new sound

This is a discussion on new sound within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sup fellas. Haven't logged in here in a long time. I was just wondering whats a good deck and speaker ...

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States

new sound

Sup fellas. Haven't logged in here in a long time. I was just wondering whats a good deck and speaker setup for a decent price. I've had my 07 wrx for almost 3 years and the stock speakers arent doin it for me anymore. Definitely don't want a sub in my trunk cause I'm not into huge amounts of bass. Any ideas? Thanks.
    I was born to crush you. Welcome to this violent dream.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What's your budget?

For the H/U, are you looking for a single-/double-DIN? If double, are you interested in navigation?

Speakers: 6.5" components front (separate amplifier), stock rears (powered off H/U)

Subwoofer: don't rule this out. You don't need a lot of sub, but separating will improve the sound quality. I'm not a big bass-head, but it was well worth what I spent to include the sub in my system.

Sound deadening: any plans on this?

Your best bet would be to burn a mix CD with some favorite songs and hit up local car audio shops (I'm not talking about Best Buy or anything like that). What sounds great to me (speakers) may not sound good to you. Choose a H/U that's intuitive to you.

I recently installed the following:
    Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD
    Alpine SPX-17REF Components
    Alphasonik PMZ12005A Amplifier
    JL Audio 10W3v3 Subwoofer / Custom enclosure

I spaced out the purchases over a period of a few months so it wasn't a huge shock to my bank account. In total, I spent ~$1000. In no way is my system top-of-the-line, but the parts work quite well together. I'm still in the process of tuning, but it's too cold to be screwing around with settings much; come spring/summer, I'll be able to finish.
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-31-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Damn bro thanks but I'm lookin a little cheaper maybe 300 400 total. I use my car for work a lot so my trunk needs the space so I might not do the sub thing till I find a used truck for work n such. All I need is good speakers and a deck. I'm more focused on paying off my loan for the car till I really start putting more money into it. I'll see.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyDznuts86
    Damn bro thanks but I'm lookin a little cheaper maybe 300 400 total. I use my car for work a lot so my trunk needs the space so I might not do the sub thing till I find a used truck for work n such. All I need is good speakers and a deck. I'm more focused on paying off my loan for the car till I really start putting more money into it. I'll see.
    Go with a simple H/U upgrade, then. The aftermarket unit will provide more power to the speakers, making them a bit more efficient.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Go with a simple H/U upgrade, then. The aftermarket unit will provide more power to the speakers, making them a bit more efficient.
    +1. H/Us are the weakest link in virtually all car audio, certainly in Subarus.

Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, and Eclipse H/Us are my preference...in that order. They all have good cost-effective options that add more and different features as you get more expensive.

Don't be afraid to look for decent door speakers either...Focus on the fronts. You can pick up good entry level Pioneers or Kenwoods or something along that line for $75-100 that should get good enough power from just the head unit to make them better than the stockers. Even look on ebay or for something used.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    Don't be afraid to look for decent door speakers either...Focus on the fronts. You can pick up good entry level Pioneers or Kenwoods or something along that line for $75-100 that should get good enough power from just the head unit to make them better than the stockers. Even look on ebay or for something used.
    I still say that components are the only way to go in the front. Even if you have to wait an extra few months to get a set, it's worth "doing once, doing right".

UNYSOC

yeah Ill look into a deck and some good speakers..should i get an amp to help or no?? thanks for all the help fellas Im definitely not good with this stuff.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyDznuts86
    yeah Ill look into a deck and some good speakers..should i get an amp to help or no?? thanks for all the help fellas Im definitely not good with this stuff.
    Speaker specs will list a power level; the one you want to be concerned with is the RMS rating. If your H/U doesn't output enough, you'll want to buy an amplifier. Most components worth buying should be powered via an amplifier.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Speaker specs will list a power level; the one you want to be concerned with is the RMS rating. If your H/U doesn't output enough, you'll want to buy an amplifier. Most components worth buying should be powered via an amplifier.
    Most HUs won't put out near enough RMS to a quality aftermarket driver. HUs will usually say 50x4 watts or something that, but its usually specified as their Max output. For the clearest and greatest sound, amping up component speakers is the best idea.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying