04 WRX where do i start!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04 WRX where do i start!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everybody i am new to this site so let me start by saying hello. I just reacently pick up ...

04 WRX where do i start!!!

Hey everybody i am new to this site so let me start by saying hello. I just reacently pick up a 2004 WRX with almost 200,000 miles on it So here is my question does this car have to many miles to start moding and if not where should i start with this WRX pushing 200,000? Thanks all help is apreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

catch up on all regular maintenance first and be picky... tune up/t-belt+w.p etc and good tires, check all the brakes and suspension+potentially upgrade to handle the extra power
    then do a compression and leakdown test to verify the internals as much as possile and make sure to change the oil at or before the recommended interval with good oil

with a high mileage engine theres never any guarantee it'll last but then again theres never any guarantee a low mileage engine will last i wouldnt go past stage 2 though
    and first mods should definitely be boost gauge and catless up pipe

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by mexicanzero View Post
    catch up on all regular maintenance first and be picky... tune up/t-belt+w.p etc and good tires, check all the brakes and suspension+potentially upgrade to handle the extra power
    then do a compression and leakdown test to verify the internals as much as possile and make sure to change the oil at or before the recommended interval with good oil

with a high mileage engine theres never any guarantee it'll last but then again theres never any guarantee a low mileage engine will last i wouldnt go past stage 2 though
    and first mods should definitely be boost gauge and catless up pipe

-Alex
    Agreed and welcome.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Thanks guys... yea i already did all the maintenance fluids and what not, and was also looking at up pipes and down pipes. is the boost gauge to see what my turbo is doing and to see if it's still strong?

the boost gauge tells you how much the turbo is pushing... anytime you start modding a turbocharged vehicle its crucial you know what the turbo is doing, over boosting can cause expensive bobo's

i like to get a boost gauge that also shows vacuum, vacuum can tell you a lot about your car

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

Throw in a short shifter with bushings and a boost controller as well
    Blobeye Syndicate #51

04 WRX WRB COBB Stage 2

shifter bushings are a good idea
    short shifter can be good but i like the stock shifter personally
    a better boost control solenoid is a good idea at stage 2 to give better response and run more boost (or a manual boost controller if you're into that kind of thing, i HATE ptfb) but should not be installed until the car is tuned professionally
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

Quote Originally Posted by smurfaru View Post
    Throw in a short shifter with bushings and a boost controller as well
    Boost controller would it be safe to turn up the boost on my wrx? it has 200,000.... My buddy has a apxi high power cat back system and a down pipe he wants to sell to me for 400 is that a good system and price? and also would that require any tunning? Thanks for all the help guys!!!

A tune is required for a turbo back exhaust and for "turning up boost". Apexi does make a pretty good unit though.

ok so im really new to this whole turbo thing.... what kind of tune are we talking about here? if i just put this exhaust on with out a tune would that hurt my car?

Quote Originally Posted by craighardy1313 View Post
    ok so im really new to this whole turbo thing.... what kind of tune are we talking about here? if i just put this exhaust on with out a tune would that hurt my car?
    So you have a couple options. You could get a Cobb accessport which has preset ecu maps that are designed for a certain set up of parts. In this case a turbo back exhaust. Or you can get an protune where a professional tuner does a custom remap of the ecu.

In any case it is necessary for the safety of your engine to get a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    So you have a couple options. You could get a Cobb accessport which has preset ecu maps that are designed for a certain set up of parts. In this case a turbo back exhaust. Or you can get an protune where a professional tuner does a custom remap of the ecu.

In any case it is necessary for the safety of your engine to get a tune.
    Alright with the cobb accessport are the maps pretty simple as far as... for this map you will have to have a up pipe down pipe and cat back? or stage 2 turbo, bov, header, and intake or are they more genral? what would you recomend??? custom or a cobb?

I'm convinced protune is the way to go. It is more specific to an individual application and can safely get more power than the generic Cobb map. But there is nothing inherently wrong with an accessport.

First things first, get a compression and leak down test. As others said, I wouldn't go past stage 2. Thats a lot of miles, even for a Subaru. If its on stock tranny I would be afraid to do anything. Not as bad as an early 02, still not a strong transmission though. Do a short shifter, bushing, sway bars, endlinks, TBE and a Cobb AP if you want to spend money. Otherwise leave the car how it is and enjoy it, easier said than done though lol.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    I'm convinced protune is the way to go. It is more specific to an individual application and can safely get more power than the generic Cobb map. But there is nothing inherently wrong with an accessport.
    I agree my buddy used the coob accessport and it tuned it stage 2 @212whp when he drove it it drove rough. He then went to a shop and got it protuned pushed 223whp and runs smoothly. I myself also prefer protune welcome to the club and have fun.
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast