just bought a 2011 WRX sedan
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on just bought a 2011 WRX sedan within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! just wanted to introduce myself. My husband and I just bought a new WRX. We previously owned a 2008 ...

just bought a 2011 WRX sedan

Hello! just wanted to introduce myself. My husband and I just bought a new WRX. We previously owned a 2008 STi, but had a lot of bad luck with it. We actually own a lot of cars, which is what brought us to buy a subaru. My husband owns a 1988 2.3 turbo mustang (my dad is a mechanic and helped us swap the motor from a Merkur Xr4ti), we traded off his 2001 mustang for our first "import" in 2009. It was a 2007 Civic Si. I own a 1993 Taurus SHO, 1994 Probe (with body kit, rims, etc, back when we were into all that), and we also own a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 2 Merkur Xr4ti's, and a lot of spare cars, which are kept at my parents house because they have more land to "hide" them all until we need them. we traded the 2007 civic Si in a year later for the 2008 STi. We had the STi for no more than 2 weeks and less than 1,000 miles put on it since we bought it and the ring lands went in it. before it broke, it would hesitate at 3,000 rmps, and I had it inspected. They said that other than the extremely dirty oil, it was fine. ofcourse they had all the maintanence records from the guy who had it before us (well only like a few records) showing that it had been wrecked and had over $8000 worth of damage done to it, and that the turbo had been replaced 1500 miles before we bought it. apparently that guy had only owned it for a year, pretty much destroyed it and traded it in. the air filter was soooo dirty. when we bought the new one, i took a picture to show the difference. well, after fighting with subaru of america and the dealership we bought it from, the dealership ended up replacing the motor for us. SOA denied fixing it due to us not having all documented oil changes, (it had 2 owners before us and had 27,500 miles on it). Therefore, their explanation is that we abused it in the 2 weeks that we owned it. anyway after the dealership fixed it, it had minor problems, missing bolts, a rattling noise that couldn't be found or fixed, etc. The last straw was when it started hesitating again around 3,000 rpms, and sounding horrible. So....we traded it in exactly a year after we bought it for the 2011 WRX. It only had 9 miles on it when we bought it and it now has 800 even. we haven't been driving it much because of the weather here in Kentucky. i know it would do great in the snow, but i didn't want to get it dirty just yet! Well exactly a month after we bought it, I had our second son, and haven't been able to drive it until this week. I love the car and hope that all the bad luck that we had with the STi is far behind us...and to whoever bought that car (it was gone a week after we traded it in), I'm sorry about the car...it really wasn't our fault...we bought it that way. anyway sorry this is so long, hopefully you made it to the end.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome, pretty crazy story... Buying used wrx/sti's can be very risky if not properly checked. Glad to see you stuck with subaru. I also had an 08 civic si... traded that in for my 11 Rex. I'm up in Northern KY.

Quote Originally Posted by SuBieReX11 View Post
    Welcome, pretty crazy story... Buying used wrx/sti's can be very risky if not properly checked. Glad to see you stuck with subaru. I also had an 08 civic si... traded that in for my 11 Rex. I'm up in Northern KY.
    yeah I had my suspicions when we got it, but i REALLY wanted it! I did like the civic Si, the gearing is completely different from any car I've driven. We are over here by Fort Knox. We got our car shipped here from Ohio because every dealership Louisville had sold the sedans even though they still had them listed on their websites. It took a WHOLE week to get it. I'm not a very patient person. I hated trading the STi off but the WRX is pretty comparable, just doesn't have the "extra" craziness. Its okay though, I enjoy just being the first owner and knowing that its taken care of.

I'm glad you got out of that STI. Sounds like it was a nightmare. I think you'll enjoy the WRX, so congrats!

P.S. Please learn to use the "Enter" key lol.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

That air filter!

Glad you got out of that nightmare and into a fresh new car! Post up a pic of the new WRX.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the Club!

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    I'm glad you got out of that STI. Sounds like it was a nightmare. I think you'll enjoy the WRX, so congrats!

P.S. Please learn to use the "Enter" key lol.
    Any car has the potential to be a nightmarish money pit.

Some can be a fun money pit. This would be my WRX.

And yes, the enter key works winders.

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    That air filter!
    Yep, I've seen worse though. I change them out once a year.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Worse than that? It looks like that thing was a squirrel's nest lol.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Worse than that?
    Yep. Several years ago I changed out a former co-workers filter. He had no idea he had one and was complaining of poor A/C performance.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Lol that's sad. I can't even like fathom taking that poor care of my car.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Lol that's sad. I can't even like fathom taking that poor care of my car.
    He was a complete car idiot.

... now back to the Welcome BoostNasty2001 to the Club thread already in progress ...
    Mods & Pics

k01
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostNasty2011 View Post
    2 Merkur Xr4ti's
    My father had a new one in the 80's. Fun car! And I won't admit to ever having owned a turbo T-Bird back then. lol!

Be careful if you do take the new WRX out in this weather on the stock summer tires. The tires are really bad in the cold, snow and especially on ice.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure if the 08 STI ever "ran right" based on your story - but I would be curious to hear how you feel about going from the STI to a WRX. I bought my '11 STI without having driven the '11 WRX, so I don't know what the "feel" difference is...
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

The truth is we should have known to look out for stuff, like the air filter, where we live. Living near Fort Knox means young kids buying up fast cars, ragging them out, getting deployed and trading them in destroyed.

As far as the difference between the Sti and the WRX, the Sti feels faster and should be. We were running "Stage 1" with the Cobb tuner on the Sti, though. The WRX really just feels tamer and easier to drive. It also really mattered what setting in "SI" drive you were in. Intelligent is quite a bit slower feeling than the WRX. Sport feels the same as the WRX and Sport # just lets it go nuts!

Enter remembered!

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    To be fair... the new engine bay (08+) makes checking the air filter a PIA, not sure I would have done it either. It was much easier on my 07.

I find "S#" to be much more responsive than my WRX ever was - even after the VF39 upgrade. I do agree "Intelligent" is just awful - and I seem to get worse gas mileage when using that, so I just keep it in "S" until I want to pull hard.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

What's the PITA for checking the air filter? You unscrew 2 things on the air funnel/scoop, then snap back 2 clasps to open the airbox. That is pretty much the easiest thing to check on the car besides the oil level IMO.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.