2011 WRX needs Synthetic oil
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX needs Synthetic oil within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, just thought i would post this and nothing came up with the search - just had my 1st oil ...

2011 WRX needs Synthetic oil

Hey, just thought i would post this and nothing came up with the search - just had my 1st oil change and the 2011 wrx's (and i would assume STI as well) must have synthetic oil. Keep this in mind if you are a DIY'er or go somewhere other than a Subaru Dealer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ya, it's been posted in the oil thread. I called the dealer I got mine from just to verify it after reading about it.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

they still set the change interval at 3k......seems strange as usually synthetic goes for 5 or 10k?

its funny. subaru finally bit the bullet and changed the requirements. my booklet for MY2010 says nothing about synthetic being required. that didnt stop me from using synthetic b/c i had a feeling they were going to change that sometime down the road, but maybe subaru should send something out to all owners.

wat did that synth oil change at the dealer set you back? over $100?
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Yeah, my book says nothing about synthetic, but i remember reading somewhere online that dealers in CA were mentioning it to owners who came in, but no one could tell for sure according to the online resrouces - then that site by Joe Spitz mentioned it as an update to the owners manual. I also remember reading something about it no longer being mandatory to change the oil in turbo's every 3750 - that was not an official statement so i wouldn't assume its from a reliable source. Too bad i cant remember where i read that! Cost me 70 bucks from the stealership for the synthetic oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by suby04 View Post
    they still set the change interval at 3k......seems strange as usually synthetic goes for 5 or 10k?
    They actually changed it to 7500 but I would never do that.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html

Engine Oil/filter *1, all turbo models Turbo maintenance
    Forester XT, Impreza WRX, STI; Legacy GT
    new for 2011, requires Synthetic 5w-30
    Updated October 2010
    1st oil change at 7500 miles or 7.5 months, and every 7500 miles or 7.5 months under normal driving.
    Note: this is the minimum required. It is generally suggested to change the oil every 3750 miles or 3.75 mos, and Under race or other hard, severe driving, replace even more frequently

My manual says 3750 so I am sticking with that. I change the oil myself so it only cost me $30-40 so it's not a big deal. I'd rather be safe than sorry for warranty.
    Last edited by Eric05mx; 01-17-2011 at 03:37 PM.

the costco closest my my house sells mobil 1 synth 5-W30, 6 quarts for $35. tough to bet that for DIY.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Heck, it cost me $91 for my synthetic oil change in a 09.

The first and last time I pay for that.

When you all bought your cars did Subaru offer you a maintenance security plan. I bought it for my ride, covers all oil changes and tune-ups up to 60,000 miles all at no charge. At $90+ an oil change i'm starting to feel better about this, plus I really don't like changing oil, done it far too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Grains View Post
    When you all bought your cars did Subaru offer you a maintenance security plan. I bought it for my ride, covers all oil changes and tune-ups up to 60,000 miles all at no charge. At $90+ an oil change i'm starting to feel better about this, plus I really don't like changing oil, done it far too many times.

Wouldn't help me, I bought the car 2 hours away. What did that cost you?

They asked $1100 and I got them down to $900. I think it should pay for it self, hoping at least.

They asked $1100 and I got them down to $900. I think it should pay for it self, hoping at least.
    I highly doubt it covers much more than oil/filter change and basic stuff like fluid checks, etc...

60,000 miles, oil/filter change every 3,750 = 16. Average price for 5 quarts of synthetic and filter at $35 = $560.

Yeah i got my car from a dealer 2 hours away too so that kinda plan wouldn't have worked, not that i was offered one! Good idea about costco - i should check that out.

Eric05mx - Your are probably right, but I believe this covers everything including labor. I'll have to pull out my paper work and check it out. I'm sure they made some money off me but all's paid for

I Support ClubWRX
    I bought the same security plan,my offer was 7 years/70,000 miles zero deductible,but it does NOT cover regular service/oil changes,fluid changes.I highly doubt that yours covers oil changes.What it does cover is all wear & tear(even the clutch),including parts,rental reimbursement,towing,roadside assistance
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast