2011 WRX needs Synthetic oil - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX needs Synthetic oil within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'll check it out, got to go pull the file. I know I bought the extended warranty and another a ...

I'll check it out, got to go pull the file. I know I bought the extended warranty and another a maintenance plan, it's just to much to remember off the top of my head.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The oil change interval on the new 911 is now listed at 20,000 miles. It used to be 15,000. That gives you a good idea how long synthetic can really last.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Ok got the paper work out, this plan I bought covers oil changes, replacement oil, and all fluids. Spark plugs, engine coolant, fuel filter, air cleaner element, differential lubricants, brake fluid, and inspections of all suspension, steering, brakes, brake lines, clutch, front and rear axle boots, and shaft joints. It also gives me roadside assistance 7 days a week 24 hours a day. Not sure if it's worth it but I have it.

How much did that cost you?
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did this cost you? at 70.00 an oil change, i am curious what the cost/benefit would be. Im seriously considering changing the oil myself, its the location where i can do this that i have to figure out! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    its funny. subaru finally bit the bullet and changed the requirements. my booklet for MY2010 says nothing about synthetic being required. that didnt stop me from using synthetic b/c i had a feeling they were going to change that sometime down the road, but maybe subaru should send something out to all owners.

wat did that synth oil change at the dealer set you back? over $100?
    I'm getting my changed today at Mann-Engineering in Santa Clara in about an hour. They quoted me $70.

Quote Originally Posted by bposeley View Post
    I'm getting my changed today at Mann-Engineering in Santa Clara in about an hour. They quoted me $70.
    DIY!!! you will save $$$ in the end, and you get a pretty great feeling after you do it, like you accomplished something. you may have to put some $$$ upfront for the tools if you dont have any, and you will definetly need drive-up ramps to lift up the frnt on the car (that is if you dont have jacks), but in the end, its cheaper and its fun.

next time i change my oil, im going to take some photos and write up a DIY guide for all of the 08+ owners. when i changed my oil the first time, i went into it kinda blind b/c i couldnt find any DIY guides. it can be done with MINIMAL mechanical knowledge. i guess since i have done it 3 times now i think its easy, and some may say a DIY guide is not necessary for something as simple as changing the oil, but man, the first time on an almost $30k car is pretty nerve-racking.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

A guide would be nice. I am ready to do mine the first time and couldn't find one. I suspect the plastic guard needs to come off. I just need to find the correct tools and all the fasteners.

Yes, take off the plastic skid plate. Other than that, it's pretty simple. Reaching the oil filter is probably the toughest part.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Chader View Post
    A guide would be nice. I am ready to do mine the first time and couldn't find one. I suspect the plastic guard needs to come off. I just need to find the correct tools and all the fasteners.
    i dont have to change my oil again for a few thousand miles, so cant do the guide until then...

all you need for the undercover is a socket wrench for the 4 bolts that hold it in (part #3). there are 2 large fasteners (clips) along the rear of the undercover (part #4) that are pretty sturdy, you dont have to be super carefull with these, but make sure you notice their orientation and which side is up/down so you can put them back. the 2 small clips that go into the fender apron (part #2, one left and right) are total beeotches to get out. they are small, and tough to see, and i broke one the first time i took it off. use a small flathead screwdriver, and slowly and gently pop out the center piece of the clip. this should loosen it up enough that you should be able to pull the entire clip out with your hand or the flathead. MAKE SURE you pop the center part of the clip out before trying to remove it.

that is the hardest part, other than getting the filter off. the first oil change is usually the hardest b/c the filter is on there so tight from the factory. go to an auto parts store with the replacement filter and find a wrench, im talking a REAL WRENCH, no one of those lame filter tools they sell for $5. I broke one of the cheapos, and had to force a screwdriver thru the filter to get it off the first time.

good luck, hope that helps.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Thanks a bunch. I might have struggled with the other fasteners.

Those fasteners sound similar to the ones I had to use when I put on my mud flaps.

I have several filter wrenches. I bought the end style and already had three other types. So that should be possible with at least one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The oil change interval on the new 911 is now listed at 20,000 miles. It used to be 15,000. That gives you a good idea how long synthetic can really last.
    That is insane for a turbo engine. I was talking to a guy at work today that has a 2010 BMW X6 and said the oil change interval is 15,000 miles using German Castrol. As long as they stand behind I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Grains View Post
    Ok got the paper work out, this plan I bought covers oil changes, replacement oil, and all fluids. Spark plugs, engine coolant, fuel filter, air cleaner element, differential lubricants, brake fluid, and inspections of all suspension, steering, brakes, brake lines, clutch, front and rear axle boots, and shaft joints. It also gives me roadside assistance 7 days a week 24 hours a day. Not sure if it's worth it but I have it.
    Well, it looks to be worth it if they are going to change all that stuff when the manual suggest.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    That is insane for a turbo engine. I was talking to a guy at work today that has a 2010 BMW X6 and said the oil change interval is 15,000 miles using German Castrol. As long as they stand behind I guess.

Well, it looks to be worth it if they are going to change all that stuff when the manual suggest.
    I wouldn't go that long myself for sure, but that maintains your warranty. I went 10k between changes on my old 911 but on my new one, it's 7-8k and I don't track it. It does make a huge difference that the overall oil capacity is 10 quarts which means there's a ton more additives to burn up than in a standard 5 quart car.
    Scott

My dealer must be under-charging me for full synthetic oil changes.. They're usually about $45 .. $78 with a tire rotation included. I keep to the 3750mi interval more so because the car is still within warranty but even after that expires I'll likely stick fairly close to it. I'll likely move it to 4k mi just because its a nice even number.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I have a hard time moving away from my 5k km (3125 mile) oil change interval; I could likely stretch it another 1, 2, 3 k km safely, but I'm willing to "waste" my money. A 15 or 20k MILE interval would keep me up at night.

More and more car makers are saying, my bad, we were just looking to make money, you actually only have to change your oil when there's a solar eclipse.

FWIW, not running synthetic oil in a new, turbo charged car, is criminal IMO.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.