Newbie needs tuning advice - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

This is a discussion on Newbie needs tuning advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by rc_wizard24 1. How would I find out what turbo I have in my car? It says on ...

  1. #16
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,853
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rc_wizard24
    1. How would I find out what turbo I have in my car?
    It says on the compressor housing

    Quote Originally Posted by rc_wizard24
    2. I was looking at Perrin's up pipe and they show about 10 whp gains with their up pipe. Why do you say up pipes are pointless?
    They're not "pointless". While OE is catless, it's not the best design, which leaves room for aftermarket parts to gain some power/spool. However, many people feel that the PITA install doesn't justify the gains you'd see, and will recommend holding off unless you're replacing the turbo (while you're there, you may as well) or switching to EWG.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User rc_wizard24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    1.) I had to google it, but you have a TD04 turbo, not sure if it still has the issue I mentioned about boost surge though since it is a modified version to fit the new intercooler. COBB's stage 2 map notes state that if there is low enough pressure, you will get boost surging for the 08s. Not making a mountain out of a mole hill here... If you are going to use a CAT'd downpipe - you should be fine with any cat-back exhaust. If you go CATless, you will most likely run into issues that you can't tune out.

    EJ257 is right though - all else equal, in an ideal world, back pressure is the worst thing for turbo spool. In fact, that is what is currently holding your turbo back now, and why you would upgrade the exhaust. This is just a downside of the TD04.

    2.) I have no idea why Perrin would say their up-pipe will gain any horsepower for your car. Are you sure you were looking at the 08?

    3.) Only the state that you are registered in will perform inspection services. However, out here on the East coast, people on this web forum are saying they will get tickets in Connecticut and New Jersey for not having the stock mufflers - even though they aren't registered there.
    1) Thank you for finding that for me. I had difficulties. I planned on getting a Cat-ed down pipe just in case for what ever reason, but a high flow cat though.

    2)Yes I was looking at the 2008 version. Here is the link. Perrin Performance - Up Pipe

    3)Wow that's really gay

  4. #18
    Registered User rc_wizard24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Technically the turbo itself provides all of the exhaust back pressure you will need. But, a 2.5" exhaust will be just fine.
    Yeah I'm just gonna go with the 2.5" exhaust. It's still better than stock and not too big.

  5. #19
    Registered User rc_wizard24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It says on the compressor housing



    They're not "pointless". While OE is catless, it's not the best design, which leaves room for aftermarket parts to gain some power/spool. However, many people feel that the PITA install doesn't justify the gains you'd see, and will recommend holding off unless you're replacing the turbo (while you're there, you may as well) or switching to EWG.
    How long are people saying it takes to replace the up pipe?

  6. #20
    Registered User rc_wizard24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    1.) I had to google it, but you have a TD04 turbo, not sure if it still has the issue I mentioned about boost surge though since it is a modified version to fit the new intercooler. COBB's stage 2 map notes state that if there is low enough pressure, you will get boost surging for the 08s. Not making a mountain out of a mole hill here... If you are going to use a CAT'd downpipe - you should be fine with any cat-back exhaust. If you go CATless, you will most likely run into issues that you can't tune out.

    EJ257 is right though - all else equal, in an ideal world, back pressure is the worst thing for turbo spool. In fact, that is what is currently holding your turbo back now, and why you would upgrade the exhaust. This is just a downside of the TD04.
    Would a high quality BOV prevent turbo surge?

  7. #21
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,853
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rc_wizard24
    How long are people saying it takes to replace the up pipe?
    It varies. Older cars tend to take longer due to rust/corrosion. What's your mechanical experience level?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  8. #22
    Registered User rc_wizard24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It varies. Older cars tend to take longer due to rust/corrosion. What's your mechanical experience level?
    All the stuff I've done is like backyard stuff. I've got a really nice tool set and am pretty mechanically inclined. I'm pretty capable of figuring stuff out, but I will definitely find some sort of instructions or how to video. I've replaced alternators, belts, the crank pulley on this car, the full shifter and linkage on this car with the Subaru short throw shifter. I've also done extensive interior stereo work.

  9. #23
    Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    843
    I Support ClubWRX
    I upgraded my turbo in 3 hours on my 07 when it was 2 years old - and dumped the entire supply of coolant on the garage floor; this was avoidable - but I was lazy and didn't drain the coolant properly first. I had put the downpipe on a few months before, so I was comfortable with getting the intercooler and downpipe on/off. I assume doing the up-pipe would only cost another 1/2 hour at most. On the 07, the turbo removal was easy, getting the oil drain back into place at the same time as the turbo inlet lead to the creation of some new swear words that I had never known before! If yours is like mine, the inlet is cheap and tears.

    Google and search this site for the install - this site is amazing with the help they offer.

    PB Blaster took care of all the exhaust bolts so I had no trouble. Make sure to only use 6 point sockets.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

  10. #24
    Registered User rc_wizard24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I upgraded my turbo in 3 hours on my 07 when it was 2 years old - and dumped the entire supply of coolant on the garage floor; this was avoidable - but I was lazy and didn't drain the coolant properly first. I had put the downpipe on a few months before, so I was comfortable with getting the intercooler and downpipe on/off. I assume doing the up-pipe would only cost another 1/2 hour at most. On the 07, the turbo removal was easy, getting the oil drain back into place at the same time as the turbo inlet lead to the creation of some new swear words that I had never known before! If yours is like mine, the inlet is cheap and tears.

    Google and search this site for the install - this site is amazing with the help they offer.

    PB Blaster took care of all the exhaust bolts so I had no trouble. Make sure to only use 6 point sockets.
    Cool, I wish I had those kind of mechanical experiences as a kid. Mine didn't come till when I was about 16. I wouldn't think it would be too hard. I'll look up the video.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •