2011 WRX Headlight Question

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Headlight Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all. I'm still considering a 2011 WRX and I had talked myself all the way up to Limited/STi Base ...

Lightbulb 2011 WRX Headlight Question

Hey all.

I'm still considering a 2011 WRX and I had talked myself all the way up to Limited/STi Base territory because I like having HIDs. My car has them now and I have grown very accustomed to them. However, I am not a fan of fog lamps, leather seats (in Vegas), or sunroofs, so it looks like the base model WRX would suit me best.

My question is in regards to retrofitting headlights though. Wiring issues aside, is there anything physically different from the 08+ STi headlights that might prevent retrofitting? Periodically I see 08+ STi headlights on Ebay so I'm just trying to pre-plan for how I might go about installing them if I get the car.

Thanks.
    -j
    2009 MINI John Cooper Works
    Flickr

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, HID housings are designed differently than halogen. You cannot safely install an HID system into a base WRX headlight

jd I think he's talkin about swapping the entire headlight assembly for the factory hid units in the sti.

If thats the case, yes they bolt right in.. but as you added there are some pretty important wiring changes that need to happen to make the whole package work.

there are also hid projector retrofits available for the standard wrx headlight.. but those will require taking the housing apart and literally swapping out the optics. Much more involved than bolting in the STI lights.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    You could try the lightwerkz option Subaru Products & Services | LightWerkz.net
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I was looking into doing this myself, but found the cost to be too much.

Instead I bought some Osram Night Breaker bulbs, and can honestly say I think I rather have them instead.

Thanks for all the comments. To clarify, mangostick is right in that I am considering completely replacing the whole housings. I am not scared of the wiring (got some background in that), and I'm not usually a big fan of aftermarket kits. I certainly wouldn't rule them out though.

I've taken headlights apart before and I just never got them sealed properly, so I ended up with fogging inside the lenses. I'm just hoping to avoid that but I suppose when the time comes I'll weigh all the options.
    Flickr

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are really brave maybe you coUld do a DIY YouTube - (1) How to build HID projector headlights
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. To clarify, mangostick is right in that I am considering completely replacing the whole housings. I am not scared of the wiring (got some background in that), and I'm not usually a big fan of aftermarket kits. I certainly wouldn't rule them out though.

I've taken headlights apart before and I just never got them sealed properly, so I ended up with fogging inside the lenses. I'm just hoping to avoid that but I suppose when the time comes I'll weigh all the options.
    My mistake, I misunderstood the question, as mangostick said, they are a direct bolt in but would need rewiring

someone recently had a link to the supplier that lightwerx uses.. and they had a micro projector solution for our headlights that bolts into the mount for our factory halogen projector. This supposedly fixes any alignment issues with other projectors.

Personally I'm just going to go with the H9 swap in the low beams and see how that works out. If I like it I'll leave it.. if not I'll consider working out the retrofit.

Now, as for fogging.. my factory standard lights will fog on the inside during cooler times of the year. Winter/summer no issues.. spring/fall they like to fog up a slight bit. Its odd.. but I was told its normal so I've just left it alone. It only happens during times of year with pretty drastic humidity/temp changes.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    someone recently had a link to the supplier that lightwerx uses.. and they had a micro projector solution for our headlights that bolts into the mount for our factory halogen projector. This supposedly fixes any alignment issues with other projectors.
    I think this is the thread you are talking about.Had that bookmarked Finally an HID solution
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

please can someone explain to me how to hook up my monster tacho and shift light, i don't know how to do it, it's a 97 model WRX....please help me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I think this is the thread you are talking about.Had that bookmarked Finally an HID solution
    yep, thats it.. thanks man! I have it bookmarked too but I'm on the work laptop.. no bookmarks on this one.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by moustakis88 View Post
    please can someone explain to me how to hook up my monster tacho and shift light, i don't know how to do it, it's a 97 model WRX....please help me!!!
    ? hmm.. we didn't get that model here in the states mate.. But, what I would do if I were in your shoes would be to track down wiring diagrams for your car and have a good look at them. Find out where you can pick up the Tach reference signal that feeds the factory cluster and where you can tap into power/ground.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    yeah I've been doing all sorts of research (I don't even have the car yet!) and I went through that thread a while back. Thanks though, I'll bookmark it since it'll undoubtedly prove to be useful later.
    Flickr