2011 WRX fuel door wont open

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX fuel door wont open within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have had my wrx for about 2 months now, the first few fill-ups were fine, but for the last ...

2011 WRX fuel door wont open

I have had my wrx for about 2 months now, the first few fill-ups were fine, but for the last few weeks, the fuel door wont open. Its not frozen, it just doesn't open when you pull the level - i have to jam something in the latch, or have someone hold it while i go and pull it open with my fingers - i only have 2200k on it.

Anyone else have this issue? I'll have the dealer look at it at the 1st oil change. Ive tried to pull the metal thing that acts as a spring but that that doesn't help...........

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There's a couple of threads on here about this. Seems to be a common problem...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yup...same problem here...

I'm going to look into a solution...I'll let you know if I have any luck.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I'll do the same here - if it wasnt so dam cold, i'd try and get into the panel and see if its the cable or something - but with no garage, I'll deal with it for now........

I Support ClubWRX
    This is what warranties are for guys!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by suby04 View Post
    I'll do the same here - if it wasnt so dam cold, i'd try and get into the panel and see if its the cable or something - but with no garage, I'll deal with it for now........
    the release seems to work fine...it's just the fact that the door doesn't "pop" open. I think it's spring loaded in some way. If I can't get to it...back to the dealership we go!
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

i had this happen to me on x-mass day! so sh**y when it is cold and you are late! i was abble to prop the relese hand up with my knife. the door would move but would not pop. i used a key and my shirt to pull it open ever so nicely. the door had two small 1/4 inch dots of ice on the inside top edge of it they where what was holding it shut. it was about 5 out when i was trying to get it open. i could see the ice poping off and never have konwing it was their(it maybe luck that i saw them?). Have not had any other trubble with it. dont know if it is the same problem as everyone else but i thought i woud add my 2 cents.

This is an easy fix. Slightly bend the little latch that holds the door. Did this on my car and haven't had an issue for about 3 years.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Mine doesn't pop open either, as I had suspected it would. Instead of trying to pry it open from the left side of the door, I just push the right side of the door in, and it pops right open!
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

UPDATE: Well the dealer fixed the door, they said the spring clip was "misaligned". I checked the flimsy clip and it looked like i was in the same place it was before. Anyway, the door does open, although its a very weak spring open. We'll see if its a case of a few uses and the clip will become "misaligned" again, or if its actually fixed. :-)

If this ever happened to mine and the dealer couldn't fix it, I would put glue rare earth magnets to the door and frame with the polarities aligned so they reject. It's kinda ghetto but what the heck...

I've definitely noticed the fuel door is very cheap and flimsy versus the fuel door on my '04. I'm sure that contributes to the problem.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading