New member seriously looking into a WRX, but has some questions...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New member seriously looking into a WRX, but has some questions... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I found this place through a quick Google search in hopes that I would find answers to some ...

Post New member seriously looking into a WRX, but has some questions...

Hey all, I found this place through a quick Google search in hopes that I would find answers to some questions that I have. The good news is that I did find answers for some of them, but not all. So I decided to join up and try to find some answers. I grew up in a mechanic's household, so I am mostly familiar with how cars work and what not.

I'm looking for either a 2006 or 2007 WRX and was wondering what things I should be watching for. I did see in one of the other posts to get compression leak and leakdown tests. I'm assuming that these are to make sure whoever had it last didn't rag out the motor.... What is the usual life expectancy for these cars give someone who takes care of it?

I know this is a really stupid question to put on a WRX forum, but what is the difference between a WRX and an STi? Does 50 hp, an extra gear, a different differential, and a tweaked suspension make that big of a difference?

I'm looking for an AWD car, and that pretty much limits my options to Audi Quattro, a Lancer Evo, and anything Subaru. I've heard a lot of good about Subaru, and the Impreza WRX and STi fit my style of sports car. (a.k.a. a little less class and a little more rally car [yes the the STi was my favorite car on Gran Turismo] )

The only problem I'm facing is a wait. I'm finishing paying off some stuff before I step into a car upgrade. I'm doing my research now, so that I have a good idea of what I'm looking at when I do go to buy. Thanks for your help in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru_Geek View Post
    I'm looking for either a 2006 or 2007 WRX and was wondering what things I should be watching for. I did see in one of the other posts to get compression leak and leakdown tests. I'm assuming that these are to make sure whoever had it last didn't rag out the motor.... What is the usual life expectancy for these cars give someone who takes care of it?

I know this is a really stupid question to put on a WRX forum, but what is the difference between a WRX and an STi? Does 50 hp, an extra gear, a different differential, and a tweaked suspension make that big of a difference?
    I've seen people claim that they had theirs for over 200K miles and going strong so I think that's pretty darn good.

The WRX STI does make a big difference on the track and some normal driving situations. It has a more bullet proof drivetrain for those who stress their cars constantly in race conditions, the suspension is tweaked for more aggressive driving, LSD front/Rear for better traction and control, adjustable center diff for different driving moods and situations(you can lock the center diff 50:50 for heavy snow days) and don't forget the high fade resistant Brembo's that STI's come with. People usually prefer the regular WRX for comfortable daily driver due to it's softer suspension and more sane price.
    Last edited by KHP; 01-11-2011 at 07:06 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru_Geek
    Hey all, I found this place through a quick Google search in hopes that I would find answers to some questions that I have. The good news is that I did find answers for some of them, but not all. So I decided to join up and try to find some answers. I grew up in a mechanic's household, so I am mostly familiar with how cars work and what not.
    Welcome

Those tests will give you some insight into the health of the motor.

That's a subjective question. For me, it was well worth the extra cash to drop on the STI.

I'm looking for an AWD car, and that pretty much limits my options to Audi Quattro, a Lancer Evo, and anything Subaru. I've heard a lot of good about Subaru, and the Impreza WRX and STi fit my style of sports car. (a.k.a. a little less class and a little more rally car [yes the the STi was my favorite car on Gran Turismo] )
    Audis: expensive to insure/repair
    Evo: reliability can be an issue, few will not have been beaten
    Subaru: reliability when properly modified/maintained isn't bad, but many have been beaten; best insurance is to have a full used car inspection with compression/leakdown tests.

The only problem I'm facing is a wait. I'm finishing paying off some stuff before I step into a car upgrade. I'm doing my research now, so that I have a good idea of what I'm looking at when I do go to buy. Thanks for your help in advance!
    Happy shopping
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.