An Observation today on my 2011

This is a discussion on An Observation today on my 2011 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have about 2000 miles on her, love this car very much super fun to drive just wishing I can ...

An Observation today on my 2011

I have about 2000 miles on her, love this car very much super fun to drive just wishing I can save enough $$ for a new sound system. Anyways I red lined her today, got to about 7K and it seemed the engine just kind of lost power almost like it did not want to excel any more so I shifted of course. Seemed kind of strange but maybe a safety mechanism on the engine? I red lined before and just "blip it" in the red and shifted because I was doing about 100 and the straight away was running out but did not notice the engine do anything strange like today. What do you all think? Normal or should I be concerned or try another redline

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The turbo on the 2011 doesn't run out of air as quick as a TD-04 does on the pre-09 WRX's but I'd imagine it runs out of breath as you approach redline. TD-04's start to drop off quick >5k rpm.

Redline is 6500, not sure what the rev limiter is on 2011's, but I bet it's not much more than 7k.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

you hit the rev limiter. cuts power to keep you from blowing up your motor. not a big deal, i just woulndt do it regularly.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

That's what I thought, I figured there was some sort of safety shut down to protect the engine. Thanks very much dbya rx! I think i'll stay away from doing that regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grains View Post
    That's what I thought, I figured there was some sort of safety shut down to protect the engine. Thanks very much dbya rx! I think i'll stay away from doing that regularly.
    You should stay away from doing it at all. Not healthy for your engine. The redline is there for a reason. Don't go above it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yeah it's not going to happen again! Hopefully I didn't injure her

you'll be fine. i hit the rev limiter a couple times when i took my car on the track a few weeks ago, tough to pay attention to the revs plus the turns plus the other vehicles flying around me. i dont make a habit of it, and no one should.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Hitting the rev limiter - you my friend are having a good time.

I never even get close to the rev in my 02. Power curve and full boost seems to be between 3 to 5. although i am very new to the subaru, maybe i need more time behind the wheel.