Just purchased a MY09 WRX and would like some advice on initial mods
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just purchased a MY09 WRX and would like some advice on initial mods within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello. I'm new to this website and just purchased a wrx on New Year's Eve so my 2011 is off ...

Just purchased a MY09 WRX and would like some advice on initial mods

Hello. I'm new to this website and just purchased a wrx on New Year's Eve so my 2011 is off to a great start. I'm a previous owner of a brand new Impreza 2.5 RS from 2001 and finally took the turbo plunge. So, here's what I'm planning:

Short Shifter:

I'm hearing good things about the Kartboy (which I used on my RS) and the adjustable by Cobb. What is adjustable about the Cobb version? Is it an easy install? Are the plastic discs that come with the shortshifter easy to install? And what is their purpose exactly?

Armrest:

I'm looking at the one found on SubaruAccessories.com :: 886-717-2512: Forester: Outback: Impreza: WRX: Legacy which only has it listed in the '08 model in the drop down box. I was curious if this works in the '09.

Turbo Gauge

Is the one offered by Subaru the preferred model? I was thinking of going with the panel that runs by the left shoulder of the driver. I'm not sure if that's practical for this car though.

One last thing. When I was looking at the engine at the dealership, there was a pulley that had an attachment that spun independently from the pulley. It wasn't spinning all the time, only intermittently. The pulley is the one on the driver side when looking at the engine. What was the purpose of that?

Sorry for the newb questions but I want to spend my money wisely the first time around and want to better understand my car. Thanks for any help in advance!

-cross posted for maximum advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! I also have an 09wrx, and I purchased the Mode short shifter (it is the same as the cobb, but the guy started his own company or something like that, I talked to him about it before I bought it) It is dually adjustable: 1. shifter height 2. distance from bottom of shifter to linkage. It has a lot of variation, my shift knob was a bit above my e-brake when I had it adjusted really low. I actually just took mine out (back to stock) and its still in near perfect condition if you wanted to get the part a bit cheaper. As for the "plastic disks," do you mean the shifter bushings? If so, they are just to replace the soft rubbery piece thats already there and stiffens the shift movement (less wiggle).

As for your other questions, I will bow out for someone else to offer advice, since I have not modded those parts.

Welcome again, and if you are interested in the short shifter, pm (private message) me.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

The pulley is for the AC. It will turn on and off intermittently if the auto climate control is on...

Welcome. I have an '09 as well so I can share some insight.

Short shifter: There are quite a few options and I'm not sure if an adjustable one is worthwhile. I got a good deal on a TWM (I think...some Canadian company at any rate) and it is just a piece of metal so it seems like you can get any reputable brand. Definitely get the bushings. I waited about a month later to install the bushings after I did the short shifter and there was a huge improvement. Shifts are much more crisp and precise. Overall, the both are worth the ~$100.

Turbo gauge: I think this is largely preference but the Subaru version is NOT the preferable one. First, it is mechanical so it can get some flutter but my disclaimer is I haven't seen it in operation so I'm not sure about this particular one. Second, I think it maxes at 20 psi so if you end up doing a lot of modding down the road it could be wasted money. The best one I found balancing cost, performance, and looks is Maddad, which is what I ended up buying. Matches the factory cluster nearly perfect, they have pretty good reviews, and at around $100 it is worth the money with the extra features it has.

I have the extra armrest on my 2009 that came w/ my car when i bought it new. The way I sit in my car, I couldn't live without it.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.