New Here. Need Suggestions!

This is a discussion on New Here. Need Suggestions! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. I currently own a 1994 Camaro 5-speed and it's my baby. I just found a wrecked 2004 WRX ...

New Here. Need Suggestions!

Hey everyone. I currently own a 1994 Camaro 5-speed and it's my baby. I just found a wrecked 2004 WRX for sale though. The guy wants $2500 for it. AWD, Manual trans, 18" wheels, 80xxx original miles. Here are some pics. Is it worth my trouble? How much do you all think it will cost to fix it? Thanks in advance everyone.

And yes I'm completely new to the idea of a Subaru. I'm a Camaro lover. However, I know these cars are insanely fast compared to my car and it's only $2500. The advice I get from you guys will make or break the deal. Honestly I know NOTHING about these cars lol. Let me know what you all think!

And if you guys were wondering about my Camaro, here are some pics of it too

Live every day like it's your last. But whatever you do, don't blow the clutch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm pretty sure there is a thread on here about what to look for on purchasing a used WRX, however in your case it's wrecked. I would definitely check it out, i believe it's stickied. If you know of any auto / body mechanic i would take them out there and have them look it over, then get a pretty good estimate of the damage and the repair cost. Do some research on NADA or KBB, and find out about the title, is it clean? or rebuilt? salvaged? I'm no expert, just a few things that I'd throw a red flag up about. Also, how long has it been sitting there? Does it even run?

I haven't heard it run. The radiator is crammed into the front of the motor. The guy says he bought it at a wrecked car auction by accident and that he just wants back what he paid for it. I know that the rotors are rusted so it had to have been sitting for awhile. So I'm a little sketchy on it but then again it only has 80xxx. Is there anything in particular that I should look for to be good or bad in one of these cars? Any ideas?

seems like you already have a very nice car..keep that and wait till you find a better deal on a subie..unless you do some serious research about it and have some serious wrench turning skills..i would say that thing looks like its going to cause you more problems down the road

Look elsewhere. That car is not worth it.

Or offer that dude 1000$ and get ready to spend at least 8000$ to get it running again. That is if the frame is not bent.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

He bought it by "accident"? I'm guessing he bought it, realized it would cost about $10k to get it back to decent condition and decided to bail. I'd pass if in your shoes. As a rule of thumb, try to start with a car that has not been wrecked...

Well I figured a new front clip to throw on there and I'd be good to go. That's why I asked you guys lol. Because with a Camaro, I could tell you from the damage if it's worth fixing. But not a Subie. Would it really cost $8k to get it on the road again?? The guy bought it because he parts out cars. The car is at a salvage yard. Nothing has been removed from it yet. I helped them take it off the flat bed lol. I had no idea it would cost that much to fix it. Hell I could go and buy a 2002 SS Camaro for $8k. And btw, my car is junk basically. Looks are deceiving. VERY deceiving. lol Anyway, thanks for all the replies and advice.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd vote not worth it as well. Just look around for one in better condition. Mostly because other than the body, there is no way of telling the overall car health engine or tyranny wise. The cars reliability is very strongly dependent on its maintenance. Which may be very poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro