2011 WRX owner in NJ

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX owner in NJ within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just traded my 2007 Cayman 2.7 in for a 2011 WRX premium package sedan. I haven't had a chance ...

2011 WRX owner in NJ

I just traded my 2007 Cayman 2.7 in for a 2011 WRX premium package sedan. I haven't had a chance to drive it much, but it's every bit as fast as the P Car was, and it soaks up the aweful northern NJ roads much better than my old ride. Nothing planned for mods, although I would like to improve the shifter. Is the short throw kit or something else worth doing? (and no, Im not going to drop beaucoup dollars on an STi tranny).

I picked it up on thursday and only had a chance to drive it home before it was parked for the weekend while at the in-laws for Christmas. I returned to the car being covered with 10" and still counting of snow. Do I bother trying to pull it out tomorrow, or just take the wifes forester to work? (damn, I want to drive it but Im not sure what those summer tires are going to do out on the roads)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well from what I've heard from others on here, the summer tires are crap in the snow. I'm sure if you drive slow and carefully there won't be any problem though.

order inter tires, get them on fast, and have fun.

Until then, summer tires are the worst tires to be driving on in the winter - even when it's just cold and not snowy.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by SuBieReX11 View Post
    Well from what I've heard from others on here, the summer tires are crap in the snow. I'm sure if you drive slow and carefully there won't be any problem though.
    uhm.. yeah slowly and carefully like dont leave the driveway until the have the roads clear. Seriously.. summer tires and winter weather are a no-go.

Get some good all seasons on there at very least or a set of winter tires as soon as you can. Summer's are scary in the snow, best to take the wife's forester tomorrow.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

well, that about says it all...no WRX tomorrow. FWIW, the Forester drove like a champ though the blizzard conditions coming back from NY this evening.

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    Congrats on the new ride! I had a '99 Porsche Boxster before getting my '11 WRX Sedan, and I honestly couldn't be happier! I've only had the WRX for about a week now, but the car has exceeded my expectations. I did opt for the factory short shifter, and it seems like a nice unit. The shifter itself is a bit taller than expected (though much of that is because of the huge shift knob), but the throws are nice and short.

Unfortunately, I didn't order my winter tires in time.. So now my car is sitting idle waiting for the snow to melt.

Same for me. I just got my 2011 WRX 5-door hatch (dark grey) last Thursday and had only few days to enjoy it. I currently leasing a 335xi (lease over in February) so I took that to work instead. I will put some winter tires on once the road is a little clearer.

I remember Subaru used to put all-season tires on the WRX. What happen to them? I would rather have all-season tires than summer tires.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My 07 had "all season" on it when I bought it - they were awful in the snow. I had to buy snows anyway.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Great, I am glad all you NJ folks got your car, I have been waiting for over 3-months now from All AMerican Subaru in Old Bridge NJ! MY 2010 was totaled after 10-days of ownership!!!

What dealers did you guys go to in NJ?

Great, I am glad all you NJ folks got your car, I have been waiting for over 3-months now from All AMerican Subaru in Old Bridge NJ! MY 2010 was totaled after 10-days of ownership!!!

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010wrxhatch View Post

I went to Subaru of Cherry Hill.. If you decide to pull your deposit and order from elsewhere, PM me and I'll send you my salesman's contact info.

I actually found a premium pkg WRX in stock at Ramsey Subaru. I was told it was meant for another guy, but he was unable to take delivery of it due to a DUI. Might just be the salesman blowing smoke, but I had to check a LOT of dealers just to find mine.

Yeah my 2011 wrx needed snows......the awd made a good attempt to move, but you jsut tap the brakes and all 4 locked - the abs thinks nothing is wrong so doesnt even do anything! I had to park it for 2 days when we had that storm in the Northeast just after xmas. Thankfully, the Michelin's arrived last week and i had them installed - of course now its 40+ degrees and most of the snow is gone! Anyway, with what little snow was left when i got them, last week, the car rocked! One thing to note, i used the stock rims with the 235/45/17 snowtires - despite the size, they do remarkably well, with little change in road noise or response - however the summer tires really let you unleash the performance of the 'rex so in that respect you can tell the difference. Mind you, its probably better not to be tempted to be racing around in the winter............:-) I will say, im having a hard time balancing the tires now - i am told the cone on the machine cant line up with the new wheel design so it cant get an accurate balance. I have to go back over the weekend after they have "figured out what to do" Ive used this place for over 10 years so i am sure they will get it right. Had i known this, i might have spend the extra cash for a second set of rims, but i suppose i would have been in this predicament eventually when the stocks were worn out.

GOT VIN# TODAY!!!!

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Congrats on the car from a fellow NJ guy. I'm waiting on my first WRX - ordered mid-December and given a 8 to 12 week estimate from Subaru of Flemington. I'm guessing it comes on the later end of that. I figure it at least means I can wait on the snowtire purchase till next season.

Still - this wait just may kill me!