uppipe vs. NH emmisions test
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on uppipe vs. NH emmisions test within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Does anyone know if you complete a uppipe mod on a 02 wrx, when you plug the egt hole and ...

uppipe vs. NH emmisions test

Does anyone know if you complete a uppipe mod on a 02 wrx, when you plug the egt hole and bypass the wire so the check engine lite stays out, will it still pass emmesions test and even though the light is out does a code still come up on the scanner?????In the great state of NH, if you have a check engine light or obd 2 scan test shows a code, that means no inspection sticker...thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you bypass it and delete the DTC code/s then it is all up to the sniffer and visual test to determine if you are leagle...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

im not concerned about the visual test because im going to use a stock pipe but punch it out. as far as the obd test im def concerned that the computer will pick it up. i will have to look alout deeper on this.....thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    If by "bypass the wire" you're referring to the resistor fix, there should be no stored CEL.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

thats the answer i was looking for thanks man. can't wait to start taking it apart.

Delete the DTC codes/s via accessport or romraider, reset the ecu and goodbye CEL...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastchance43
    thats the answer i was looking for thanks man. can't wait to start taking it apart.
    My advice: buy another uppipe, gut it at your own leisure, install gutted uppipe, sell the one on your car (or keep it to reinstall if/when you part the car back to stock for sale).

Uppipe gutting can be a PITA, and if you run into an issue during the process (I've snapped drill bits in the cat and had to go buy new ones), you can be without a driveable car. Secondly, you want to make sure there are no pieces of cat material left in the uppipe that can be sucked into the turbo (not rushing to get the uppipe reinstalled will help). I've done a few, and gotten best results with a long drill bit, long flathead screwdriver, rubber mallet, and a wire brush drill attachment for "cleanup".

More importantly: you want to make sure it's done in a well-ventilated area (I always do it outside) and use respiratory protection.

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex
    Delete the DTC codes/s via accessport or romraider, reset the ecu and goodbye CEL...
    It's still a good idea to do the resistor fix, since if the circuit is left open, the ECU will try to compensate by adding fuel.
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-13-2011 at 06:43 PM.

UNYSOC

ya i read that in your post. i will buy a aftermarket one or a sti one so i can exactly do just that and put mine back on when i sell car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastchance43
    ya i read that in your post. i will buy a aftermarket one or a sti one so i can exactly do just that and put mine back on when i sell car.
    There would be no need to gut the uppipe, then, since either of those will be catless. In theory, aftermarket should be superior to either OE option (OE 2.5L or gutted OE 2.0L) based on design, but you would likely not be able to notice a difference (especially at lower mod levels).

UNYSOC

True... the resistor fix is a very good option, I just wasn't sure if he was in a big hurry cause it is mid month... I have to ger restickered as soon as my car gets fixed... bad timing I guess...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    True... the resistor fix is a very good option, I just wasn't sure if he was in a big hurry cause it is mid month... I have to ger restickered as soon as my car gets fixed... bad timing I guess...lol
    I would think that someone being in a rush would be more prone to drive to any electronics store like RadioShack to buy a $1 or less resistor, rather than spending $100+ then waiting for the AP/Tactrix to get shipped

UNYSOC

Assuming he doesn't allready have 1 or acess to one... I was thinking that you had to special order the resistor too as well... sorry for the flawed judgement...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex
    Assuming he doesn't allready have 1 or acess to one... I was thinking that you had to special order the resistor too as well... sorry for the flawed judgement...
    I'm just busting chops, man

UNYSOC

Hello all,

Is there a how to gut the uppipe cat thread? Can anyone point me to it?

Best regards,

GS

Yeah... I know man...lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.