2011 WRX needs Synthetic oil - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX needs Synthetic oil within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; One thing to remember is to first put oil into the oil filter. Just pour a little in and once ...

One thing to remember is to first put oil into the oil filter. Just pour a little in and once it gets to the top, stop and let it settle. do this three times. This was taught to me by a big car buff who held the land speed record set on the salt flats of utah in a bmw that looked like a rocket (Steven Pieper). he also raced nascar for a time, then a cushy job w/ bmw test driving cars on tracks. I don't remember exactly the reason, but has something to do when you first fire up the engine after you change the oil. They dont' always do this at garage's but my buddy who worked for VW also said he knew of this and did this as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    I have a hard time moving away from my 5k km (3125 mile) oil change interval; I could likely stretch it another 1, 2, 3 k km safely, but I'm willing to "waste" my money. A 15 or 20k MILE interval would keep me up at night.

More and more car makers are saying, my bad, we were just looking to make money, you actually only have to change your oil when there's a solar eclipse.

FWIW, not running synthetic oil in a new, turbo charged car, is criminal IMO.
    The truth is, most people that drive high dollar cars like BMW's lease them or trade them in before the warranty is up anyway. So, if the manufacturer sets the oil change interval at 15k miles and stands behind it for warranty they have nothing to worry about.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    I have a hard time moving away from my 5k km (3125 mile) oil change interval; I could likely stretch it another 1, 2, 3 k km safely, but I'm willing to "waste" my money. A 15 or 20k MILE interval would keep me up at night.

More and more car makers are saying, my bad, we were just looking to make money, you actually only have to change your oil when there's a solar eclipse.

FWIW, not running synthetic oil in a new, turbo charged car, is criminal IMO.
    Sorry, but you're just throwing away money then. 3k mile change intervals with synthetic is not required by any means unless the car is tracked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesmo View Post
    One thing to remember is to first put oil into the oil filter. Just pour a little in and once it gets to the top, stop and let it settle. do this three times. This was taught to me by a big car buff who held the land speed record set on the salt flats of utah in a bmw that looked like a rocket (Steven Pieper). he also raced nascar for a time, then a cushy job w/ bmw test driving cars on tracks. I don't remember exactly the reason, but has something to do when you first fire up the engine after you change the oil. They dont' always do this at garage's but my buddy who worked for VW also said he knew of this and did this as well.
    Sorry, but I don't see the point. Idling the car for 10 seconds will get all that oil there. It pulls oil from the pan first and doesn't make it to the filter until a bit after starting. And there's still oil in the engine lubricating things even after a change and the first start. Maybe this could improve that initial lubrication by .00001%, but who cares at that point?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

The proper way not to starve the turbo from lubrication after an oil change is to hold the gas and the clutch down at the same time and crank the car for about 10 seconds. The car will not start but will get oil to everywhere it needs to be. Try it, it works.
    2007 Civic Si

I can't believe half the comments I see on here. 7000k miles with synthetic i perfectly fine. I took my 2011 WRX to the dealer and they only used regular oil. I wasn't happy about this and won't go back there (McLaughlin Subaru Moline, IL). Obviously that doesn't make any sense if the recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles. I called and they said they don't do what is recommended. What a joke. At 70+ bucks for an oil change and occasional deals for 5qts of free synthetic, I'd much rather invest in the 100-200 bucks (one time) to change my oil to know it's done correctly.

On another note. If you check oil level occasionally, and you pay attention to your gas mileage, you will know if there is an issue.

I just changed my oil, took about 45 minutes, taking my time. Put up on ramps, took out the 3 bolts, and 2 plugs, removed the pan. Then removed the drain plug, damn it flows quick, almost overran my pan. Replaced the plug, and then removed the oil filter, didn't get oil on much other than my arm. Replaced the filter, tightened with a filter wrench (damn this filter is small, Audi A4 had one 3 times this size, with a 2.0 engine). I only removed 4 quarts, and put back 4.5, and that ended up between F and L on the dipstick, so I'll check it after a 20 miles and see how she sits.

Pretty simple process, but wish they would have left a door for the filter like they did for the plug, what's the point of the plug gap and not the filter gap..... I know, so the dealer can drain the oil and then just put it back in when they are doing something other than changing oil. I've heard of this with motorcycle dealers, and wouldn't be surprised with car dealers doing the same if not worse.

DIY, much more rewarding and done so much better.

Hey does anyone notice a difference in preformance after switching? After using regular oil my dealer asked if i wanted to switch to synthetic which i thought it already was. So i said yes. I notice my car has more pull and when it his 3000 or turbo it sounds noticeably louder and if i disengage the gas before hitting 4000 i can hear a pssss sound sounda like a BOV which i do not have. Just curious if thats normal or did someone mess up?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123