Towing Capability with 2011 WRX?

This is a discussion on Towing Capability with 2011 WRX? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off, i don't own one yet, so i can't refer to the Op Manual. I've read on a few ...

Towing Capability with 2011 WRX?

First off, i don't own one yet, so i can't refer to the Op Manual. I've read on a few websites that you can't tow with the 4dr but you CAN with the 5dr. However i asked my dealer before ordering the car, and he told me opposite, so i ordered the 4dr for this capability. I would only use it to tow my small jet ski a few times a year. He told me he spoke with the mechanics and they said the 4 dr could have a hitch mounted. After pondering about it over the last few weeks, i can't really see where a hitch would be attached due to the low rear bumper design, as well as the Exhaust. So if you guys could enlighten me on this issue i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    From my 2006 owners manual:

Total trailer weight:

Without Trailer Brakes: 1000 pounds
    With Trailer Brakes: 2000 pounds

For autos with an expected outside temperature above 104*F and expected uphill grade longer than 5 miles: 1000 pounds

Your jet ski should be fine.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thanks for the reply, but i wonder since we have complete different rear ends, how it will work. I can see on the 06, but not the 11.

I Support ClubWRX
    How what will work? The adapter? If the dealer will be the one installing it for you, it's on them. The only write up I've seen for that generation was on a 2010 5dr, and they used the Forester hitch. It went in with relatively little modification, it's likely to be the exact same for that generation, though I'm not sure what the differences will be between the 4dr and the 5dr.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

mrd
    They specifically wrote in manual that they do not recommend towing with any of these models, but again I believe that it is possible. UK site shows towing capacity as 1600 kg, how to install hitch? I would go through Subaru global site, and see if they show some pics and how it works. Surely this car should be able to tow jets. There should be no differences between the 4dr and the 5dr. Only issue that I see when towing with this car is clearance at the back.

Thanks for the reply, I just found a link http://www.buycurthitches.com/theme/...fm?event=hitch that sells them both, but not for STI's. So if subarea doesn't recommend it, does that mean it voids the warranty? =\ From the installation guide, it says lowering the exhaust is the first step, then the last step you raise the exhaust back up. So i guess it sits above the exhaust and comes out the little opening in the bumper?
    Last edited by SuBieReX11; 12-29-2010 at 10:18 PM.

mrd
    I wouldn't worry about warranty, but insurance liability, if something goes wrong, how do they look at it I don't know. For installing I did it at my Legacy GT 2009 and it looks good, but I feel every dip if I do not approach in an acute angle.
    To install the hitch you have to lower the exhaust and then when installation is finished just hook it back.

Just an update: My dealership just informed me that the 4dr sedan wrx, not the hatch is the only one capable of towing. He told me that it will not effect my warranty in any way, however i've saved this voice mail, and will get it in writing before i purchase the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuBieReX11 View Post
    Just an update: My dealership just informed me that the 4dr sedan wrx, not the hatch is the only one capable of towing. He told me that it will not effect my warranty in any way, however i've saved this voice mail, and will get it in writing before i purchase the car.
    Definitely a good idea. When warrantys are concerned, always get it in writing.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!