yet another newbie, of course w/ a "?"

This is a discussion on yet another newbie, of course w/ a "?" within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just "inherited" an '08 WRX (stock, but with some upgrades lurking in the garage). My question is: since the car ...

Thumbs up yet another newbie, of course w/ a "?"

Just "inherited" an '08 WRX (stock, but with some upgrades lurking in the garage). My question is: since the car was driven less than 10 mi. to and fm work each day (X 16k mi) I'm worried it has developed sludge. Paranoia or should I take it on a good hard run or is Auto-Rx a good (oil) treatment? Looking fwd to getting along the steep learning curve I'm currently on re: Subarus/turbos. So far so good...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xcar View Post
    Just "inherited" an '08 WRX (stock, but with some upgrades lurking in the garage). My question is: since the car was driven less than 10 mi. to and fm work each day (X 16k mi) I'm worried it has developed sludge. Paranoia or should I take it on a good hard run or is Auto-Rx a good (oil) treatment? Looking fwd to getting along the steep learning curve I'm currently on re: Subarus/turbos. So far so good...
    If the car was well maintained and the oil was changed regularly, I wouldn't worry all that much.

subarus arent notorious for sludging over so use a good quality oil (synthetic resists sludging more than conventional) and change it regularly

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

First off if u did have sludge, running hard wouldnt help anything. Second, 16k miles driven everyday to work, why would there be sludge in the first place? Paranoia, yeah bro I think just a tad... Focus on bigger and better things....

I've never read that sludge is a problem from Subaru engines.

If you are worried about the oil, have it tested Blackstone Labs

Adding additives that the engine doesn't need can damage the engine.

Thumbs up Thanks...

to all of your replies relieving my sludge worries. Yes, I am probably a bit on the paranoid/obsessive side when it comes to taking care of my newborn Rex; but it will soon go to surgery for Whiteline fore & aft 22mm adj'l sways, Kartboy endlinks, a Perrin catted downpipe, the captain's plate of bushings, and a Cobb AP to wake it all up. Coming from a stock '69 VW bug I feel like I'm now s******g in TALL cotton. http://www.clubwrx.net/ubb/biggrin.gif. Thanks again !

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy
    If you are worried about the oil, have it tested Blackstone Labs
    This.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC