New STI owner with lots of questions!!!

This is a discussion on New STI owner with lots of questions!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just recently bought a 2004 WRX STI and i love it! On the other hand though im having quite ...

New STI owner with lots of questions!!!

I just recently bought a 2004 WRX STI and i love it! On the other hand though im having quite a few problems out of it. The o2 sensor is out which i know how to replace that but i have several lights on my dash on right now. There is the DCCD light i have no idea what that is, and the lights right beside that which says AUTO with a bunch of arrows below that, and my REAR DIFF TEMP light is on. Any information that any of you have would be most helpful. I am also sorry if some or most of these issues are discussed in the forums, i just dont really have the time to look these problems up because im in the military. Oh and also i cannot turn off my cruise control the light on the dash constantly blinks. One more question when im going 55 mph and up and i down shift from 6th to 5th and down to 4th gear 4 makes a slight grinding noise, im thinking its the synchronizer going out. BTW what kind of oil are you running in the power train? Thank you for your time in answering my questions it is much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are we sure that this is an STi and not a WRX with an STi swap into it? The rear diff temp light only comes on if the sensor is broken, or the rear diff is wayyy too hot from tracking the car. Otherwise it's an STi cluster in a WRX.

Read up on DCCD. It'll explain it to you.

The only oil I'll put into my drivetrain is Subaru ExtraS
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I ran a carfax before i bought the car and its a legit STI. Its just got a few problems that im currently working on. BTW thanks for the info on the DCCD, it was very helpful. So you think that my sensor on the rear diff is bad which sounds about right because i took the car out a little while ago and drove her a little hard to get it heated up and i pulled down my drive way and shut it down. Then i put my hand on the rear diff case to see if it was hot and it actually felt pretty cool to the touch. So I think your right that i have yet another bad sensor. Anyways thanks again for the information, it really is much appreciated.

I had to replace the rear diff sensor in my '04 STi because it went bad, and it threw these warning lights. Given, it was because I accidentally pulled a wire loose when I was changing my exhaust, but the same lights came on. Maybe the sensor is just bad, or a wire could be loose.

The cruise control could be any number of reasons.

If only gear makes a grinding noise as you explained, then I'd expect a worn synchro too. I'm just surprised it's in 4th gear. Normally it's 1, 2, or 3 since those get used the most.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading