal... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Exhaust may drone more in the hatch than the sedan. Keep that in mind....

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Exhaust may drone more in the hatch than the sedan. Keep that in mind.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CinciJeff View Post
    On a side note I remember reading a comment suggesting that the hatchback has a different muffler/exhaust than the 4-dr. Is the hatchback quieter than the sedan? Any first-hand knowledge?

Thanks for your help... I really want this car!
    Yes, the hatchback exhaust is quieter than the sedan. Of course I didn't have a decible meter but using my own ears it was noticibly quieter
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Yes, the hatchback exhaust is quieter than the sedan. Of course I didn't have a decible meter but using my own ears it was noticibly quieter
    That makes sense. An exhaust fitted to my wagon will drone more than a comparable sedan... more interior noise b/c the muffler is located below the passenger compartment rather than the trunk. I'm sure the same is true for the Hatch.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

The stock 2011 WRX sedan exhaust is louder than any other year stock WRX exhaust. From what I have read the hatch is not as loud. There are many youtube videos with the different exhausts. Try listening to these to make your desicion.

I was going to buy the SPT exhuast but Subaru hadn't made it yet when I ordered mine. I love the sound of the new exhaust and I'm glad I didn't spend the money on the SPT.

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Something else to consider is was the vehicle boxed in by other cars/ wall behind it? The noise could have been amplified if either were true.

I started one up at Subaru of Annapolis and it had a concrete wall behind it which really amplified the noise... but I enjoy the rumble :]
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Lightnin'
    There are many youtube videos with the different exhausts. Try listening to these to make your desicion.
    The issue is a difference in sound quality due to equipment and compressions. First-hand is the only way to make an accurate decision.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

i'm pretty sure your M3 is louder at idle and and WOT as compared with the 2011 stock setup. i have a 2010 hatch, and while the exhaust setup is not exactly like the 2011, it is SILENT! i cant hear the exhaust note at idle or at WOT even with all the windows down.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    That makes sense. An exhaust fitted to my wagon will drone more than a comparable sedan... more interior noise b/c the muffler is located below the passenger compartment rather than the trunk. I'm sure the same is true for the Hatch.
    yeah but you should see the size of the muffler under my hatch man.. its HUGE. Reminds me of a 50gal drum shaved in half and stuck to the bottom of the car lol.

Since my sound deadening suggestion was mentioned, there's a brush in layerable solution that I'll be using once the weather gets warm. I'll have to dig up the link and post it when I get home (out on travel now and using work laptop).
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

when i test drove both sedan and hatch (both sti and wrx) the only one that I noticed a slight drone was the sedan. i purchased the sedan, and have no problem with the exhuast.
    '11 WRX Ltd Sedan DGM
    '11 Audi Q5 2.0T IW
    '98 C2S 3.8 GW
    '95 968 Cab GPW

Guys, again thanks for the input. My best guess after reading everything here and on other forums is that 1) the engine was cold, resulting in a louder than normal exhaust "drone" in the cabin and 2) the hatchback's exhaust is generally quieter than the sedan's.

I won't place my order until I actually drive a hatchback, but I have a lot more confidence now that the exhaust "issue" will be minimized and that I can get around any hesitation by the wifey. Of course, trying to predict such a response from a woman is about as likely as predicting the Lotto numbers, but at least I have somewhere to start.

Why are you glad you didn't spt? If it not loud enough for you just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Lightnin' View Post
    The stock 2011 WRX sedan exhaust is louder than any other year stock WRX exhaust. From what I have read the hatch is not as loud. There are many youtube videos with the different exhausts. Try listening to these to make your desicion.

I was going to buy the SPT exhuast but Subaru hadn't made it yet when I ordered mine. I love the sound of the new exhaust and I'm glad I didn't spend the money on the SPT.

Banned
    I have a 2011 WRX hatchback w/ out the SPT exhaust. Havent noticed too much noise at idle especially once it drops to 500 rpm (warmed up). Then again, I try not to spend too much time sitting around idling the car.

On the road, engine noise is limited to turbo whine (loud but fun) and wind/tire noise. Check out the hatch and let us know.

We test drove a sedan before we got our hatch and it did seem loud now that I think about it (at the time I thought maybe it had the SPT but the sticker said not)

I have a 2011 WRX Sedan and a 99 M-Roadster (both with stock exhaust). The exhaust noise is definitely subtler on the WRX from the inside but they have the same volume (although different tone) when heard from outside the car. However, the reason the M-Roadster seems louder maybe because the top is never up and the exhausts exits about 4 foot away from my ears...

The only time I notice the exhaust kinda loud from the inside is when the engine is running around 1500 RPM. This is on the stock exhaust on the '11 Sedan.
    Robert

Stink-Eye Mob #1313
    2011 WRX 4 Door Ltd in DGM

i own a 2010 WRX hatch, i test drove 2011 STI limited sedan, the sedan was much more vocal.(liked it btw). my hatch on the other hand is so quiet i drive with the radio turned down or off. i plan on installing exhaust in the spring. that's how quiet it is! it is noiseier when cold, the sedan more so, i didn't find it that loud though. good luck with your deceision!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast