New =)

This is a discussion on New =) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yup, so I'm new here, and to Subaru. I've always owned Honda's, and I decided to buy a WRX. So ...

New =)

Yup, so I'm new here, and to Subaru. I've always owned Honda's, and I decided to buy a WRX. So I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions down the road, but my only one thus far is what suspension is recommended for the bugeyes. I've seen a lot of really good things about D2 coilovers, and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to go with, but I'm open to options. I was really leaning towards a full coilover, but I want one that is still going to have some comfort on the street. I've read a bunch of review on some of the other coilovers, and I've found that many of them just aren't good for street use, but I haven't found anything bad about the D2's yet. Sorry about all the rambling, but I'm sure I'll be pretty active around here in the future. Btw, I have an 02 WRX =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

whats your goal for the car? is it going to be in autox or at the track often? or is it just a dd that you want to have that "hella flush" look?

coilovers are great if used to their full extent, not worth it for a dd and usually have a harsh ride

if you just want to upgrade the suspension to be a bit better around the twisties there are lots of strut and spring combos that work really well, and swaybars completely change the cars attitude for the better

keep in mind subarus arent hondas and many things that are fine for hondas aren't for subies
    enjoy the fine car though no matter what you do!

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

I was thinking about giving auto-x a try, and I definitely see it at the track in the future!! I'm not sure "hella flush" is what I'm going for but I do see some pretty wide wheels with a nice offset as a near future mod.

People daily drive on coilovers all the time, and they don't always have harsh rides, which is why I've been doing my homework.

What are you referring to that is safe for Honda's but not Subies?

theres nothing wrong with coilovers i just personally think they are a waste of money unless they're justified
    and on a daily driver thats only going to see a track here and there a good set of coils n struts will do just fine

also with coilovers you have to dish money out, buy cheap and they'll be crap but if money's no issue then no worries there, also some of them require frequent rebuilding

hondas and subarus are about as similar as apples and bananas... both are cars with engines thats about it

put the wrong intake on a subaru and boom! hondas dont seem to care.... very offset wheels on subarus tend to wear out bearings prematurely... dropping the clutch on the subaru could leave you with a blown trans whereas on a fwd they'll spin the tires before breaking anything... the list can keep going just search before buying upgrades

i'm no coilover guru as i decided early on i didnt need them and just got a good set of springs with adequate struts and i couldn't be happier! but i only track the car a few times a year and drive my daughter around in it... so it has to be somewhat comfy

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

I'm aware of the difference between AWD and FWD. I wouldn't never buy anything without first find out past experience with it, and knowing that it is going to be good for what I want out of it.

I do not plan on buying cheap coilovers, but I'm not going to go out a buy a set that is for "race" use knowing that the majority of my miles come from the street (daily driving). Like I said, I look into everything prior to buying it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC