New member and a new ride!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New member and a new ride! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I'm pretty excited about my new 2011 WRX. I've been a fan of these cars for a long time ...

New member and a new ride!

Hello,

I'm pretty excited about my new 2011 WRX. I've been a fan of these cars for a long time and when 11's came out with the same body as the STI's I was sold.

So I traded in my 01' Z06 and my gas guzzling Ram 1500 on a base dark grey metallic hatch. It has a few goodies, Short throw shifter and bushing (that will be installed next week), auto dimmer mirror, and all weather mats.

We had 5" of snow this morning so I had an interesting 35 mile ride home from the dealer on summer tires Winter tires should be at my door Monday.

It dried out enough this afternoon to get out and put some miles on the clock but not near enough to satisfy my appetite. This thing just begs to be cornered hard and it's just so much fun!

Anyway, I look forward to taking in all the vast knowledge and advice you guys have to offer here. Oh I do have one question for now though. What do you guys typically do after your 1K break in? Do you still gradually build up to some WOT runs or just let it fly right after the intial break in?
    Last edited by Stlgrndskeeper; 02-05-2011 at 09:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum! Got any pics?
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Thanks! It's covered in winter road grime right now, and looks pretty sad. Hopefully the weather cooperates enough for me wash it tomorrow. Then I'll put up some pics.

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome to the forum.If you are parked indoors you could use ONR to clean the car at any time,you don't have to wait for better weather.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome fellow Illinoisian(?) lol Our cars are twins! I'm also having the same amount of fun in the snow up here with my summer tires. I'm going to hopefully just ride it out and order winter tires next season. :/

Quote Originally Posted by CapnKrunch View Post
    Welcome fellow Illinoisian(?) lol Our cars are twins! I'm also having the same amount of fun in the snow up here with my summer tires. I'm going to hopefully just ride it out and order winter tires next season. :/
    The only thing better than one dark grey metallic WRX is 2!!! Yeah man be carefull with those tires, it seemed like I needed an extra 100ft to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnKrunch View Post
    Not worth risking it.

Thanks! I have a ton of salt caked all over the car, so I'm concerned that without a good rinse at the start that I will just grind the salt around. I see you live up in NY so I know you have experience with ONR. Should I be worried about scratching my finish?

after break in.. run it like you want to run it. thats what break in is for.. once its done.. hammer that puppy to you hearts content

I did anyway lol. If you do a search you'll find dozens of threads with break in "opinions" .. I call them that because aside of what the factory tells you in the manual everyone with an ******* has another opinion of how it should be done. In the end its up to you, but all I can say is drive it and enjoy it. I have 39K mi on my 2010 now and still love every second of seat time. Welcome to the fold man.. its a good place to be!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Stlgrndskeeper View Post

We had 5" of snow this morning so I had an interesting 35 mile ride home from the dealer on summer tires Winter tires should be at my door Monday.
    Hmm I probably hijacked this thread, moving it to mine.
    Last edited by koppah; 02-06-2011 at 11:47 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks! I have a ton of salt caked all over the car, so I'm concerned that without a good rinse at the start that I will just grind the salt around. I see you live up in NY so I know you have experience with ONR. Should I be worried about scratching my finish?
    Use the two bucket method with grit guards Amazon.com: Grit Guard Insert: Automotive .Get 2 paint buckets from Home Depot.You will not damage the finish if you rinse your mitt often.Get a soft mitt(do not use a sponge).And wipe dry with spa towels(Costco has the cheapest).
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Thanks rage. That grit guard is pretty cool. I wish I had come up with that, then I could afford to have 4 or 5 WRX's! I normally wash with a micro fiber towel, but I'm not sure the grit guard will remove the grit from one, so I'll pick up a couple mitts. My old mitt has been on wheel cleaning duty for the last 3 or 4 years and is pretty trashed, so I could use them anyway. I found a 32oz bottle of ONR for 17.99 does sound about right?

Thanks again.

Thanks alot mango. That's kind of what I figured looking at the general consensus on the archives. Never hurts to ask though. I totally agree with you on post break in. I plan on letting her rip after the 1K oil change. I can't wait, I keep finding excuses to go for a drive to get that break in wrapped up!

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks rage. That grit guard is pretty cool. I wish I had come up with that, then I could afford to have 4 or 5 WRX's! I normally wash with a micro fiber towel, but I'm not sure the grit guard will remove the grit from one, so I'll pick up a couple mitts. My old mitt has been on wheel cleaning duty for the last 3 or 4 years and is pretty trashed, so I could use them anyway. I found a 32oz bottle of ONR for 17.99 does sound about right?

Thanks again.
    I got the 128oz from amazon.They cost about the same everywhere.Some sites have it cheaper but with shipping the price is about $22 for the 32oz.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Got any pics?
    Sorry, it took me a while to figure how to post the pic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.