Looking to become a WRX owner.

This is a discussion on Looking to become a WRX owner. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off, Hey guys! Glad to be a part of this forum. Looks like it will be an invaluable resource ...

Looking to become a WRX owner.

First off, Hey guys! Glad to be a part of this forum. Looks like it will be an invaluable resource of helpful (and not helpful) information.

Im looking to purchase my first subaru in about a month or so. I dont have a lot of money seeing as I'm in college, so I was looking at some higher mileage WRX's.

What is the typical lifespan of a decently maintained 02ish WRX?

I have $6k to spend and the lowest mileage I'm seeing is around 140k. I want to be able to not worry about spending some money on mods because the car could kick the bucket at any time.

I'm currently an E36 BMW owner and looking for something newer and better. One great thing though, is mine is at 230k miles and still going strong, and by no means did it have an easy life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the budget is too low. If your car is OK I would keep it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It looks like I have to spend more than 10 grand to get anything below the 100000 mile mark.
    While my car is ok, Im looking for something fresher, Ive got some road trips planned and I'm a little worried about not getting there without any problems. I was hoping to get another car that would put me at ease.

How bout a 2.5 rs? It will be more reliable, cheaper to maintain, and still a subaru... I think after I pay mine off I'm going to look into a diesel impreza and keep my 06 as a toy...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I'm pretty set on a wrx. I want a decent increase in speed over my current car. Its pretty much between a WRX and a 330i. Im leaning toward the WRX because of how cheap it is to make power compared to NA bimmers...

As far as maintenance costs, I dont have an issue, I'm very mechanically inclined and will be doing all the work myself. I'm just worried about big problems that would require a rebuild/replacement of the engine/tranny.

Yeah I completely understand... I had to wait 8 years in order to finally get mine, cause I was so upside down in my prior cars... It took a long time to pay them down enough to get the car that I had always wanted... I'm also glad I waited too, I'm sure I would've been racking up tickets and paying a hell of a lot more for insurance too... if you do decide to get 1 make sure to have a compression and leakdown test done and ask for a full service history and avoid the modified cars as much as you can.... Its not that all of them are bad, its just the nature of this car to get used for what it can do... good luck with your search and welcome to the fourm... get familiar with the "stickys" in the forum area it has a lot of great information (including how to buy a used wrx/sti...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257