help! which car?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on help! which car? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i am currently thinking about selling my 2010 Mazda and buying a brand new 2011 WRX or STI i have ...

Smile help! which car?

i am currently thinking about selling my 2010 Mazda and buying a brand new 2011 WRX or STI i have a few questions as to where my money would be best spent:
    buying a brand new STI with the lowest amount of trim or pretty much a fully loaded WRX?
    i feel that if i buy the wrx ill wish i had the sti

the main reason im leaning for the wrx is mainly price id like to be able to keep my monthly payments reasonable considering im still finishing up my education.
    any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoscoob View Post

That statement pretty much sums it up.

Have you driven them yet?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoscoob
    the main reason im leaning for the wrx is mainly price id like to be able to keep my monthly payments reasonable considering im still finishing up my education.
    Doubt it's what you're hoping for in terms of advice, but...

If you're still in school, hold off on buying a new car. If you've got the extra cash to blow on a new car, put that towards reducing the amount of student loans you'll have when you graduate instead. If you need to buy a car, look for an inexpensive (initial, maintenance, and insurance costs) used car to tide you over.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

If you're still in school, hold off on buying a new car. If you've got the extra cash to blow on a new car, put that towards reducing the amount of student loans you'll have when you graduate instead. If you need to buy a car, look for an inexpensive (initial, maintenance, and insurance costs) used car to tide you over.

^ good advise

Definitely a +1.

If you already have a 2010 Mazda, I think you should just keep that. It would seem that you recently already got a new car. If you're not stuggling with the payments, ect then keep the Mazda. If you are struggling and want to get out of it, I doubt a WRX is the answer to the problem, especially an STi.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX

This.

If you're still in school, I'm assuming you're young enough that the insurance premiums on a wrx would blow whatever Mazda you have out of the water, and monthly payments will undoubtedly be higher with a subie as well. Pay off your school bills first, then wait and save up. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I saved for a long time, then bought my wrx with cash. The wait was agonizing, but the car is 100% mine, and I don't keep paying for a depreciating asset.

/soapbox

Sent using Tapatalk
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

To answer the core essence of your question, which is "better" a fully loaded premium WRX or a base/stripped STi:

STi is better if you intend to do any kind of recreational motorsports. The car will be more oriented towards performance driving and will be highly competitive if you can master the basics of AWD.

Premium WRX is better if you want a really nice car with good appointments (good, not great) that will be easy and cheap to maintain yourself whilst also enjoying some of the modern luxuries of a "middle of the road" sedan.

What kind of Mazda do you have?

Keep your 2010 Mazda until you complete your education, get a job, then reevaluate your priorities.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 01-31-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    The wait was agonizing, but the car is 100% mine, and I don't keep paying for a depreciating asset.
    Not sure why people are so scared of debt if you handle it correctly. I got a job right out of college and bought a new '08 WRX with nothing down. For an extra $1000 over 5 years (which is pretty much the equivalent of 2 months of car payments) I didn't have to spend those 5 years saving up to buy one outright. Depreciation doesn't magically stop if you buy a car in cash.

Quote Originally Posted by TrozPSU View Post
    Not sure why people are so scared of debt if you handle it correctly. I got a job right out of college and bought a new '08 WRX with nothing down. For an extra $1000 over 5 years (which is pretty much the equivalent of 2 months of car payments) I didn't have to spend those 5 years saving up to buy one outright. Depreciation doesn't magically stop if you buy a car in cash.
    99% of people don't have a clue how to effectively handle debt, especially while still in college.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    99% of people don't have a clue how to effectively handle debt, especially while still in college.
    Exactly.

Troz, think about it this way: The average car payment in the US is $464 over 64 months. Most people I know have them the majority of their lives. Instead of giving that money to the dealer, or whoever you financed through, what if you invested it? If you took that cash every month from age 25 to 65 and invested in an average mutual fund averaging 12% (seventy-five year stock market avg), you'd have $5,458,854.45. That's a LOT of STIs, and maybe a couple Veyrons thrown in... just saying...

This is where my "car payment" money goes, and now that money is multiplying itself, not fading away.

To directly answer your question, though, I'd recommend taking both cars for a test drive and seeing what you think. From the sounds of things, it sounds like you wanted an STi from the get go, so I'm not going to convince you otherwise.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

Very true.. I have about $9000 in CC debt that I've been floating for years now on 0% interest. My problem is that I never seem to have quite enough money to cover my expenses, so it goes up about $15/month. Plus every 12 months I have to transfer it around with a 3% fee. So floating the debt costs me about $270/year. It's hard to do anything but manage it without having excess money to put towards it each month.

On the plus side, I'm 27 and have a very good credit rating.. especially for someone who doesn't own a home or make car payments.

you tallkin' to me?

i am currently thinking about selling my 2010 Mazda and buying a brand new 2011 WRX or STI i have a few questions as to where my money would be best spent:
    buying a brand new STI with the lowest amount of trim or pretty much a fully loaded WRX?

any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I think it all depends on what you need. For me, I'm in between an Evo X with some miles on them and an 09 WRX almost new. I don't need that power of the EVO although its really addicting, but insurance, maintenance are the things that hold me back and I dont race or go on a track.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.