Last Chance To Be a Kid!!!

This is a discussion on Last Chance To Be a Kid!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey Everyone, Thinking about trading in my 2008 Infiniti G35 Sedan (100% Stock & Automatic) for a 2009-2011 5-door/hatchback wrx ...

Last Chance To Be a Kid!!!

Hey Everyone,

Thinking about trading in my 2008 Infiniti G35 Sedan (100% Stock & Automatic) for a 2009-2011 5-door/hatchback wrx STI. Thoughts? Advice?

I'm going to say I'd like to keep the subaru relatively stock... But I'm sure y'all know how that goes...

-b

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

go for a 2011 if you can afford it (coming from the infiniti, im thinking you can) it looks a lot meaner and less like a corolla than the 2008-2010. yea, youre going to want an exhaust to hear that beautiful boxer engine rumble. Oh and, enjoy being a kid again, these cars are INCREDIBLE!
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Now with the questions...

Okay, so what options accessories are worth the dough? The main one in question is the short shifter. Should I order the one from subaru or does someone make a better one?

I test drove an 11 without the short throw shifter, then with... I would highly recommend getting it. I ordered mine with it, for an extra $251 installed at invoice i figured i couldn't really beat that plus it's warrantied. Are you looking at a 4 or 5 dr? If so the SPT exhaust is an option for the 5dr, which sounds amazing.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Skip the dealership performance parts. Subaru's short shifter is overpriced and none-too-impressive.

Agree'd on the factory short shifter. The only advantage is that they install it for you. For $250 you can get a Kartboy ss and a bushing set and still have money left over... just about to the tune of $100 left over.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

i just took my "cobb" short shifter out actually and put in the stock again. Everything was installed correctly, checked a couple times, and I used kartboy bushing also...but it seemed to grind almost every time I went into 3rd. I thought it was going to be obnoxious with stock again, but its not bad at all. You can still shift just as fast, warranty is in place, albeit with a shifter the size of a yard stick :P I have read some bad things about short shifters in our cars, messing with syncros I think it was, and that they really arent needed unless you are making a drag car. Just my .02
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I dont see how mechanically a short throw shifter would damage the trans. The driver maybe.. but not the shifter itself. There's a mechanical reason why. A short throw shifter moves the pivot point to shorten the throw.. well any time we look at a lever and fulcrum (pivot point) if you move the fulcrum in the way that the short throw units do to improve the throw you're actually decreasing the amount of leverage and the driver has on the transmission.

Not only that but there's no way a different shifter stick or bushings can damage a syncro if the driver is properly shifting the car. If the driver isn't using the clutch the way they should or not using it at all and just ripping gears.. yeah stuff will break, but regardless its still a driver error contributing to the problem not the installed components.

I've had the kartboy unit in my car for the last 20K mi + of every day driving... not one issue with missed shifts that weren't my fault. Occasionally I'll get lazy when driving slowly in traffic and let the clutch out too early going into 2nd... no grind it just wont go into gear when moving that slowly and my clutch foot gets ahead of me.. but again, its me.. not the shifter that causes the problem. I just push in the clutch again quickly and slide it into gear n keep going.

Any driver that breaks shift forks/linkages or syncho's isn't following the golden rule of manual transmissions... if it doesn't go, DONT force it, wait till it will go smoothly or double clutch and try again.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

hmm...thanks for the info on the short throw shifter. The shifter is the only thing I really DONT like about the car, this at least provides some alternatives to the subaru short throw kit.

Options

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback on the Accessories. I have a pretty good idea of what I want now.

However, there is some confusion to what comes with the different options groups. On the website I only see two.

Is this correct? Are there more options. I went to autos.yahoo.com and clicked options and there are like 10+ special packages. How do I learn more about those/include them in my order? Are they available for the STi?

Go to here:
    Subaru Impreza WRX | Build and Price Your Impreza WRX Sport Sedan
    and build one. When you get to accessories you can get a depscription of each one.

You can download the brochure and see what it package includes.
    https://www.subaru.com/shopping-tools/get-brochure.html