Advise on HID Kits

This is a discussion on Advise on HID Kits within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, as mentioned in my previous post, I just bought a 2011 WRX Premium Sedan. The dealer mentioned getting HID ...

Advise on HID Kits

So, as mentioned in my previous post, I just bought a 2011 WRX Premium Sedan. The dealer mentioned getting HID kits, which would be nice. Just wondering what's around and common ones to get?

Advise appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Wow, that puts things in stark perspective.

So, if the only way to get HID kits in the car is to replace the entire headlamp, does this mean the only LEGAL way is to get them from Subaru? That is, if Subaru even makes HID kits for WRXs?

Thanks for the info!

Oh, I guess the question is, also: is it even worth trying to upgrade them?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by koppah
    So, if the only way to get HID kits in the car is to replace the entire headlamp, does this mean the only LEGAL way is to get them from Subaru? That is, if Subaru even makes HID kits for WRXs?
    The "Limited" trim come with HIDs. Call your local dealerships parts department and see what they cost. If you go this route, you could sell your headlamps to recoup some of the costs (someone may want to buy a second set for retrofitting or to save money after an accident). Personally, I wouldn't sell your stockers, as you'll make more money later selling the HID versions, but that's your call.

Oh, I guess the question is, also: is it even worth trying to upgrade them?
    Do you feel the OE headlights are inadequate? If so, before dropping the cash on HID headlamps, I'd contact Daniel about upgraded bulbs and try them first. Bulbs themselves can make a decent difference, and won't set you back like a set of new OE headlamps would.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Do you feel the OE headlights are inadequate? If so, before dropping the cash on HID headlamps, I'd contact Daniel about upgraded bulbs and try them first. Bulbs themselves can make a decent difference, and won't set you back like a set of new OE headlamps would.
    I guess I phrased my question incorrectly to begin with - I was also wondering if other people prefer having the HID headlights versus standard bulbs. I agree bulbs would be cheaper, but that article you linked me specifically mentions NOT installing Xenon bulbs into the existing headlamps, as the reflectors are not built for it - or do you mean something else?

Cheers!

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess I phrased my question incorrectly to begin with - I was also wondering if other people prefer having the HID headlights versus standard bulbs. I agree bulbs would be cheaper, but that article you linked me specifically mentions NOT installing Xenon bulbs into the existing headlamps, as the reflectors are not built for it - or do you mean something else?
    There are bulbs that are not "Xenon" that would be an upgrade. Shoot Dan an e-mail and see what he recommends. For Christmas, I bought and installed a set of Philips Xtreme Power bulbs for my sisters Altima on his recommendation, and they are great.

UNYSOC

Ok, thanks!