WRX hatch vs sedan as a family car - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX hatch vs sedan as a family car within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; BTW a nice aftermarket exhaust with a good rumble puts the little ones from crying to sleeping peacefully...

BTW a nice aftermarket exhaust with a good rumble puts the little ones from crying to sleeping peacefully
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have a 3 and 5 year old, and there are no problems with seating in my WRX. I know I may not be liked by some when I say this (it is, however, just opinion) but I think that the Impreza is one of the only vehicles where the hatchback version actually trumps the sedan in terms of looks. I get to satisfy my desire to have a fast car, it is safe, is all wheel drive and looks really, really cool. It's a no-brainer imho. I went and looked at new CRV's and RAV-4's and they are on par with a WRX price-wise. Are you kidding me?

At the end of the day, though, you have to try them all for yourself. You'd be silly not to. It's also lots of fun to test drive different vehicles to see what suits you best. Get a list going of things you want/don't want and get yer arse out the door and try 'em!

PS - if you want to get a Thule box, you will still be able to fit the car into your garage, which you won't be able to do with a cute-ute!

Congrats! If you're looking for a bit more room, i'd recommend (or 2nd the recommendation for) the Legacy or Forester. Both are great vehicles. If you really want the power of the WRX, go with the GT/XT.
    2011 WRX Premium 5dr SWP
    Stink Eye Mob #27

Quote Originally Posted by Pdot View Post
    I think if your budget is unlimited, then by all means if you have your mind set on something then go test it out and see how it would fit your lifestyle. Ya never know, your wife may pop out twins! Plus once you have your first, most likely a second is on the way in the near future. Women get baby crazy after the first. If you buy a new 2011 and your wife has a child in the next year afterwards, you will or may have to get a new ride to accomodate the bigger family. It would be a shame because you would lose so much value on the WRX if you had to get rid of it.

Talk it over with the wife and see if more children are in the future. That may sway your choice...but like my first words...all depends on the budget...
    Do you have kids or experience with kids in a WRX? Because your post makes no sense, no offense. Myself and a poster above both have a 3 and 5 year old and the car works perfectly fine. No need for anything bigger. I thought I needed something bigger, and ended up with a G-wagen, but all the extra space did was accumulate clutter. I went back to a WRX again which should say something.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I would recommend a hatch just because being a new Dad you are going to want to build/buy things for your kids. I have moved furniture, lumber, gardening supplies and all kinds of things in my wagon. When you fold down the rear seats you can just fit so many things in the hatch.

Also I just got the infant car seat from First years and recommend it as well. Only car seat with 5 stars from the NHTSA.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Congrats on the baby! I recently traded in my Vette and my beater DD truck on a 2011 WRX hatch to fill my family's needs. The WRX is safe, awd, plenty roomy enough, fun as hell to drive, and looks really cool.

7n7
    Congrats! My vote is on the hatch. You can fit so much stuff in the back when you need to.

fyi, just because someone owns a fast car doesn't mean they are going to drive like an idiot. A mature adult can easily drive a nice car without being drawn into children trying to race them. Give the guy some credit, I doubt he is going to get this car so he can speed around like a bat out of hell when he has his kid in the car. These cars are extremely safe and reliable.

Also, +1 for the baby on board sign
    2011 DGM Premium WRX 5 door

-Ben

the hatchback might have a little more room than the sedan. get a wrx, its safe, fun and all-wheel drive, for me AWD is a must, I live in a colder/wetter state of WA.

I have the sedan, although its not my family car. I have a 3yr old, thank God im out of stroller. If you get a stroller, get the Maclaren, the smallest, easy to fold, doesnt get too much space.
    You can also get a Forester XT. same as a Rex but suv/suv..thats my family car though premium, not XT.

BTW, big Congrats....

I Support ClubWRX
    I've got two kids, 9 and 11, and have had WRX's since right after the 2nd was born. Plenty of space for 2 adults and one kid, with the trappings that go with it. (stroller, diaper bag, etc.)

Having said that, if you are going to have another any time soon, and this vehicle will be your primary, you'll need to think about it a little. A simple trip to the beach, or a night of car camping, with a family of four, where one of them is a baby, is much more of an event than most childless folk realize. Space becomes important, and the WRX suddenly becomes a smallish car. Mine functions as a second car after the wife's minivan, and now that the kids are older, it's no big deal to run them around in it.

Take your stroller to the dealer, and try out putting it in the sedan and the hatch. That should give some clarity to your base question. Good luck, and congrats!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    First and foremost Congrads I have a 22 month year old. It is the best feeling in the world. If u are not against going used 02 through 06 wrx wagons are baby friendly and super fun. I can fit strollers grocers and my sub woffer in my wrx. As for the idiots who try to race I sorta fixed that problem big old baby on board sign does wonders I live in Florida where everyone with a Honda or Nissan 240 want to race. Let them squeal there tires and humble be away just the fact of knowing you can work most of them is satisfaction. I say most because even though I hate Honda there are still some monsters out there lol. Again Congrads
    lol...i hate later model hondas with ginormous spoilers and side skirts and about at least 6" diameter muffler, even crx..i just laughed my a$$ off when some dude wanted to race the redlight.

I Support ClubWRX
    Qualified opnion (unlike some): 2 boys, 8 & 3. Though I did do 3 years of hard minivan time, I have no regrets on my WRX HB. I did however wait until my youngest was old enough to climb into his own seat. Get the Hatch...trust me, some things are taller beside the bumper than they were in the store.

ps - I do miss the overhead DVD though....I've resorted to using a Sony portable DVD unfolded and slid into that pocket on the back of the passenger seat. I refuse to cut holes into these beautiful seats.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by 7n7 View Post
    Also, +1 for the baby on board sign
    No offense (ok maybe a little) but these are the stupidest things ever. Yuppiemobile central.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    No offense (ok maybe a little) but these are the stupidest things ever. Yuppiemobile central.
    You may think that but you dont live in florida. Ive lived in colorado where youll go a month without someone beside you reving there engine trying to race. in florida youll be lucky to go a day without someone wanting to rev and race. what works for one may not work for another. granted its your opinion but did it really need to be heard?
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    You may think that but you dont live in florida. Ive lived in colorado where youll go a month without someone beside you reving there engine trying to race. in florida youll be lucky to go a day without someone wanting to rev and race. what works for one may not work for another. granted its your opinion but did it really need to be heard?
    Yes, yes it did. I will say again those signs are about the stupidest things you can put on your car. What purpose do they serve other than giving people a laugh at your expense?

Sorry man, but those signs are the lamest things out there.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Yes, yes it did. I will say again those signs are about the stupidest things you can put on your car. What purpose do they serve other than giving people a laugh at your expense?

Sorry man, but those signs are the lamest things out there.
    I didn't know that's means of trying to keep ur child safe was a laughing matter didn't get that memo I guess I can't join the cool group
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast