fresh meat!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on fresh meat!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. I'm new to the site, and the Subie community. Just purchased an 03 wrx from a friend of ...

fresh meat!!!

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site, and the Subie community. Just purchased an 03 wrx from a friend of mine. I've only had it for 5 days and I gotta say, I love the car! Its still pretty much completely stock, except for rims and stereo system... it has 2 or 3 minor blemishes, but with a little tlc, its gonna be sweet!!!

Been into the Honda community for the better part of 10 years, now I have my first Subie. Been doing some research, and Ive already got the urge to start dropping some mods into it. haha.

I really dont know a thing about these cars or motors, so i'm sure you will be hearing from me in the future for questions on it.

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1997 S-10 zr2- work/quad hauler
    1991 crx si-r- all motor B16
    1989 crx si- beater

"It looks like Scarface sneezed on you car!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!! There is an abundance of info on this site and most everyone is more than willing to help if you have a question. Enjoy the car and the site!

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    There is an abundance of info on this site and most everyone is more than willing to help if you have a question.
    +1, welcome to the club! Definitely do plenty of research and reading before you start modding, and ask questions! We don't bite! (well, most of us don't at least... )

This is a good read if you're thinking about mods ---> WRX info
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the Club!

All stock, eh? This is one place to start: Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thank you everyone for the greetings to the site. Yes, already been spending much time doing research. Uppipe is def gonna be the first to be replaced, I would hate to have some cat materials get sucked into the turbo. after that probably gonna do TBE. from what i've read, for the 02-03 wrx, a tune is not a necessity after putting a turbo back exhaust... so we will see. Also thinking about doing the Grimmspeed boost solenoid. Def gotta tune after that goes on though.

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

I have a question about getting it tuned though.... Coming from the honda community, and not really knowing much about the subie; i know in my crx, i use either the obd0 or obd1 ecu's with a socket and programmable chip. Now with the wrx, do i have to get the ecu socketed, or are the tuning programs that just plug in and reprogram the stock ecu?

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

Quote Originally Posted by eddie-mondo View Post
    I have a question about getting it tuned though.... Coming from the honda community, and not really knowing much about the subie; i know in my crx, i use either the obd0 or obd1 ecu's with a socket and programmable chip. Now with the wrx, do i have to get the ecu socketed, or are the tuning programs that just plug in and reprogram the stock ecu?
    Basically just programs that are downloaded onto the ECU

ok, cool. So no removing the ecu and have to de-solder out the chip, re-solder a socket in? that's convenient.

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

I Support ClubWRX
    The ECU is reflashed (rewritten). Couldn't be easier.

This is what I currently use: http://tactrix.com/
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

A: Welcome to the Club!
    B: Congrats on the WRX!!
    C: Don't drive the Subie like you would drive the Honda... Don't shift it like a Honda is what I'm trying to say. The transmissions on the Subaru's are not as strong as Honda's.

-Jeff

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Don't drive the Subie like you would drive the Honda... Don't shift it like a Honda is what I'm trying to say. The transmissions on the Subaru's are not as strong as Honda's.

-Jeff
    How well would a Honda transmission deal with the power and torque of a stock WRX?
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    How well would a Honda transmission deal with the power and torque of a stock WRX?
    Yeah... if the Honda had the same amount of torque as the WRX then it prob would mess up the transmission too. Not sure but I'm saying some people who own Honda's shift them hard and you can't do that in a Subaru.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Yeah... if the Honda had the same amount of torque as the WRX then it prob would mess up the transmission too. Not sure but I'm saying some people who own Honda's shift them hard and you can't do that in a Subaru.
    I know where you were going ... the 2002 - early 2003 gearboxes had strength issues. The gears were beefed up in the later 2003 + transmissions.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 01-08-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    Mods & Pics

Yeah that's where I was going.. I saw the post in the first thread about him getting an '03 WRX' and it triggered it in my brand... Then I read about him coming from a Honda and it definitely made me want to post about it.

Thanks for the input on the strength issues for the 02-03 gearboxes, def something to take into consideration for my driving habits.

After doing the research, i think i've decided to get the stage 2 cobb access port and turbo back exhaust. it just seems very simple to use, and seeing how finding someone around here to tune my car is few and far between, this is just much more convenient for me. perhaps later on down the road, if i ever decide to get the turbo upgraded or anything major, then a custom tune i'll def have to do.

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.