2011 WRX queries?????

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX queries????? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Stock standard 2011 5 door. I would like advice on what to change please? I fancy 18's, any advice? What ...

2011 WRX queries?????

Stock standard 2011 5 door. I would like advice on what to change please?
    I fancy 18's, any advice?

What would you do to the car for speed and handling? Not too much please, I'm not a heavy duty modder?

I read about downpipe, is it THE mod to do?

Intakes have shown 17bhp, is that correct?

Do I need ecu changes for tuning so I don't get check lights?

Perrin quad outlet muffler, axle back, anyone got one?

Perrin short shifter, very different design to others, anyone tried it?

Perrin sport suspension combo 'soft', anyone tried it?

Any help appreciated.
    Paul.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Skip the DP and just go for an engine tune. The 2011's respond to a tune better than any previous models due to a lower restriction cat. Unlike earlier models, an intake (AEM) does more than previously seen. And I'm not a fan of intakes for the possible issues they can cause, but the late model cars do very well with them. I'd go for the intake and tune to start if it were me. Just go with AEM and don't do an oiled filter of any kind.

The key thing is, what is your budget?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedynz View Post
    Stock standard 2011 5 door. I would like advice on what to change please?
    I fancy 18's, any advice?
    Find 18s that weigh less than your current wheel
    What would you do to the car for speed and handling? Not too much please, I'm not a heavy duty modder?
    Hi flow cat downpipe and a tune after your warranty is up.

I read about downpipe, is it THE mod to do?
    Only if you want to rid yourself of an engine/drivetrain warranty. After the warranty is up, yes.
    Intakes have shown 17bhp, is that correct?
    No

Do I need ecu changes for tuning so I don't get check lights?
    If you get a downpipe or an intake yes

Perrin quad outlet muffler, axle back, anyone got one?
    Talk to the service manager at your dealership first, my local service manager would deny any engine or drivetrain claim for an aftermarket catback.
    Perrin short shifter, very different design to others, anyone tried it?
    ? Dont know
    Perrin sport suspension combo 'soft', anyone tried it?
    Sorry no idea
    Any help appreciated.
    Paul.
    Replies in blue
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

1. I agree about lightweight 18's. But how much do originals weigh? I can't find info.
    2. So an intake install can bring up engine lights?
    3. Budget for wheels/tyres, muffler and suspension etc is $5k - wheels $1k, tyres $1k, suspension $1k, axle back Perrin $600, tune/intake $1k and short shift + misc $500ish.
    4. I can do all or none of the above but if certain parts are very effective I'd like them. 17's look small on this new widebody model so 18's would be good. Short shift sounds effective, Perrin muffler on youtube is awesome looking and sounding and close to 300bhp/300lbft would be nice to wake up to.

Noodles Aren't My Concern twistedphrame's Avatar
    I split my time btwn Atlantic and Warren County NJ
    I Support ClubWRX
    Intakes can change make you burn a little rich so a tune will (should) fix that.

1. I agree about lightweight 18's. But how much do originals weigh? I can't find info.
    2. So an intake install can bring up engine lights?
    3. Budget for wheels/tyres, muffler and suspension etc is $5k - wheels $1k, tyres $1k, suspension $1k, axle back Perrin $600, tune/intake $1k and short shift + misc $500ish.
    4. I can do all or none of the above but if certain parts are very effective I'd like them. 17's look small on this new widebody model so 18's would be good. Short shift sounds effective, Perrin muffler on youtube is awesome looking and sounding and close to 300bhp/300lbft would be nice to wake up to.
    You can do ALOT with your car for $5k. Depending on how concerned you are with warranty, I would do a turbo back exhaust, tune, sway bars and links, short shifter and bushings (I'm very satisfied with the Kartboy shifter and bushings myself, something to think about), and if you're set on wheels and tires, as long as they're lighter, as others have said, that's a pretty complete list. I think you'd have a very satisfying car to drive. You'd be well over 300wtq, but probably be a little short of you HP number.

"You can do ALOT with your car for $5k. Depending on how concerned you are with warranty, I would do a turbo back exhaust, tune, sway bars and links, short shifter and bushings (I'm very satisfied with the Kartboy shifter and bushings myself, something to think about), and if you're set on wheels and tires, as long as they're lighter, as others have said, that's a pretty complete list. I think you'd have a very satisfying car to drive. You'd be well over 300wtq, but probably be a little short of you HP number."
    Thanks.
    I'd rather keep my warranty intact for now and I know my dealer will no warranty issues with intake and exhaust.

When I say 300hp/300lbft I mean at the crank so only I need to gain 35hp + 50(ish) lbft torque. I won't tune yet.

What numbers could an intake and exhaust give?

I heard Kartboy shifter was good but Perrin's is incredibly simple, comes with bushes and is about $70 total.

Does ANYONE know how much the standard WRX 17's weigh?

And just swaybars? No need for other suspension mods?

Thanks.
    I'd rather keep my warranty intact for now and I know my dealer will no warranty issues with intake and exhaust.

When I say 300hp/300lbft I mean at the crank so only I need to gain 35hp + 50(ish) lbft torque. I won't tune yet.

What numbers could an intake and exhaust give?

I heard Kartboy shifter was good but Perrin's is incredibly simple, comes with bushes and is about $70 total.

Does ANYONE know how much the standard WRX 17's weigh?

And just swaybars? No need for other suspension mods?
    If you look at COBB's website, just a stage 1 ots tune will give you those crank HP/TQ numbers. You need to tune to add an intake or turbo back exhaust (cat-back does not require a tune but you will see no power gains) Their numbers with an AEM intake, turbo back exhaust, and tune get you somewhere in the neighborhood 262WHP and 316WTQ. A custom tune would yield even larger numbers. As far as the shifter goes, never looked at Perrins, but the shifter is the easy part, took me 15 mins to install. The bushings are what take a little time, but even that was only 30 mins. In my opinion, the stock springs and struts are plenty good, but the sways are lacking
    Last edited by jd92677; 01-21-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Thanks JD.

With time to calm down I've decided on:

Perrin axle back exhaust so no tune required or problems with grumpy dealers.
    Shortshift
    Rear sway

Anyone got feedback on rear sway size and settings?
    Last edited by speedynz; 01-21-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks.
    If you do the intake and exhaust, that'll need a tune. Any dealer will have an issue with that if something breaks because of the mods.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading