New to site...What was I thinking???

This is a discussion on New to site...What was I thinking??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey there, I'm obviously new here. Here's my backstory. I was a DSMer about 10 years ago, then got sick ...

New to site...What was I thinking???

Hey there, I'm obviously new here. Here's my backstory. I was a DSMer about 10 years ago, then got sick of all the electronics and got back into the older stuff...then I got sick of the varying degrees of reliability that the older stuff brings and also live in a climate where it just isn't feasible to have a 50 year old daily driver. This past spring I got the idea that I'd get something new, fun, and reliable. I was tossed up between the Mazdaspeed3 and the GTI. I had ruled out the WRX for a couple of reasons. For starters, in my mind, the MSRP put it in a higher class- or at least the high end of the same class (and have since found that not necessarily to be the case). I also wasn't crazy about the latest body style for the hatchback- the sedan is great looking but I'd want the utility of the hatch. And third, although it will sound really dumb, I don't like having a timing belt (as opposed to a chain). In my mind, chains are maintenance free (for the most part- I've had them last over 160,000 miles on two vehicles) and belts are expensive to replace every 5 or 7 years.
    Well, I went with the MS3 and it hasn't been a love affair. It is the worst shifting car I've ever driven, (and bear in mind I used to drive 50-year old column shifted vehicles). The entire community complains about the shifting of the cars. I didn't notice it for awhile because I took it really easy during the break-in period. None of that really matters...What matters is that I've tried this, that, the other thing three times and it still isn't much better. I have 5,000 miles on the car and I spend more time stressing out about my first brand new car than any vehicle I've ever owned. I started reading more and more about the 2009+ WRXs and have been kicking myself.
    So, long story a little longer, I'm thinking about trading the MS3 for a WRX and plan to do some research here to find if it's what I'm really looking for. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welocme! And you've come to the right place. A wealthof information and great people more than willing to help. Good luck on your search and research!