1st Post, 1st WRX, & Questions. Day 1.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 1st Post, 1st WRX, & Questions. Day 1. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Bought this last night for cheap: That's an 03, rebuilt title (I don't think the damage was that bad, probably ...

1st Post, 1st WRX, & Questions. Day 1.

Bought this last night for cheap:

That's an 03, rebuilt title (I don't think the damage was that bad, probably totaled due to cost of repair vs lower value high milage 8yr old car), 120k on the clock. Appears mostly stock except cold air intake and exhaust.

It is amazingly clean inside and out. As clean or cleaner than it looks in pics.

I'm going to give it a shot for daily commuting, but I'm 38, have kid, so don't want it too radical. In fact, I might would like to put an OEM exhaust back on it, as I don't need it sounding like I'm a rad-tatt'd-up 20yr old when I roll into the office every morning.

Car is very very firm and race-car feeling. Assuming this is stock suspension, but I'm kindof surprised about it... feels tight/good.

Questions:
    1) During drive home from buying it last night, I note it pulls strong to about 115, then kindof starts "pulsating". Doesn't feel like the normal electronic speed limiter I'm accustomed to, more like the turbo just can't push anymore... is this normal? Is this normal top speed for a mostly stock 03?

2) I don't think the major services have been done. What am I looking at exactly? Timing belt? Water Pump? What else is critical? I'm into it cheap, and don't want to spend more than I need to, so I can get out of it clean if need be. Is there a clean list of the must-do's?

3) Whats the scoop with year-models and wheel compatibility? I think these are 17 OEM's, but I can't tell (someone can probably tell by photo)? Tires are still good, but when i replace tires, I usually get OEM take-off's with new OEM tires on them.... I could see putting some newer take-off's, even STI's on there, if they would fit. Anyone know the year models that are compatible with this 03?

4) What else do I need to know from a daily-driver perspective?

5) Oh, out of curiosity, whats a good price for this car? I feel like I got into it neatly, but that's just a guess...

Thnx,
    Nathan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01 View Post
    Bought this last night for cheap:

That's an 03, rebuilt title (I don't think the damage was that bad, probably totaled due to cost of repair vs lower value high milage 8yr old car), 120k on the clock. Appears mostly stock except cold air intake and exhaust.

It is amazingly clean inside and out. As clean or cleaner than it looks in pics.

I'm going to give it a shot for daily commuting, but I'm 38, have kid, so don't want it too radical. In fact, I might would like to put an OEM exhaust back on it, as I don't need it sounding like I'm a rad-tatt'd-up 20yr old when I roll into the office every morning.

Car is very very firm and race-car feeling. Assuming this is stock suspension, but I'm kindof surprised about it... feels tight/good.

Questions:
    1) During drive home from buying it last night, I note it pulls strong to about 115, then kindof starts "pulsating". Doesn't feel like the normal electronic speed limiter I'm accustomed to, more like the turbo just can't push anymore... is this normal? Is this normal top speed for a mostly stock 03?

2) I don't think the major services have been done. What am I looking at exactly? Timing belt? Water Pump? What else is critical? I'm into it cheap, and don't want to spend more than I need to, so I can get out of it clean if need be. Is there a clean list of the must-do's?

3) Whats the scoop with year-models and wheel compatibility? I think these are 17 OEM's, but I can't tell (someone can probably tell by photo)? Tires are still good, but when i replace tires, I usually get OEM take-off's with new OEM tires on them.... I could see putting some newer take-off's, even STI's on there, if they would fit. Anyone know the year models that are compatible with this 03?

4) What else do I need to know from a daily-driver perspective?

5) Oh, out of curiosity, whats a good price for this car? I feel like I got into it neatly, but that's just a guess...

Thnx,
    Nathan
    Welcome to Club! Nice Bugeye, it looks really clean and I can appreciate the WRB color on that year.

I'm not sure about the governer kicking in at 115, I seem to remember reading somewhere that a track tested WRX (2003) was in the neighborhood of 135mph.

For services you're looking at Timing Belt, Waterpump, Plugs, Filter your standard issue stuff. I would think the 90K and 105K services should have been done on it, but you never know without documentation. Right at 120K it's time to replace all the belts as well.

The bolt pattern for your wheels is 5X100 and the 04' STi wheels will fit (but are $$$,) all the STi's from '05 up are 5X114. Your rims should be 16" x 6.5" and 55mm offset.

Daily Driver stuff, Subies make noises sometimes for no reason. The body panels are pretty thin and you might notice some more road noise compared to other cars. Buuuuut that's what a stereo and Intake Silencer Delete is for!

I think that car would be in the range of $9500-$11,000 being rebuilt and that may be a little on the high side.

Hope you enjoy your new Scoob!
    2006 CGM WRX TR
    2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #139
    www.idahosubie.com

TY, thx Sir! Exactly what I needed to know.

Looks like I'm safe from an investment standpoint, I should be able to get out easily if I need to. I think I would only get out if/when I'm ready to pony up for a newer one.

I'm not sure which year, but the WRX, i've heard, got a significant update somewhere around 07-08 where it's much more powerful stock (265HP?)? I'd like to get one of those in a wagon style... nirvana.

Tossing on more pic's to keep it interesting...

I Support ClubWRX
    No prob! You're right about the powerplant, in '05-'06 the WRX received a 2.5L transplant vs the 2.0L that you currently have putting it about 230hp stock.

What kind of exhaust system is that?
    Last edited by Ty WRX; 01-12-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    2006 CGM WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #139
    www.idahosubie.com

Not sure which exhaust it is, I need to crawl under there and investigate... I'm more the Tom Cruise in Day's of Thunder type, I can drive it, but I don't know how it works...

re: Service, is going to a Dealer suicide? Or do mostly folks look for a non-dealer foreign car shop?
    Anything "special" or "difficult" about these that makes going to the dealer highly preferred?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty WRX View Post
    No prob! You're right about the powerplant, in '05-'06 the WRX received a 2.5L transplant vs the 2.0L that you currently have putting it about 230hp stock.

What kind of exhaust system is that?
    It was MY06 that received the much-updated EJ255. Looks like an ebay exhaust...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    It was MY06 that received the much-updated EJ255. Looks like an ebay exhaust...
    I knew it was '06, but also saw something about '05's, yet I have never seen one.
    2006 CGM WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #139
    www.idahosubie.com

OK, any serious tips about mechanical work?

I just got a quote from the dealer:

*Full Belt replacement job: $950
    *Full 60k Service: $650

Now, I'm not very smart, but that feels pretty high...

Thanks,
    Nathan

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01 View Post
    OK, any serious tips about mechanical work?

I just got a quote from the dealer:

*Full Belt replacement job: $950
    *Full 60k Service: $650

Now, I'm not very smart, but that feels pretty high...

Thanks,
    Nathan
    950 dollars is pretty high for replacing the timing belt even if water pump replacement is included in that figure. As for the 60K service interval... do it yourself. All you're looking at is a full fluid change including the rear diff fluid and reading the ECU. $650? forget it.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I just performed the 60k service myself and it is just fluids, all pretty simple. And I bought royal purple oil for everything and coolant and coolant conditioner and I maybe spent $100 at most.

coolant and coolant conditioner you need to get from the dealer, but going there for work is a definite rip off.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.