Rough roads?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Rough roads? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am still searching for a new car and thought I might ask people here first hand, how does the ...

Rough roads?

I am still searching for a new car and thought I might ask people here first hand, how does the new wrx handle on rough roads? I know this is a rally bread machine, but coming from a civic si and miata, I hate the sound whenever I do go on dirt or gravel roads or hit potholes or pavement imperfections.
    I'm a suby noob btw, but I have just seen so many vids of wrx's going hard core off road tracks.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The suspension has lots of travel and the car is relatively softly sprung, so it does very well on uneven roads. However, with little sound deadening and lots of plastic that wasn't assembled as tightly as possible, there will be plenty of creaks and rattles.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

This summer I went camping and traveled about 30 miles on un-maintained roads. I was driving slow and boy was it noisy. My car handled the rough terrain like a champ though. I was a little scared going over some of the rocks. I feared smashing the transmission and getting stranded. Luckily all went well. I have no clue how a Civic or Miata would sound but they are built more for the street so I think the WRX could take a little more abuse.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I came from a truck but the first thing I noticed with my wrx is road noise is much higher while driving on back roads, rough roads, etc... It seemed to handle it fine like the others said.

The lane leaving my house is not paved and the sound of the little stone's hitting the plastic wheel wells gets irritating so I might find something to spray on them like bed liner to decrease the noise.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kenboots10 View Post
    coming from a civic si and miata
    Compared to these examples, the WRX will feel considerably more composed on rough terrain.

I hate the sound whenever I do go on dirt or gravel roads or hit potholes or pavement imperfections.
    If you are concerned with sound, in any sense of the word (except the exhaust note), the WRX is not for you.

I'm a suby noob btw, but I have just seen so many vids of wrx's going hard core off road tracks.
    Likely, most of these videos involve a fully-spec'd rally car. Unless you have $250,000+ to spend, the actual car you purchase will be very far removed.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I might be in the minority here, but I think my 09 is loud and harsh when I hit potholes. I actually cringe when it happens cause I'm worried about the car.

If you don't like noise, don't get an 04-07 STI.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If you don't like noise, don't get an 04-07 STI.
    I guarantee my bugeye makes more ridiculous rattles/diff/tranny noise than any 04-07 STi

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Like others have said, the car handles rough roads admirably. In my experience, ground clearance is really the limiting factor to what the car can do. I don't take it on real 4x4 trails, but forest service, logging, or other gravel roads shouldn't be a problem.

There are lots of rattles from the interior though. It stops as soon as you get back on paved roads, but you can tell Subaru sacrificed some build quality to keep the car cheap. If you drive off-road a lot, it could get annoying.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

there are much quieter, much less squeak and rattle prone vehicles out there as compared to the wrx. however, you have to sacrifice something for the speed and AWD. the fit and finish is the WRX is well behind the mazda and the honda, so if you are looking for a vehicle that is similar in interior quality, you may want to look into something else, but if you want to give up some of that for speed and enjoyment, the wrx is a good choice.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I guarantee my bugeye makes more ridiculous rattles/diff/tranny noise than any 04-07 STi
    May make more noise from the car...but the stiffer, tighter suspension (not to mention my blown rear struts which are very typical of 05 STIs), less sound deadening interior, and so on make for a loud ass ride.

Roffle...the battle to see who's car is worse with noise
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    not to mention my blown rear struts which are very typical of 05 STIs
    Too much junk in the trunk?

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Too much junk in the trunk?
    I like em round...real thick and juicy. Double up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.